2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
billionaire

Re: 2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Post by billionaire » Tue May 21, 2019 6:52 pm

young556646 wrote:
billionaire wrote:
Hello young556646

Thanks for offering your thoughts.

I respect your view, however I disagree.

What will be upper division of math for you ?

GRE Mathematics subject test, covers : differential and integral calculus, linear and abstract algebra, number theory, real analysis, topology, discrete mathematics, combinatorics, algorithms, probability and statistics, numerical analysis etc. , what kind of math you had on mind as upper/advanced ?

What would be top graduate schools totally happy with 800 for you ? U Chicago, Columbia, Berkeley, Harvard,Yale, UCLA, Duke, Cornell, Brown ?

Or Rutgers, Penn State, GTech, UCSD, ?

Btw, congrats on 900/94% :wink: 8)

None of standardize tests, has much to do with research or research potential.

Then, what about (general test) GRE Math which is high school math joke ??

How is that relevant ?

Or GRE verbal, which is just like advanced TOEFL ???

As far as I can see yso6 had high GPA, two REUs resulted in one paper accepted up to revision by a decent journal...a decent profile overall.

How you evaluate more reliable evidences research potential ??

Just publication in journal or ?

Does somebody really needs publication in journal to be awesome PhD candidate ?

Thanks in advance...and congrats on admission to Rutgers and Penn State 8)
GRE Math is just for checking the minimum required knowledge for beginning graduate students. High score of GRE does not mean higher research potential, but a too low score in GRE means that the student is not ready for the graduate school and likely to fail in quals. That's why schools require, but not heavily rely on, the GRE Math. GRE verbal is, in many cases, a university-level requirement for graduate students and I believe that math departments do not put heavy weight on it.
Also, I don't mean that yso6 is not an awesome PhD candidate. I just said GRE Math does not mean everything. But remember that yso6 is not the only awesome candidate- there are hundreds of such awesome candidates with perfect GPA or amazing letters of recommendation/SOP or wonderful research experience (of course some have all of them in addition to 990 in GRE Math). It is not strange that someone with near perfect GPA and GRE Math together with great research experience, just like yso6, get rejected from some programs, because those programs can easily fill their class with students with even better scores and better(in their perspective) letters of recommendations/SOP.

Hi @young556646

I dont believe you have answered any of my questions. :)

Let me repeat them once again.

What is upper division of math for you, not tested on GRE Math subject test ?

Top graduate schools totally happy with 800 fall in U Chicago or Rutgers category ?

The rest about overall profile and "research potential" is just common sense already known.

Thanks 8)

solveit

Post by solveit » Thu May 23, 2019 3:54 am

billionaire wrote: Hi @young556646

I dont believe you have answered any of my questions. :)

Let me repeat them once again.

What is upper division of math for you, not tested on GRE Math subject test ?

Top graduate schools totally happy with 800 fall in U Chicago or Rutgers category ?

The rest about overall profile and "research potential" is just common sense already known.

Thanks 8)
Not young556646, but the analysis and algebra covered on the mGRE is a joke, and the mGRE doesn't even try to cover anything more advanced than that. I assure you that pretty much everyone accepted by the schools that rejected yso6 knows a lot more maths than is covered on the mGRE. Hell, I'm dead certain that yso6 knows a lot more maths than is covered on the mGRE.

FewOfMyFavoriteRings

Post by FewOfMyFavoriteRings » Wed May 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top Liberal Arts School (LAC)
Major(s): Mathematics
Minor(s): N/A but took many courses in computer science and physics
GPA: 3.92/4.0 overall, all A's in major
Type of Student: domestic white female

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 169 (96%)
V: 164 (94%)
W: 4.5 (82%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 680 (55%)

TOEFL Score: N/A

Program Applying: Pure Mathematics Ph.D. (interest in algebra and number theory)

Research Experience: Computer Science research at home institution for one summer, and two top REUs. Also did significant independent research in high school earning several awards.
Publications and Talks: Presented at JMM twice, once for each REU and well as MathFest once. Both REUs resulted in a paper submission, one is accepted pending revisions, the other is under review. High school research also recently submitted for publication and under review.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Department award for top two sophomores in math, school fellowship for women in STEM research providing ~$14,000 in funding through stipends, research funding, and travel funding.
Goldwater Honorable Mention both years eligible. MAA Outstanding Presentation award (MathFest) and MAA Outstanding Poster award (JMM).
High school: Intel STS finalist and Intel ISEF 4th place.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutored every year of college as well as some in high school. Worked as a TA for 6 semesters (discrete math, abstract algebra, intro number theory). Math Camp counselor one summer. Worked for elementary school outreach teaching programming.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Involved in AWM chapter at school as well as leadership in the math department student advisory board. Two very strong letters of recommendation (submitted 4 where allowed). One letter writer from an REU at another school is very famous and recognized in their field. Advanced coursework includes: Galois theory, algebraic number theory, topology, quandles and (virtual) knot theory, algebraic geometry, measure and ergodic theory, representation theory, and analytic number theory.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Applied for NSF GRFP.

Applying to Where:
Reach:
Stanford Rejected (2/22/19)
Berkeley Admitted (1/31/19), Chancellor's Fellowship (2/28/19), ATTENDING!!!
MIT Rejected (2/12/19)

(Expected) Match:
U of Washington notified on short list (3/6/19), formally admitted (3/10/19)
U of Michigan Admitted (2/1/19)
Brown Admitted (2/4/19)
Cornell Admitted (2/4/19)
U of Wisconsin-Madison Admitted (2/12/19)

Safety:
U of Oregon Admitted (1/25/19), Promising Scholar Award (2/19/19)
CU Boulder Admitted (2/18/19)

imjonsnow362

Post by imjonsnow362 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:25 am

mmw wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:28 pm

Research Experience: RIPS @ UCLA (Applied/Math Modeling) after sophomore year ... would totally recommend! Pays well, you learn a lot, good mix of research & internship experience. Resulting long-form talk at JMM & internship for following summer in the aerospace industry (and for grad school summers)

Hi can you tell me the whole procedure of how you got into RIPS ?
I couldn't find abything on the internet