low CGPA High MathGPA

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Monquin

low CGPA High MathGPA

Post by Monquin » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:10 pm

I have completed a degree in a non-Math degree with a low GPA. I am going back to school to complete a degree in economics and math.

I have just began studying the process for applying to PhD programs.

Will the admission committees at school mainly look at the Math GPA or will they see my GPA from my first degree and automatically reject me?
Is the answer to this school-specific? (Ex: Princeton will see a low GPA from first degree and reject me, regardless of the 4.0 I receive from my math/economics degree where Random School B will see that I have a 4.0 in Math courses and potentially accept me).

I am beginning Math and Economics in the Spring 2017 semester, so I don't actually have a 4.0. I was just giving that as an extreme example.

I'm basically wondering how applications are viewed.
I know that in Medical school applications, the CGPA is needed to be high, but a high Science GPA can mend the wound of a low CGPA for a number of schools...as will a high MCAT score...but a high Graduate studies GPA will not "make up" for a low CGPA or Science GPA.

So, if anyone can tell me the ways schools may look at a low CGPA from my first degree, I will be appreciative.
Will the degrees be viewed at the same time or will the GPAs be calculated separately since I have already finished my first degree?

Thank you for any and all help.

verysweetjuices

Re: low CGPA High MathGPA

Post by verysweetjuices » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:36 pm

Monquin wrote:I have completed a degree in a non-Math degree with a low GPA. I am going back to school to complete a degree in economics and math.

Will the admission committees at school mainly look at the Math GPA or will they see my GPA from my first degree and automatically reject me?
Is the answer to this school-specific? (Ex: Princeton will see a low GPA from first degree and reject me, regardless of the 4.0 I receive from my math/economics degree where Random School B will see that I have a 4.0 in Math courses and potentially accept me).

I am beginning Math and Economics in the Spring 2017 semester, so I don't actually have a 4.0. I was just giving that as an extreme example.

I know that in Medical school applications, the CGPA is needed to be high, but a high Science GPA can mend the wound of a low CGPA for a number of schools...as will a high MCAT score...but a high Graduate studies GPA will not "make up" for a low CGPA or Science GPA.

So, if anyone can tell me the ways schools may look at a low CGPA from my first degree, I will be appreciative.
Will the degrees be viewed at the same time or will the GPAs be calculated separately since I have already finished my first degree?

You can lie and omit this information, you know. They will never know. If your GPA with your second degree is higher than the previous, only submit stuff having to do with the second GPA. IF you submit everything, they'll make a judgement call based on everything you give them.

Monquin

Post by Monquin » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:43 pm

verysweetjuices wrote:
Monquin wrote:I have completed a degree in a non-Math degree with a low GPA. I am going back to school to complete a degree in economics and math.

You can lie and omit this information, you know. They will never know. If your GPA with your second degree is higher than the previous, only submit stuff having to do with the second GPA. IF you submit everything, they'll make a judgement call based on everything you give them.
I could lie, but I doubt they will never know. I was on financial aid during the entirety of my first degree. Anyone with my information (schools I apply to will have the necessary information) will be able to see every school I have attended.
Will I be contacted regarding the missing transcript(s) from my first degree?
Have you successfully been admitted to a program in this way? Is this legitimate or will my admission be at risk of being rescinded if they later find out I have a degree I never submitted transcripts for?

Thank you for your help.

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Monquin wrote:
verysweetjuices wrote:

I could lie, but I doubt they will never know. I was on financial aid during the entirety of my first degree. Anyone with my information (schools I apply to will have the necessary information) will be able to see every school I have attended.
Will I be contacted regarding the missing transcript(s) from my first degree?
Have you successfully been admitted to a program in this way? Is this legitimate or will my admission be at risk of being rescinded if they later find out I have a degree I never submitted transcripts for?

Thank you for your help.
Most schools require that you divulge all information regarding previous degrees. They do say that they can ignore your application if they find out you lied about anything, that's true. But I doubt very much anything happens. It's probably mostly just legalese.
To be clear, if you are just beginning your degree in Math and Economics in 2017, by the time you apply, you'll only have the GPA of your previous degree to send them.
If you are planning to attend graduate school in 2021, I think they'd look at your most recent grades.
In any case you should ask them. E-mail schools you don't plan on applying to, like Harvard/Caltech/Yale/MIT your exact question. See what they say. They can give you far better answers than we can give you here.

ghostfish

Post by ghostfish » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:33 am

Honesty is always the best policy. If you get good grades your second go-around, you can emphasize your improvement in your statement of purpose. In any case, you should be transparent about your grades. As previously mentioned, you could contact various graduate programs about your situation (maybe try this in summer or early fall when they're not being swamped by applications and emails).

Monquin

Post by Monquin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:10 pm

I understand. I do not want to omit my first degree unless it is a legitimate way to apply, which it seems that it is not legitimate.

I am having difficulty deciding on programs. I will do a search on programs and email programs individually.
Thank you.

Linda

Post by Linda » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:50 am

Would be nice if you share with us what you will find out. Thank you in advance.