Negotiating funding

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
julienguyen

Negotiating funding

Post by julienguyen » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:25 pm

I'm considering emailing this school that I'm planning to attend to negotiate funding (stipend,etc.) They haven't sent out financial package but they did say what their TA salary typically is. Compared to other schools that admitted me, the amount is lower (though not much). Do you think I should try to negotiate with the department or do you think it might burn bridges/give bad impressions?

acrt19

Re: Negotiating funding

Post by acrt19 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:53 pm

A school I visited actually encouraged us to negotiate funding if we had better offers.

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:54 pm

If you will choose to attend this school if they offer you more, then you can say so. (E.g. you are my top choice program, but the funding is not sufficient.) If you're just curious but it's not your top choice, don't waste anyone's time.

Funding shouldn't be the deciding factor... as long as it is a sufficient amount, go to the place that is the best fit for you. In the long run, that will matter more.

kp

Post by kp » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:19 pm

acrt19 wrote:A school I visited actually encouraged us to negotiate funding if we had better offers.
Can I ask which school?

pitalla

Post by pitalla » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:24 am

kp wrote:
acrt19 wrote:A school I visited actually encouraged us to negotiate funding if we had better offers.
Can I ask which school?
A friend told me Wisconsin encouraged her to negotiate. I negotiated with Ohio and they were very nice about it ( and gave me what I wanted)

soo

Post by soo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:24 am

Anyone in last couple years has done this with math program for stipend or fellowship and how did you do it? Seems like no downside? https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/122 ... r-stipend/

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2WS39J ... &utm=&nd=1