Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
young556646

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Post by young556646 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:26 pm

ponchan wrote:
young556646 wrote:
ponchan wrote:Is anyone else on he wait list for Duke? I'm wondering how large it is.
I'm also on the waitlist but I believe it is small.
Have you heard from anyone? Or are you basing this on the fact that only one or two on gradcafe said they were put on the wait list.
Latter, I am one of them. Also, there are almost no posts claiming acceptance after the first round in last few years.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:29 pm

I don't see any people wait listed from the last couple of years. Hopefully that bodes well for us.

KYDKON95

Post by KYDKON95 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:55 pm

oniongood wrote:
KYDKON95 wrote:Hello there guys. Does anyone know when does the ASU sends out funding decisions? I can't find a pattern in Gradcafe
I was accepted into the Applied Math Ph.D. last year (12.31 lol) but still haven't heard anything about funding decisions yet :roll: ; this is taking too long...
I emailed them they told that they had only a few TA offers to make and they're already out . Unlikely to make a second round

KYDKON95

Post by KYDKON95 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Worse than that is that a 50k grand my uni gives every year to PhD students that go to the US got cancelled. I'm starting to get really worried here

superballzach

Post by superballzach » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:53 pm

For you all that are getting a bunch of acceptances, remember to decline offers from schools as soon as you're sure you don't want to accept them. It may just help us mere mortals!

Mr.Scholze

Post by Mr.Scholze » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:59 am

There will be info from 3 places today.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:37 pm

Mr.Scholze wrote:There will be info from 3 places today.
Boiiii where is your evidence?

Mr.Scholze

Post by Mr.Scholze » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 pm

djysyed wrote:
I guess

Yello

Post by Yello » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:49 pm

djysyed wrote:
I think he was wrong yesterday. So I doubt he has a source.

He is also clearly a student. Looking at his post history

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Yello wrote: He is also clearly a student. Looking at his post history
He said he doesn't have evidence wth lol.

Mr.Scholze

Post by Mr.Scholze » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:56 pm

djysyed wrote:
Yello wrote: He is also clearly a student. Looking at his post history
He said he doesn't have evidence wth lol.
I just guess according to the previous year data.

FourierTransformer

Post by FourierTransformer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Anyone else get accepted to Johns Hopkins would disclose their stipend? Mine is at 30K and I feel like that's kind of high for math phd programs. I'm just wondering if that's the base or if they're paying me more.

Yello

Post by Yello » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:23 pm

FourierTransformer wrote:Anyone else get accepted to Johns Hopkins would disclose their stipend? Mine is at 30K and I feel like that's kind of high for math phd programs. I'm just wondering if that's the base or if they're paying me more.
That’d be a good stipend for math, but make sure to factor in the living wage of the city. Baltimore could be a lot more expensive than you think. Regardless, 30k would easily suffice.

ethanmhny

Post by ethanmhny » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:48 pm

FourierTransformer wrote:Anyone else get accepted to Johns Hopkins would disclose their stipend? Mine is at 30K and I feel like that's kind of high for math phd programs. I'm just wondering if that's the base or if they're paying me more.
might be cost-of-living related? I noticed some of the LA schools had larger stipends than most other programs I was looking at, figured that was probably why. Might be the same thing here. Don't know anything about JH, geography-wise, but if it's anywhere near DC I know that area's pretty expensive

blahquaker

Post by blahquaker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:03 pm

you can always check the AMS find a grad program page to see if they've shared that info. they have $25000 on their page for last year. it's possible that $30000 is the base for next year. http://www.ams.org/cgi-bin/agf/agf.cgi? ... _id=201755

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:16 pm

Another rather quiet day, hope this means they're all coming in at once soon!

young556646

Post by young556646 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:36 pm

Is the berkeley rejection posted in gradcafe real? I'm not ready to get one :(

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:05 pm

Dear Applicant:

I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for admission to the Ph.D. program in Mathematics at the University of California, Berkeley. This is your official notification.

The department receives a very large number of applications and can only admit a limited number of students. We have to turn down many qualified candidates who are capable of excellent achievement. For the 2019-20 admissions cycle, we received 549 applications for a target class size of 33. After reviewing your file the admissions committee was unable to recommend that you be admitted to the program.
Due to the large volume of applications we received this year, we cannot accommodate providing feedback on individual decisions.
We will keep your 2019-2020 electronic application materials on file for 2 years; however, if you wish to apply again in the future, you will need to submit another Graduate Admissions online application.
Despite this outcome, we hope that you are able to pursue your studies elsewhere, and wish you well in your future endeavors.
Yours sincerely,

Prof. Jon Wilkening

Vice Chair for Graduate Studies

Department of Mathematics

julienguyen

Post by julienguyen » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:01 am

To those who interviewed with UCI:

did you guys hear anything back from them yet? There are two acceptances on grad cafe already so I'm a little anxious. I interviewed with them last week and am not really sure how close an interview is to an acceptance there.

hachiryu

Post by hachiryu » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:05 am

julienguyen wrote:To those who interviewed with UCI:

did you guys hear anything back from them yet? There are two acceptances on grad cafe already so I'm a little anxious. I interviewed with them last week and am not really sure how close an interview is to an acceptance there.
I was interviewed for UC Irvine in early January, and I was accepted today. (You can see my "2019 applicant profile" for dates etc.)

