OCTOBER 2009

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
aas56

OCTOBER 2009

Post by aas56 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:55 am

OK that was pretty hard. i left 7 unsolved question and i am not sure about 3-4 others . NOvember exam here i GO :D

stefan_s

Re: OCTOBER 2009

Post by stefan_s » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:34 pm

What % do you thing you got?

I answered ~55, and probably around 5-7 wrong... :(
What % would that be?

Im not trying to get into a math Phd program, but rather to an Operations Research Phd program.
Do you think a score like that is good enough?

Thanks

stefan_s

Post by stefan_s » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:35 pm

And yea,

It was harder than practice tests. At least it felt this way.

stefan_s

Post by stefan_s » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:16 pm

I hate myself

Quakerbrat

Post by Quakerbrat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:36 pm

I think the take-away point was this: Students are at a significant disadvantage due to the limited number of practice problems available. This exam had decidedly more theoretical questions than I have seen in the practice exams. So I guess I'll be taking it again in November.

Anyway, congratulations to the people that made it through this morning. See you guys again in November!

Quakerbrat

Post by Quakerbrat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Ummm...registration is closed for the November exam? Is there any way around this?

lime

Post by lime » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:30 pm

Quakerbrat wrote:Ummm...registration is closed for the November exam? Is there any way around this?
You can try stand-by testing.

Quakerbrat

Post by Quakerbrat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:38 pm

Lime, you might be my best friend. How do I go about that?

lime

Post by lime » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:57 pm

http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menu ... by_Testing

Standby Testing
Standby testing may be available if sufficient space, test materials, and staff are available at the test center. If you'd like to attempt to test as a standby, report to the test center by 8:15 a.m. with:

a completed registration form
standby testing fee of $50 (in addition to test fee)
acceptable photo ID.

Standby registration is not available for nonstandard testing accommodations, Monday testing, or testing in China (including Hong Kong), India, Korea, or Taiwan.

goodtrain

Post by goodtrain » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:07 pm

does anyone wanna share any questions?

diogenes

Post by diogenes » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:43 pm

I was bit disappointed my beloved abstract algebra was cut to two or so problems.

That said I had plenty of time, but then again maybe the pressure was off since this was "practice."

Also, it seemed that a lot of these problems are like AMC 12-ish questions.

jammidactyl

Post by jammidactyl » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:46 pm

First, wanted to say thanks for everyone that has posted answers to previous exams on this site. I only found out about it a few weeks ago, but it has been helpful!

Second, I wanted to complain about my experience this morning. The proctor at the UCSB site was a no-show! The test was cancelled! I've been in a daze all day. It was like the nightmare where you wake up and realize you missed the test, only in slow motion and it's not your fault.

The guy at ETS said they may have a make-up for this situation. We'll see what the situation is when they call back later this week. Otherwise, the local site is booked up for November. I was glad they answered their phone this morning and attempted to contact the proctor... but what the hell?! ARRRGH!

diogenes

Post by diogenes » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:18 pm

jammidactyl wrote:First, wanted to say thanks for everyone that has posted answers to previous exams on this site. I only found out about it a few weeks ago, but it has been helpful!

Second, I wanted to complain about my experience this morning. The proctor at the UCSB site was a no-show! The test was cancelled! I've been in a daze all day. It was like the nightmare where you wake up and realize you missed the test, only in slow motion and it's not your fault.

The guy at ETS said they may have a make-up for this situation. We'll see what the situation is when they call back later this week. Otherwise, the local site is booked up for November. I was glad they answered their phone this morning and attempted to contact the proctor... but what the hell?! ARRRGH!

Actually this seems completely logical for ETS. :?

Anyway, someone please pm with the answer about the mapping between the set of 5 elements and 3. :D

Quakerbrat

Post by Quakerbrat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:10 pm

lime wrote:http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menu ... by_Testing

Standby Testing
Standby testing may be available if sufficient space, test materials, and staff are available at the test center. If you'd like to attempt to test as a standby, report to the test center by 8:15 a.m. with:

a completed registration form
standby testing fee of $50 (in addition to test fee)
acceptable photo ID.

