Profile Evaluation

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
yahoo36

Profile Evaluation

Post by yahoo36 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:44 pm

Hi, can I please get a profile evaluation. I'm thoroughly confused on my chances.

Undergrad Institution: Chennai Mathematical Institute
Major(s): Math and CS
Minor(s): N/A
GPA: 7.33/10
Type of Student: International (Indian Male)

Grad Institution: Chennai Mathematical Institute
Major(s): Pure Math
Minor(s): N/A
GPA: 8.45/10

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 167 (94%)
V: 163 (92%)
W: 4.5 (80%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 850 (88%)

Program Applying: Pure Math (Number Theory)

Research Experience: Ongoing masters thesis, Visiting students research program at TIFR.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: KVPY Fellow
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: None
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Lots of grad classes in different branches of math. At least 2-3 grad classes in Number Theory with excellent near perfect grades.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: No idea.

Applying to Where: (Color use here is welcome)
Michigan, Ann Arbor
UIUC
UCSD
Rutgers
Penn State
+3-4 other safeties not finalized yet

Recommenders; 1.Masters thesis supervisor: Should be fairly strong in my opinion
2.Project supervisor at TIFR: Should be fairly strong, again in my opinion
3.Instructor of course on Elliptic Curves and Modular Forms: Probably one of the top 3 number theorists in India. But reco may not be
too strong, will be average I guess. Got a 10 in the course in, but he sent my recommendation before this grade was out. Had some
personal interaction, often asking for suggestions on what papers to read after classes. He lectured me on two recent high-impact
papers in number theory in one-one discussions.

Some places allow me to submit more recos. So

4. Professor under whom I did a short reading seminar in number theory. Will not be more than average. He told me he'll mention that
I attended the seminar but will recommend me strongly. (don't know what that's supposed to mean.)
5.Professor who taught 2 graduate applied math courses-got perfect grades in both. Expected to write a strong letter. Told me he'd
write about how I got second highest marks in a course meant for PhD students. Topic not related to Number theory, however.

Any clue on my chances? Especially at Michigan and UIUC-they seem to have excellent number theory departments and seem a great fit for my interests. I haven't been able to finalize my safe schools yet. What about the GPA-too low?

Enigmatic

Re: Profile Evaluation

Post by Enigmatic » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:19 am

You might have better luck in contacting alumni of CMI at different universities. Since there are very few CMI grads out there, it is hard to benchmark against other students and for third parties to provide any comments.
At least in IITs, we always felt that CMI is equally good in most areas of CS and Math. In fact, one student left my IIT to join CMI's program and is currently at Stanford. I also know of another student doing his PhD at Cornell (both graduated in 2013). These people can judge your chances better than anyone in this forum.