Where to apply, from small school

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
saus

Where to apply, from small school

Post by saus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:16 pm

I'm double majoring in German/math at a small reputable liberal arts college. By the time I graduate I will have taken:
Calc III
Linear Algebra
DiffEq
Transition to Abstract Math
Number Theory
Geometry
Abstract Algebra
2 semesters Analysis
2 semesters 300 level Statistics
I also did an REU at PennState. Otherwise no research experience. Can probably get good letters.. My profs and I speak somewhat regularly but at the same time I avoid it.

Which are all the classes I could possibly take from my college considering scheduling conflicts.

My question is what do admissions people think about the circumstances surrounding one's education, specifically unrelated majors, extracurricular activities, and small schools having fewer class offerings.

I'm also wondering about what schools to apply to. I'm not interested in any particular field. I would really like to stay close to home. The simplest way would be to just apply to all the local schools that have programs - good/bad idea?. Are there really bad grad programs out there? What would going to a school ranked like 70 or 100 mean for my time there and afterwards, if it comes to that?

And I'd also like to verify.. funding: I should expect to not have to pay for anything (with TAing) for so many years, right?