Standby registration is not available for nonstandard testing accommodations, Monday testing, or testing in China (including Hong Kong), India, Korea, or Taiwan.
Thanks so much for this Lime! I was pretty devastated on Saturday when I thought I could not retake the exam.

hershi

Post by hershi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:25 pm

Don't rush into retaking the exam. By the things you've written, it seems that it was a hard exam. Remember that the scores are re-scaled in order for different exams periods to be comparible. If you are sure that you, specifically, did badly on this one than it's reasonable to take it before getting the scores. Otherwise, most of the information is not available at this point.

Quakerbrat

Post by Quakerbrat » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:33 pm

hershi wrote:Don't rush into retaking the exam. By the things you've written, it seems that it was a hard exam. Remember that the scores are re-scaled in order for different exams periods to be comparible. If you are sure that you, specifically, did badly on this one than it's reasonable to take it before getting the scores. Otherwise, most of the information is not available at this point.
I'm stuck...not sure what to do. I would like to make sure that I get the highest score possible, it will obviously make my application stronger. But then, I may take it again and it is only a marginal improvement, in which case I have wasted over $150 bucks. Did you also sit in October?

Quakerbrat

Post by Quakerbrat » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:35 pm

jammidactyl wrote:First, wanted to say thanks for everyone that has posted answers to previous exams on this site. I only found out about it a few weeks ago, but it has been helpful!

This sounds like an absolute nightmare. Have they figured out a way to make the test up?

jammidactyl

Post by jammidactyl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:28 am

No call back yesterday. I'm going to call today to whine!

matter

Post by matter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:44 pm

I think it is easy to feel down about your performance on the test right after. I am going to forget about it until Nov 9 and get my scores, then I can worry about it. I decided on a cutoff point, if I get below it I will consider other options, if I get above it I will call it good.

jammidactyl

Post by jammidactyl » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:48 pm

Looks like there will be a make up test 24 October for those of us who were signed up at the UCSB center. Unfortunately, my motivation to continue studying was sapped this week. Gotta hit the books this weekend!

lime

Post by lime » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:09 pm

jammidactyl, that was really terrible story. From the other side, look at the bright side - you got some extra time to prepare. Good luck to you on Saturday!

sandraizbasa

Post by sandraizbasa » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:17 pm

I will attend this exam next week. I have searched all of this website but not found the answers to previous exams here... Can anyone give me a link?(Or do you mean the exams in the practice book?)
By the way, can anybody who just took the October exam post answers here? Thanks a lot!

Jfekety

Post by Jfekety » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Which tests are you refering to?

chalmok

Post by chalmok » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi everybody, I´m practicing to take the test next friday!! Hey diogenes, Do you really mean that the problems were like
the ones from AMC 12?? Like how much of the questions were theoretical ones??

Best regards!!

mag487

Post by mag487 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:18 am

How did the test compare to the sample test in Leduc?

lime

Post by lime » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:32 pm

Just to let you know guys... Scores for us, who were taken it in October are available now. They charge 12$ for letting you know the score. I myself used the Score By Phone service. Good luck to everyone!

P.S. It turned out that finally I got 99%.

diogenes

Post by diogenes » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:53 pm

lime wrote:Just to let you know guys... Scores for us, who were taken it in October are available now. They charge 12$ for letting you know the score. I myself used the Score By Phone service. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats big green! :mrgreen:

Now give us a rundown of your "secret sauce." :lol:

Nameless

Post by Nameless » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:10 pm

lime wrote:Just to let you know guys... Scores for us, who were taken it in October are available now. They charge 12$ for letting you know the score. I myself used the Score By Phone service. Good luck to everyone!

Lime, congrats !

Hope to see you soon :D

diogenes

Post by diogenes » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Nameless wrote:
Lime, congrats !

Hope to see you soon :D
Well, you can remain nameless, but perhaps not place-less? :wink: