Master's in Mathematics after a Bachelor's in Economics

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Vertta12

Master's in Mathematics after a Bachelor's in Economics

Post by Vertta12 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:21 am

Is it possible to do a Master's in Mathematics after a Bachelor's in Economics?

I am currently an Economics student in my second year.I've come to realise that I'd like to study mathematics further (pure or applied) since I'm missing the subject ever since school ended. The maths in undergraduate Economics isn't too challenging.

There isn't too much flexibility in my university (I live in India and the education system is rigid) so I do not have an option to double major in Economics and Maths; although I will have two allied courses of Linear Algebra and Calculus as an add-on.

I've been a fairly good student in maths so far and I've already started to take on some of the undergraduate maths courses on my own. Would a good maths GRE score be sufficient to apply to a good university in the US? Could I also apply for an M.S. in Statistics?

seanlikesmath

Re: Master's in Mathematics after a Bachelor's in Economics

Post by seanlikesmath » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:07 am

I have a friend who is doing exactly this, though I believe he took some upper level undergrad courses before starting his MA. If you can work your way up to basic real and complex analysis, abstract algebra and maybe topology (though many math UGs miss this), you should be fine.

Also, contact the schools you want to apply to; there can be a great deal of variance.