Advice appreciated

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mindreader

Advice appreciated

Post by mindreader » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:22 am

I am choosing between two schools and the deadline is today. I just got off the waitlist at cornell cam and am pretty thankful about it. I've been admitted to carnegie mellon math as well. naturally, I'd pick Cornell because of its overall reputation and the overwhelming breadth of its curriculum. the applied math program is more applied than that at Carnegie Mellon I believe but you can also choose to be involved with theory too.

Now what's making this decision difficult rather than straightforward is that Pittsburgh seems like a nice city while I don't know what to make of Ithaca. I've never been to both cities before and unfortunately I'm not from the US so I basically don't have time to do a campus visit. Has anyone been to both cities and if so, what are your thoughts? I know that Ithaca has many vibrant events throughout the year as well as art attractions and museums but do you guys think that at some point you'll run out of things to explore, etc.? Also are there any cities nearby Ithaca which are worth visiting, just to ensure that I wouldn't be "bored" after a long time...

Help much appreciated!

2help

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by 2help » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:12 am

mindreader wrote:I am choosing between two schools and the deadline is today. I just got off the waitlist at cornell cam and am pretty thankful about it. I've been admitted to carnegie mellon math as well. naturally, I'd pick Cornell because of its overall reputation and the overwhelming breadth of its curriculum. the applied math program is more applied than that at Carnegie Mellon I believe but you can also choose to be involved with theory too.

Now what's making this decision difficult rather than straightforward is that Pittsburgh seems like a nice city while I don't know what to make of Ithaca. I've never been to both cities before and unfortunately I'm not from the US so I basically don't have time to do a campus visit. Has anyone been to both cities and if so, what are your thoughts? I know that Ithaca has many vibrant events throughout the year as well as art attractions and museums but do you guys think that at some point you'll run out of things to explore, etc.? Also are there any cities nearby Ithaca which are worth visiting, just to ensure that I wouldn't be "bored" after a long time...

Help much appreciated!
Choose pittsburgh! I know there are many "vibrant" bars there!

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:48 am

Congratulations, mindreader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no doubt you would be accepted. I am so happy for you!! I do not know much about Ithaca, but if you can tolerate living in a quiet (but beautiful) college town, please choose Cornell! It's only 6 years anyway and research & learning will keep you entertained for sure. Also, you can always drive to NYC. I know it's a 4-hour drive but enjoying the scene along the way is also really fun.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 am

cooltrainer wrote:Congratulations, mindreader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no doubt you would be accepted. I am so happy for you!! I do not know much about Ithaca, but if you can tolerate living in a quiet (but beautiful) college town, please choose Cornell! It's only 6 years anyway and research & learning will keep you entertained for sure. Also, you can always drive to NYC. I know it's a 4-hour drive but enjoying the scene along the way is also really fun.
thanks very much cooltrainer. i am humbled at how supportive you are! :) all the best and maybe see you in new york state!