Masters. NYU vs Warwick

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
julian.lee

Masters. NYU vs Warwick

Post by julian.lee » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:25 am

Hello guys, I'm having a difficult time choosing between masters offers from New York University and University of Warwick.
I'm a student from South Korea, freshly graduated, and I majored in Economics and Statistics, but suddenly changed my mind to major in mathematics at my final year. I intend to do a phd in math, but due to my short exposure to mathematics, couldn't apply to any phd programs and applied to masters instead. Offers from NYU and Warwick are most enticing, both 2 year programs.

My preference right now is Warwick for a number of reasons. First, I'm interested in stochastic analysis, and Warwick is one of the best in this area. In SPDE, they have Martin Hairer, the greatest name of the field, and also they have many courses that I can take on this area, so I think if I choose to pursue this field then it would be more advantageous to join Warwick. Also, I prefer the environment there. I heard Warwick is very collaborative, while NYU isn't so much interactive. And having compared the courses offered to masters students, I see that Warwick's courses are more advanced, I think this is a general aspect of UK schools.

That being said, I'm going to have to apply to schools in U.S. for phd in the future, and I think for that NYU may be better. I'm interested in UK schools as well, Warwick's surely a great option for phd, but UK schools offer much less scholarship to non EU students. Also, NYU says that masters students in their school are more favorably considered for phd applications. I don't know how much but this is what they say so...

Anyways both are great schools. The faculty profile seems great in both schools, though I'm not very sure what the reputation of professors in Warwick are to other top schools in the States. If there's anyone in this forum who can give me any advice, I'd sincerely appreciate.

MathCat

Re: Masters. NYU vs Warwick

Post by MathCat » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:41 pm

What's the difference in cost? Isn't NYU's tuition extremely high for masters students?

As an aside, you might consider posting this on thegradcafe forums.

julian.lee

Post by julian.lee » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:55 pm

Tuitions are similar, although I haven't done the conversion, they seem about the same. I'm expecting higher living costs in NY, but overall price difference isn't a major concern. I also posted this on the grad cafe forum, but they don't seem to get many replies, especially on math related posts:(

algebraicallyminded

Post by algebraicallyminded » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:07 pm

If you are from Korea, why not save money by doing your Master's in Korea and then go abroad for PhD? It's much cheaper that way and it is unlikely that big names matter at that stage. If you really need a better environment than in Korea, try search schools in Germany, as it will provide cheaper options with bigger names.