High GRE Low GPA

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
onaia

High GRE Low GPA

Post by onaia » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:07 pm

I have great GRE scores and a nearly full GRE math subject test score. But my undergrad GPA is lower than 3 :cry: . No research experience or other things. Do I still have chance for grad school in pure math? If so, should I take a master program or directly apply for phd?

young556646

Re: High GRE Low GPA

Post by young556646 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:51 am

onaia wrote:I have great GRE scores and a nearly full GRE math subject test score. But my undergrad GPA is lower than 3 :cry: . No research experience or other things. Do I still have chance for grad school in pure math? If so, should I take a master program or directly apply for phd?
If you can write an amazing paper and publish it on Annals before you apply, you have a (high) chance. Otherwise, lower than 3 GPA is critical. You have no chance.

notinverse

Re: High GRE Low GPA

Post by notinverse » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:31 am

Also, contacts! You might have a shot at places where you personally the professors or who know your circumstances because of which you had low gpa.

If you don't have any, then try to make them. Talk to any professor in your uni who could help you out, and see what they suggest. If you're in the US, lower than 3 can be a bit problematic because many schools have a strict cutoff of 3, but try to find schools which don't have such restrictions.

But if you're an international student, your lower than 3 GPA might be seen a bit differently than a US one as it may depend on which school you attended in what country and how advanced were your courses etc.

Also, see if you can talk to your letter writers if they could mention the reason of your low GPA in their letters, provided it something reasonable.