Mathematics GRE

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
trazer_1121

Mathematics GRE

Post by trazer_1121 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:05 am

I just finished my 12 th grade and thought of taking a GRE subject test in maths. (I was bored). I googled GRE subject tests and came across this link - https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_math.pdf. I got 41 right wrong and the rest I left. Is this a reasonable score. I didnt know most of the topics in group theory (rings etc) but I like maths so I thought I'd give it a shot. I really want to get into a good college for my masters/phd in US.. so what is the score I should be looking to aim for. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You.

footballman2399

Re: Mathematics GRE

Post by footballman2399 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:30 am

Trust me. What you may think you want to do now you may not necessarily want to do once you get to college. In 12th grade, I was dead set on doing a PhD in psychology. Then I switched to financial engineering, then economics, and finally statistics. Your courses really shape what you end up being interested in, and high school-level math is quite different than college-level, where you will have to think abstractly and do lots of proofs. I think nowadays more than 2/3 of students switch their majors at least once throughout their college career.

Having said that, you said you "got 41 right wrong", which I assume you mean your raw score was 41. This is pretty impressive for someone your age as many people who pursue math PhDs will score at this level even after taking advanced level courses. However, if you want to get into a top PhD program in math (not statistics, not applied math, etc.), you will probably need to score at least close to the 90th percentile, and I would imagine one would need to score higher (others on this forum can provide you with better information on that).

trazer_1121

Re: Mathematics GRE

Post by trazer_1121 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:04 am

Woah thanks. Sorry I meant to say 41 right , 4 wrong and the rest I left. Well It might be different in the US but I actually study in India. So here after 12th you directly pick the stream your interested in, and pursue either your BTech or BSc degree. For instance I'm looking to study electrical engineering. So I don't have a lot of flexibility in changing my mind!