University's ranking VS Supervisor

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
m_s

University's ranking VS Supervisor

Post by m_s » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:27 am

As decisions' time is in some way approaching, I could really use some thoughts, as I am very confused.. :?
I was wondering what the most important factor when choosing a university is, provided that you later want to continue in the academics.. I tend to believe that an important advisor with "connections" is more important, but there are many people telling me that I should not overlook rankings and that I should choose the "biggest" of the universities that I was accepted into (non is top-tier).. What's your opinion on this?

Legendre

Re: University's ranking VS Supervisor

Post by Legendre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:02 am

For USA PhD, you might not find your adviser until the third year. A lot of things can change in 2 years. The ideal supervisor might take on too many students, leave, get busy with other projects etc.

phku

Post by phku » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:55 am

It ultimately comes down to your gut instinct man. I got accepted into a very decent school, but it has a smaller program and none of the professors specialize in what I want to go into. Because of that I decided to go into the lower ranked school that has a whole research center based around what I want to go into. The higher ranked school also had a very shitty climate, that kind of helped my decision too. :lol:

m_s

Post by m_s » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:59 am

phku wrote:It ultimately comes down to your gut instinct man. I got accepted into a very decent school, but it has a smaller program and none of the professors specialize in what I want to go into. Because of that I decided to go into the lower ranked school that has a whole research center based around what I want to go into. The higher ranked school also had a very shitty climate, that kind of helped my decision too. :lol:
That is exactly what I am thinking of.. The arguments are pretty similar too.. :P I am interested in Numerical Analysis & PDEs and I am thinking of going to Minnesota or Maryland instead of CMU due t same reasons..

elektron1999

Post by elektron1999 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:42 am

Interested in Minnesota? Are you going to the Open House? I got admitted there, and I will be declining a "top-offer" in order to attend Minnesota, just because I like it so much, the environment is great (I already visited last year) and also because the attention you may get from professors at "top-brand-name-schools" sometimes is pretty low. Minnesota is a good balance, still a very top school.

If you want more specific info, send me a private-message, I may have some good tips.

Take care! I hope you go to Minnesota, potential-future-classmate.