Call for Evaluate my application. ( I am very confused)

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
wangyao

Call for Evaluate my application. ( I am very confused)

Post by wangyao » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:18 pm

wangyao wrote:Undergrad Institution: Unknown university in china
Major(s): Polymer science ( It is about how to make tyre and rubber!)
Minor(s): None
GPA: 70/100

]grad Institution: Famous Asian university Ranked 50th in Times
Major(s): Informatics ( It is about computational complexity and algorithm!)
GPA: 2.5/3

]grad Institution:Unknown? European grad school in budapest (found in 199x, no idea how famous it is)
Major(s): Mathematics
GPA: 3.7/4

Type of Student: International Chinese Male
GRE Revised General Test: 2012
Q: 162 (83%) :shock:
V: 156 (71%)
W: 3 (11%) :oops:
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: first time before my second master 4x0 %31 not going to send this
M: second time during my mathematics master 750 %71 this is too low for International Chinese :oops:
IETLS/b] (IELTS 7 R8/L6.5/S6.5/W6)

Program Applying: Pure Math
Research Experience: A master thesis in Computer Science with some new finding on combinatorics. No publication.

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: No idea. Being a International Chinese makes things hard as always/
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: All maths courses I took except calculus are graduate level. Why, you can see from my CV above.
All letter from budapest. one strong from a famous professor in his field.

Applying to Where: All pure maths PhD. Interested in Algebraic Geometry and Representation Theory.

Reach
Texas MU - Pending
John Hopkins Pending
UNC chapter Hill Pending
Brandeis Pending
UCSD Pending
UC Irvine Pending
My own university Pending Will Take entrance exam in Feb 28
John Hopkins Pending

It is really hard to wait...

How is the chance there? I have never seen anybody with same background as mine.

20Char

Re: Call for Evaluate my application. ( I am very confused)

Post by 20Char » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:29 am

I am not sure if chance threads are appropriate for this forum, but in any case looking at your profile it is difficult to say how much experience you have with graduate level mathematics or how dedicated you are to mathematics rather than, say, computer science. Can you provide some detail here? Please list courses you took along with the texts used and approximate coverage of chapters. (My guess is that you went to CEU, though I don't know a thing about how the math is there.)

Your letters of recommendation are also very important given your strange background.

Your subject GRE is not bad but could be better and it is certainly possible to balance it out with other factors.

wangyao

Post by wangyao » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:57 am

Thanks for you reply. :P

Here comes the list.

First year

1 Introduction to Computer Science
2 Real Analysis B+
3 Basic Algebra (Isaac)
4 Probability Theory (Durrett) B
5 Complex Analysis
6 Cryptology
7 Extremal Graph
8 Functional Analysis(Brezis) B+
9 Basic Algebra II (Isaac)

Second year
1 Topics in Algebra
2 Representation Theory (William P. Ziemer)
3 Combinatorial Optimization
4 Combinatorial Geometry
5 Evolutionary Equation and Differential Equation (Morosanu)
6 Topics in Commutative Algebra ( Mastsumura)
7 Topics in Combinatorics.

audit
Representation Theory II(Lie representation)
Introduction to Commutative Algebra
Block Design.

I studied point set topology myself and a bit Category theory.
I feel that algebraic topology and differential geometry is missing. But due to the huge coursework, I couldn't pick more. I don't really feel I need AG specifically because AG on the complex field is same as commutative algebra of polynomial ring.

20Char

Post by 20Char » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Well, it seems you have a really good preparation in Algebra. Did you only have one semester of real analysis though? Could you also elaborate on the text used? The grade is a bit concerning there, as is the related lack of differential geometry. The lack of topology is also a bit concerning, but I think analysis is ultimately the most important, and then algebra/geometry/topology are second, depending on the program. It would be nice if one of your letters of recommendation spoke to your ability to do analysis, in spite of the grade. Speaking of your grades, the upwards trend is obviously a good thing to see.

Anyway, if the programs you're applying to are combinatorics (or rep theory) oriented then I'd say you have a strong case for them, especially given the original research you did. The poor GRE writing score can be balanced by a well-written personal statement so hopefully yours was good. You should have also included some information on the level of the courses you took, listing the texts you used. A little blurb about your topology preparation wouldn't hurt either. If you did not do this then it is not too late. You can edit your personal statement to include some information about this and then request that the graduate programs replace your existing statement. Many programs will accept new information until their seats are filled.

For now, just focus on doing well on the entrance exam and whatever happens, happens. Your time is best spent doing mathematics and perhaps relearning analysis.

wangyao

Post by wangyao » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:50 pm

Thanks a lot.
I really feel relieved.

I think one of my letter writer who is a big name in functional analysis said he think I am strong in analysis and he will indicate that in the recommendation letter.