Math PHD interviews

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Mathyyy

Math PHD interviews

Post by Mathyyy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:07 pm

Do graduate schools schedule interviews for a math PHD? A friend of mine was asked to schedule an interview with Yale. Does anyone know what that entails?

sara12

Re: Math PHD interviews

Post by sara12 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:36 pm

From the best of my knowledge, pure math PhD programs generally don't have interviews. Stats and Biostats programs regularly do. The only pure math schools I know of that interview are Vanderbilt and UNC. But there are very likely others!

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:47 pm

It depends on the program. I did have to have an interview with a potential advisor.

grad

Post by grad » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:17 am

Mathyyy wrote:Do graduate schools schedule interviews for a math PHD? A friend of mine was asked to schedule an interview with Yale. Does anyone know what that entails?
I was asked to do an interview as well. I'm very confused as to what that means. I'm not sure if it's going to be an intense interview in which they ask me tough questions about advanced math or if it's going to be more of a casual chat. Let me know if your friend has anything to say about it. My interview is scheduled for tomorrow.

Mathyyy

Post by Mathyyy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:27 am

grad wrote:
Mathyyy wrote:Do graduate schools schedule interviews for a math PHD? A friend of mine was asked to schedule an interview with Yale. Does anyone know what that entails?
I was asked to do an interview as well. I'm very confused as to what that means. I'm not sure if it's going to be an intense interview in which they ask me tough questions about advanced math or if it's going to be more of a casual chat. Let me know if your friend has anything to say about it. My interview is scheduled for tomorrow.
His is on Wednesday. He thinks it's going to be more on the casual side. Good luck on yours!

grad

Post by grad » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Mathyyy wrote:
grad wrote:
His is on Wednesday. He thinks it's going to be more on the casual side. Good luck on yours!
Hey. So I just had my interview. It was very casual. I think they basically just wanted to gauge my interest. So you can pass that along to your friend.