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Looks like someone on grad cafe got into NYU.

prospectivestudent69

Post by prospectivestudent69 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:39 pm

MMDE wrote:Looks like someone on grad cafe got into NYU.
I'm not seeing anything else though, hopefully this one is fake or there are more acceptances being sent out today

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:53 pm

prospectivestudent69 wrote:
MMDE wrote:Looks like someone on grad cafe got into NYU.
I'm not seeing anything else though, hopefully this one is fake or there are more acceptances being sent out today
His comment seems to make the post look like a troll.

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:04 pm

Anyone know when Northwestern will get back? As far as I know, they've been completely silent so far...

hrzq

Post by hrzq » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:54 pm

Does anyone know if and how the NSF GRFP is affected by the government shutdown, and in particular whether there are any delays anticipated in releasing decisions? Thanks!

mook713

Post by mook713 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:02 pm

The government shutdown, or so a professor told me, forced the NSF to cancel the mathematicians' review panels. However, the NSF themselves will judge the applications and, provided there isn't another shutdown, will try to be timely in getting the responses back.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Just got an acceptance from University of Southern California, anyone else hear back from them?

kbm96

Post by kbm96 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Just need to vent a little bit to feel better...

Literally every day, I check and recheck the 2019 application post on this website and thegradcafe. I know it isn't a good thing to do, but I can't help it and I know a lot of you feel the same way! It just really sucks seeing that a lot of the schools that you applied to have given out first rounds recently and you still have gotten nothing. I know I had pretty terrible mgre scores and mediocre general gre scores, but I was hoping that my CV/resume/experience would seriously make up for that. I also have a pretty good GPA (out of a billion math classes, only two slightly hurt my GPA). I also know that my recommendations were very good.

Part of me is fretting that I should have applied to more schools lower on the list (like past the 50 mark). And I wish I could have applied to more schools!! I see people applying to a million schools while I could only afford applying to 6 schools unfortunately. Yeah yeah yeah, I haven't gotten rejected from anywhere yet, which I'm telling myself is a good thing and I should stay hopeful. It's just hard. I really just want to get one acceptance, so at least I KNOW that I'll be going to grad school in the fall. Even if I only get accepted to 1/6 in the end, I'll be happy because at least I was good enough to go somewhere. I just know that if I don't get into anywhere this semester, I won't be reapplying next year. :oops:

Okay okay, vent over. Just needed to get it out of my system and I'm sure others can relate. Overall, I am super super happy for people who have received acceptances and hope everyone gets what they want!

hachiryu

Post by hachiryu » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:00 pm

Maybe you want to stay in the USA, but you can always apply to schools in Europe as well. The applications for European schools won't cost you any money!! In general you'll be applying to Masters programmes rather than doctoral programmes. However, if you carry out a doctorate outside of the USA after finishing a masters, the total study time will still only be five-years-ish since doctorates are usually three years in europe/england/asia etc.

Good luck! I hope you hear back soon!

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:19 pm

Apply to Wesleyan. Their app is due the 15th, it's free, and they don't require GRE scores so that saves even more money. 31k stipend doesn't hurt either.

isometry

Post by isometry » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:39 am

kbm96 wrote:I just know that if I don't get into anywhere this semester, I won't be reapplying next year.
Don't give up on your math dreams, friend. Persistence is an invaluable trait and if you use all of lessons you'll have learned this round, there's no reason you can't get in next time. It's looking like I'm going to get rejected from all of my schools and I'm already thinking ahead to see how I can improve my chances for next time.

'tis but a minor setback. Keep going!

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:04 am

kbm96 wrote:I just know that if I don't get into anywhere this semester, I won't be reapplying next year. :oops:
I didn't get in anywhere last year :mrgreen:

hopeful

Post by hopeful » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:05 am

Bottomology wrote:Anyone know when Northwestern will get back? As far as I know, they've been completely silent so far...
Hopefully never so I can still dream.

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:31 am

isometry wrote:
kbm96 wrote:I just know that if I don't get into anywhere this semester, I won't be reapplying next year.
Don't give up on your math dreams, friend. Persistence is an invaluable trait and if you use all of lessons you'll have learned this round, there's no reason you can't get in next time. It's looking like I'm going to get rejected from all of my schools and I'm already thinking ahead to see how I can improve my chances for next time.

How would one improve if they've exhausted all math courses at their institution. I could always join another school or do a year long MS, but I won't have time for that to show on my application and it'll also cost a great deal of money.

finnlion

Post by finnlion » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:32 am

Central Michigan is due the 15th and they have funded master’s programs.

FourierTransformer

Post by FourierTransformer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Is there any canonical way to go about turning down an offer. The graduate director at a school I got accepted to but am no longer interested in has emailed me. I'm sort of just scared to turn them down and still be received kindly.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:57 pm

FourierTransformer wrote:Is there any canonical way to go about turning down an offer. The graduate director at a school I got accepted to but am no longer interested in has emailed me. I'm sort of just scared to turn them down and still be received kindly.
"Hello (school name),

I regret to inform you that you have not been selected as my future graduate program. This is your official notification.

