TOEFL Waiver

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
lippyrogue

TOEFL Waiver

Post by lippyrogue » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:50 pm

Context: I'm an undergraduate in a Canadian university and I'm applying to grad school this year.

I just realised that 2 schools that I'm applying to (Princeton and MIT, just in case anyone know how these particular schools handle this kind of case) exempts my TOEFL requirement only if I attend an English speaking university for at least 3 years. Unfortunately I'm going to graduate in 2 years and 8 months (I started in September 2016 and will finish in April 2019). This is a full degree that usually take 4-5 years to complete (as in I didn't transfer into my current university from another non-english speaking uni). Do you think they'll still waive my TOEFL requirement? If not will they at least consider my application as it is? Idk if this helps but I am certain that my letter writers can testify that my english is adequate.

Update: Both school waived my TOEFL requirement. It turns out that what they meant by 3 years is 3 academic years.
Last edited by lippyrogue on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DDswife

Re: TOEFL Waiver

Post by DDswife » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:35 pm

Ask them. If they don’t, take a class after you graduate to complete the 3 years, or postpone your graduation

lippyrogue

Post by lippyrogue » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:13 pm

DDswife wrote:Ask them. If they don’t, take a class after you graduate to complete the 3 years, or postpone your graduation
Yeah I asked them just now but I'm not expecting replies anytime soon for obvious reason. I applied to other schools (and will hopefully get into some of them) so I'm definitely not postponing my graduation. Thanks.

athulyaram

Post by athulyaram » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:16 pm

I don't think it'll be an issue if you are from an English-speaking country. Just send an email and clarify this. But I don't think you'll hear back from them until after the holidays.

Leida

Post by Leida » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:44 pm

MIT could waive. I have asked them. For Princeton, no they don't.

The best way is to retake the toefl.