Any suggestions for gap year?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Yuxun

Any suggestions for gap year?

Post by Yuxun » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:52 pm

Hey guys, so my applications for fall 2014 are pretty much rejected.

I am thinking about taking a gap year and trying to apply programs next year. Within this year, I will try to study both Gre general and gre subject to get better scores. Other than this, do you guys have any suggestions on what it is the best way to make full use of the time to increase my chance of getting into a program next year?

My undergrad gpa was really a failure....(overall slightly above 3.0, major 3.4) But this is something I cannot change anymore. So what are the things I can change?

Looking forward to you guys' replies. Thank you in advance!

dasgut

Re: Any suggestions for gap year?

Post by dasgut » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Do you have an MS?

Yuxun

Post by Yuxun » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:53 pm

dasgut wrote:Do you have an MS?
No, I will have a BA by the end of this semester.

poorasian

Post by poorasian » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:52 pm

One of my friends did nothing except a little private tutoring back home. After studying for the GRE again during the summer and getting a 60th percentile score on the GRE subject, he managed to get into a few programs in the 30-40 range on US News after getting into nowhere the year before.

Is it possible for you to do some research or directed reading with a professor this summer?

Yuxun

Post by Yuxun » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:44 pm

poorasian wrote:One of my friends did nothing except a little private tutoring back home. After studying for the GRE again during the summer and getting a 60th percentile score on the GRE subject, he managed to get into a few programs in the 30-40 range on US News after getting into nowhere the year before.

Is it possible for you to do some research or directed reading with a professor this summer?

Thank you, this is very encouraging to me! I have done a directed reading and this semester I am doing an independent study, but it's unlikely that I can do it during the summer. Do you think internships may help?

poorasian

Post by poorasian » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:36 pm

sure. also his GPA was something like 3.5 but my school is known for very low GPAs (average is a 2.70 or something).

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:49 pm

I'd consider an MS. It'd give you a chance to mitigate damage done by your undergrad GPA.

lowdt

Post by lowdt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:01 pm

dasgut wrote:I'd consider an MS. It'd give you a chance to mitigate damage done by your undergrad GPA.
Agreed - either an MS or taking a fifth year as an undergraduate will help your application, provided either situation goes well.