Attending same grad school as undergrad

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
AndyL

Attending same grad school as undergrad

Post by AndyL » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi, all.

I just talked to one of my professors. He was highly encouraging me to go to somewhere else for grad school, and said the department at my school almost never admits its own undergrads. Is it a common policy at top school? Btw, my undergrad institution is UCLA.

boo78

Re: Attending same grad school as undergrad

Post by boo78 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:14 am

That is a common policy, but is not always strictly followed. I know a professor who did his undergrad and phd at one ivy league school and is still a prof there. My undergrad school told me they would not admit me to grad school there because they felt I could get in somewhere much more prestigious, which I did. But if there are other things to consider, they may make an exception. For instance, I have a family, and my husband has just started a new career and our kids are very young. We really can't move right now, and were I in your situation I would be explaining this to the department. But if it's just that you like where you are and it's a good school, then you should still go somewhere else. Varied experiences are important.

cti112

Re: Attending same grad school as undergrad

Post by cti112 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:41 pm

I know this is a common policy, it is true in my school too, with very rare exceptions.
but the reason is mainly that my school has a very shitty undergrad math but very nice grad programs