GRE Mathematics REA book

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Chapel

GRE Mathematics REA book

Post by Chapel » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:49 pm

To anyone else who has taken the practice tests in this book and the officially released ones:

Are these test questions completely off the reservation or is it just me? I do understand that there can be some questions like those, but they all seem to be hard (in comparison to the practice tests which start easier and get harder towards the end). Let me know what you guys think.

owlpride

Re: GRE Mathematics REA book

Post by owlpride » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:18 am

The REA book is just about the worst book to study from. Their practice exams are basically a review of mathematical theorems - some of them so obscure that the real GRE would not expect you to know them.

On the real GRE, you will apply standard results to problems ranging from routine homework problems to (easy) Putnam-style problems. It tests your mastery of the core undergraduate curriculum in mathematics, not your exposure to graph theory or differential geometry.

Chapel

Re: GRE Mathematics REA book

Post by Chapel » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:13 am

Thanks. That is very good to know. I took about half of one of their practice exams and realized that it was radically different from the officially released ones.