What happens if four students from same institution applies to the same graduate school?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
yahoo36

What happens if four students from same institution applies to the same graduate school?

Post by yahoo36 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:26 am

This year, four students from my institute have applied to the same university-University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. As far as I can ascertain, their relative strengths and weaknesses are as follows:

Person 1: GPA-9.6/10 :) , good set of recommendations, Some good reading projects, two or three graduate courses in area of interest, GRE score-323, subject GRE score-53% :oops: ,

Person 2: GPA-9.2/10 :) , good set of recommendations, almost no reading project, ongoing masters thesis with great recommendation from thesis supervisor :) , no notable graduate course, especially in area of interest :oops: , GRE score-323, subject GRE-94% :)

Person 3: GPA-8.4/10 :oops: , mixed set of recommendations, one generic recommendation from a highly respected world-renowned mathematician :oops: , two great recommendations from thesis supervisors, masters thesis ongoing, large number of reading projects, 7-8 graduate courses in various areas with 3-4 PhD courses in area of interest all with near perfect grades :) , GRE score-330, subject GRE-88% :) , rising GPA

Person 4: GPA-8.4/10, moderately good recommendations, almost no reading or research experience, a grade of C in the only graduate course due to illness :oops: , GRE score-325, subject GRE-84%

Now, I know for certain that the admission committee at UMich knows the name of my institute and respects it highly. It took 2 students from my college last year and have admitted others before that. Whom do you think it may admit this year depending on above conditions? Person 4 has almost no chance in my opinion, but other 3 all have their strengths and weaknesses. Needless to say, I'm one of these 3. Can someone order their chances of admission?

Thanks in advance.

pat2211

Re: What happens if four students from same institution applies to the same graduate school?

Post by pat2211 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:53 am

it is very hard for them to accept more than 2 students. Person 1 will definitely be rejected since the standard for international students is 80%. There is a small chance that they will accept 3 out of 4 ( if most chinese students applying to Michigan this year are not very strong ).