I received a very large number of acceptances and can only choose a limited number of programs. I have to turn down many prestigious programs who are capable of making me an excellent mathematician. For the 2019-20 admissions cycle, I received 2 acceptances but am only able to choose 1 program. After reviewing your program, I was unable to find a reason to choose yours over other qualified programs.

Despite this outcome, I hope that you are able to find other qualified students elsewhere, and wish you well in your future endeavors.

Yours sincerely,
(insert your name)"

eljasow

Post by eljasow » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:04 pm

djysyed wrote:
FourierTransformer wrote:Is there any canonical way to go about turning down an offer. The graduate director at a school I got accepted to but am no longer interested in has emailed me. I'm sort of just scared to turn them down and still be received kindly.
"Hello (school name),

I regret to inform you that you have not been selected as my future graduate program. This is your official notification.

I received a very large number of acceptances and can only choose a limited number of programs. I have to turn down many prestigious programs who are capable of making me an excellent mathematician. For the 2019-20 admissions cycle, I received 2 acceptances but am only able to choose 1 program. After reviewing your program, I was unable to find a reason to choose yours over other qualified programs.

Despite this outcome, I hope that you are able to find other qualified students elsewhere, and wish you well in your future endeavors.

Yours sincerely,
(insert your name)"
That’s gold

KYDKON95

Post by KYDKON95 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:43 pm

djysyed wrote:
"Hello (school name),

Yours sincerely,
(insert your name)"
I love this. It's absolutely awesome.

optimisticnihilist

Post by optimisticnihilist » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:47 pm

djysyed wrote: "Hello (school name),

Yours sincerely,
(insert your name)"
Can somebody who's fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances already try this out for real and let us know how it goes? I'm genuinely curious as to how the graduate committee at a school would react!

neptunian

Post by neptunian » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:32 pm

I just received my rejection from Cornell.
Last edited by neptunian on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tk9876

Post by Tk9876 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:43 pm

I only applied to masters programs, most of which also have phd programs as well. Is it common for them to send out phd acceptances first before masters candidates ?

lindal

Post by lindal » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:19 pm

lzxnl wrote:I got an email from a MIT professor saying that he's interested in me (I mentioned wanting to work with him in my application) and telling me that while he's trying to get me admitted, admissions are tight and that he's 'not in charge of them'. He was also happy to ask and answer some questions. This suggests that Applied Maths offers are probably still coming. Maybe I'll get one?
Have you heard anything more? I'm also waiting for MIT applied math so your post gives me hope! But I'm worried that it's getting rather late.

young556646

Post by young556646 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:07 pm

Rejections from Cornell and Columbia.

isometry

Post by isometry » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 pm

MMDE wrote:
isometry wrote:

How would one improve if they've exhausted all math courses at their institution. I could always join another school or do a year long MS, but I won't have time for that to show on my application and it'll also cost a great deal of money.
That's something most of us here can't answer. If there was some way of eliciting feedback from the schools that rejected you, you could use that to focus on your weak points. However, given the nature of the application process, that's probably unlikely. I'd consult with one of your letter writers or another professor and ask them to identify any reasons why they would not offer you admission.

eljasow

Post by eljasow » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:50 pm

Know of any applied PhD programs that take applications as late as now? Asking for a friend...

oniongood

Post by oniongood » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:21 pm

Anyone knew if Cornell Applied Math is still sending acceptances, or I can just wait for the "we regret to..." :?:

lambert

Post by lambert » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 pm

optimisticnihilist wrote:
djysyed wrote: "Hello (school name),

Yours sincerely,
(insert your name)"
Can somebody who's fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances already try this out for real and let us know how it goes? I'm genuinely curious as to how the graduate committee at a school would react!
"What a smug asswipe, remember not to let this person in when / if they apply for a postdoc here" probably

Tk9876

Post by Tk9876 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:05 pm

Accepted to George Washington University Masters in Math and Wake Forest Masters in Math.

dtb7793

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Post by dtb7793 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 am

whatsamath wrote:I took the mGRE this past april. I come from a small liberal arts school and I got a score that is pretty average for our program (less than 40%). I'd like to think I'm a good enough student to go to grad school, have a good amount of math courses and even one reu under my belt but this mGre is really making me doubt. I am registered to take it in a week but I have such senioritis, it's the part of my application I've been focusing on less and have been tossing to the side. Can anyone relate? I am indeed sweating :cry:
A few close friends and I come from a very similar situation. We went to a small liberal arts college in the PNW, got low mGRE scores our first few shots at it (low 30% for me). I had some research but it wasn't an reu so it didn't have much credibility.

But try not to let the mGRE get you down, I know some really strong mathematicians (classmates) that didn't do too hot on it but have ended up publishing early in their career. The mGRE is it's own beast that exists just because standardized testing is a thing. A hurdle to jump through but does not determine success.

Hope this helps calm some nerves.