Applying to Masters Programs, need advice.

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
A2

Applying to Masters Programs, need advice.

Post by A2 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm a final year undergraduate student at a top institution in India pursuing my bachelor's in mathematics. I intend applying to Masters Programs in Applied /Computational Math. My GRE score is 319 with a quant score of 167. I don't intend retaking the GRE although I know I can improve my verbal score because I believe my quant score is good enough. I have taken all the coursework necessary for graduate study in undergrad. Other than that, I've done a few decent projects as part of my curriculum. My GPA in the required coursework is pretty high although the overall GPA is average. Decent SOP and LORs.

Also, since I'm not applying to Ph.D programs, I haven't take the GRE subject test (it's not compulsory for masters programs).
Can someone suggest good programs (top 25) in the US where I may have a chance?

Mathwhiz25

Re: Applying to Masters Programs, need advice.

Post by Mathwhiz25 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:28 pm

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... s-rankings
Try that site above and check out the universities yourself to see which ones match your interests and are good fits for your stats.

0o0o0o0

Post by 0o0o0o0 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:59 am

mm, my case is very similar with you, I have 323 in GRE(170 in Q) and 900 in sub, but I am not sure which statistic ms I should choose .
The weakness is my GPA in average although major GPA is pretty high and my paper need more time to finish and submit.(That's why I don't choose to apply phd).

Who can give some suggestions?

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:31 pm

0o0o0o0 wrote:mm, my case is very similar with you, I have 323 in GRE(170 in Q) and 900 in sub, but I am not sure which statistic ms I should choose .
The weakness is my GPA in average although major GPA is pretty high and my paper need more time to finish and submit.(That's why I don't choose to apply phd).

Who can give some suggestions?
What is your GPA? You don't need to have publications to get into a PhD program.