UPenn vs NYU for masters

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
broken_symlink

UPenn vs NYU for masters

Post by broken_symlink » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:00 pm

I've been accepted to a few schools. I think I've narrowed down my choices to UPenn for a masters in applied math and computational science or NYU for a masters in scientific computing.

I am personally leaning towards to UPenn because I'd like to do research and write a masters thesis and there is a professor I am interested in working with who has agreed to work with me.

However, I've been told that NYU and Courant specifically is one of the best applied math departments and that I should go there because of that. After looking at the scientific computing masters more closely though, I don't think I would get a lot out of it because I already have a BA in math and a BS in computer engineering. I've taken 5 of the 8 required courses on the list for the scientific computing masters and would basically be paying to retake them. I'm also not really sure who I would work with for a thesis. I've looked through the faculty list, and although there are people doing interesting work, no one really jumps at me.

I also think I might like to go for a PhD later, and it doesn't seem like I would be able to do that so easily with a masters in scientific computing. Whereas the program at Penn is flexible and they also actually have a PhD program where some masters students stay on.

Does anyone know anything about the scientific computing program at NYU or the applied math program at Penn?

monmon_4

Re: UPenn vs NYU for masters

Post by monmon_4 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:48 am

While I can't speak to the UPenn program, as an undergraduate student at Courant, I was very familiar with the CIMS and NYU faculty.

I think that the faculty at NYU is of the highest caliber. The professors are smart and the department frequently hosts networking events and colloquia to engage students. If you want to do research, the faculty is usually pretty open to arrangements with non-phd graduate students. I have personally been out of school for a while but still keep in touch with some of my old professors at Courant to discuss their research and engage in research projects -- mainly out of my own interest.

With respect to the scientific computing program, Courant has some very reputable researchers in this area that might be interesting for you to work with. Have you taken a look at the profiles of some of the computer science professors? At Courant, the line between the mathematics and computer science departments is somewhat blurred because professors frequently collaborate with one another. This might be interesting for you to know if your interest lies somewhere in between the two fields.

Hope that helps.

PS. Out of curiosity, when did you receive notice of acceptance from NYU? I'm still waiting to hear back from Courant actually as well -- for the MS in Mathematics.

broken_symlink

Post by broken_symlink » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:25 pm

I heard from them on April 15th.

Honestly, I feel like I kinda applied to wrong program. I probably should have applied for a masters in applied math at NYU instead. At the time the scientific computing masters seemed more practical. It says on the website that you can get transfer credit for up to 2 courses. Maybe I should look into that? I took grad level courses in numerical algorithms and graphics at Columbia as an undergrad.

The more I look into NYU though, the more I feel like I should just stick with my first choice and go to UPenn. I'm only considering NYU because my parents are pushing me to go there. They are the ones paying for my masters.

monmon_4

Post by monmon_4 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:52 pm

broken_symlink wrote:I heard from them on April 15th.

Honestly, I feel like I kinda applied to wrong program. I probably should have applied for a masters in applied math at NYU instead. At the time the scientific computing masters seemed more practical. It says on the website that you can get transfer credit for up to 2 courses. Maybe I should look into that? I took grad level courses in numerical algorithms and graphics at Columbia as an undergrad.

The more I look into NYU though, the more I feel like I should just stick with my first choice and go to UPenn. I'm only considering NYU because my parents are pushing me to go there. They are the ones paying for my masters.
Honestly, it sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. You won't find a stronger advocate for Courant than me (probably) -- I loved the place. But for your goals, I think you'd be making the right choice if you went to UPenn. That being said, your desire to pursue a phd would have been helped more by the MS in Mathematics program at Courant since it has the thesis component.

You should go for UPenn (plus you've already experienced living in NYC). Just my two cents.