Universities in the USA for a PhD in topology/analysis!

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
yhimanshu484

Universities in the USA for a PhD in topology/analysis!

Post by yhimanshu484 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:31 am

What are some good universities in the USA for a PhD in topology/analysis?
I have researched for them on the internet and was able to sort some top 11 universities.

1) University of California--Berkeley, Berkeley, CA

2) Harvard University, Cambridge, MA

3) Princeton University, Princeton, NJ

4) Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA

5) University of Chicago, Chicago, IL

6) Stanford University, Stanford, CA

7) University of California--Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA

8) University of Texas--Austin, Austin, TX

9)Columbia University, New York, NY

10) Stony Brook University--SUNY, Stony Brook, NY

11) Cornell University, Ithaca, NY

Can someone suggest me some mathematics department which are ranked higher on research for topology and analysis but do not have so good overall university ranking?
For example, SUNY, Stony Brook has one of the best topology department in the US, but the overall ranking of university is not so good.
Thank you!

moonbears

Re: Universities in the USA for a PhD in topology/analysis!

Post by moonbears » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:54 pm

An upcoming school in Analysis/PDEs is UC Irvine, some of their recent hires are young, insanely productive mathematicians.

For analysis/topology I'd really recommend the following three: UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, and USC.

UC Davis has some very good geometric group theorists, and low dimensional topologists. UCSB hardly needs any mention with Michael Freedman (fields medalist) coming back to accept doctoral students. Doctoral students at USC can solicit professors at either CalTech or UCLA to be a "secondary advisor", especially in topology. The advantage of this is that USC is on semester system, and is generally an easier school than the other two.