Converting UK average to US GPA for grad applications (85% average/95th percentile)

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
zkx12345

Converting UK average to US GPA for grad applications (85% average/95th percentile)

Post by zkx12345 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi there,

I'm a UK student applying for maths PhDs in the US and some applications require me to convert my degree classification into GPA. I'm averaging around 85% (which puts me in the 95th percentile at my university, roughly). According to the 'official' Fulbright page here the lowest 1st class honours (70% average) works out at 3.67GPA. Interpolating this linearly would put my 85% average at around 3.84GPA. However, I've seen elsewhere that being anywhere above 95th percentile would put me at a 4.00GPA, which I'm under the impression is much better than 3.84. I know there is no accurate conversion between the two systems, but does anyone else have more experience/knowledge in what that corresponds to? I'm at a highly ranked (just below Oxbridge) uni for maths if that makes any difference, ranking 12th out of roughly 240 students. :)

Thanks!

crow1664

Re: Converting UK average to US GPA for grad applications (85% average/95th percentile)

Post by crow1664 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:07 am

Write a 4.0 if you has obtained a first for the first three years (which most possibly is the case). Don't worry much about some modules under 70 if you have such. It is ultimately bizarre that there is still no coherent methodology to translate between UK and US classifications, nowadays.

verysweetjuices

Re: Converting UK average to US GPA for grad applications (85% average/95th percentile)

Post by verysweetjuices » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:46 am

That's odd because every application I have filled out has specifically told me NOT to convert my GPA. Personally, I'd put 3.84 GPA because it is more accurate... if you're at a really hard school and you have a 2.5 GPA and that puts you in the 99th percentile, you're still just a 2.5 GPA.
Then just explain that it means 95th percentile and whatever else in your personal statement. They'll get the hint, especially if your school is as well known as you say.