Unofficial Raw Score Conversion Chart (as of 2019)

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
DMAshura

Unofficial Raw Score Conversion Chart (as of 2019)

Post by DMAshura » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:14 pm

Hello everyone!

I wanted to let you all know that I've developed a very unofficial, approximate conversion chart for converting raw scores to scaled scores and percentages, both for the current test and for the five officially released practice tests.

https://www.mathsub.com/wp-content/uplo ... -chart.pdf

I arrived at these charts by compiling a bunch of official data (both the Interpretive Data charts released by the ETS and people's posted scaled score/percentile pairs on here), comparing the tables at the end of the official practice tests, doing a bunch of linear regression, and making a few educated guesses here and there. The chart attempts to take into account the "difficulty creep" of the test over the years.

Again, this chart is very unofficial and approximate. On the real thing, the difficulty is slightly different every time (depending on what form you have), so the actual conversion will vary. Nobody knows the true conversion formulas except the ETS --- this is just my best guess.

Please let me know if this helps, or if you have any suggestions for how to make it even better! :D

temporaryacct

Re: Unofficial Raw Score Conversion Chart (as of 2019)

Post by temporaryacct » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:18 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by temporaryacct on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi DM,

Thanks for posting this spreadsheet, it's interesting to see some rough projection of scores on the current test.

I have one question: how much of the adjustment between the raw scores in the "modern" column and the "GR1768" was just speculation? Have you taken the exam recently and seen that the raw score for, say a 700, is now lower than it was on GR1768? I ask because I took the test for the first time in April and my raw score to scaled score conversion was exactly the same as it was on GR1768. Of course, I could have had an easier version of the test that day, but would be 4 or 5 questions easier?

Regardless, I hope your table is accurate! I just retook the exam today and think I did a little better than last time (although you always remember a couple of silly mistakes you made...)

DMAshura

Post by DMAshura » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:06 am

bark_muffalo wrote:Hi DM,

Thanks for posting this spreadsheet, it's interesting to see some rough projection of scores on the current test.

I have one question: how much of the adjustment between the raw scores in the "modern" column and the "GR1768" was just speculation? Have you taken the exam recently and seen that the raw score for, say a 700, is now lower than it was on GR1768? I ask because I took the test for the first time in April and my raw score to scaled score conversion was exactly the same as it was on GR1768. Of course, I could have had an easier version of the test that day, but would be 4 or 5 questions easier?

Regardless, I hope your table is accurate! I just retook the exam today and think I did a little better than last time (although you always remember a couple of silly mistakes you made...)
It was definitely a bunch of guesswork, based partially on my own experiences and partially on what various people here have posted about "I think I got this many wrong, and this was my score". Unfortunately, the ETS keeps things pretty locked down. I also tried to err slightly on the harsher side where possible, so that if someone does better than expected it's a good surprise rather than a bad one.

Any other insight anyone else wants to offer would be welcome!

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Why do the percentiles jump from 91 to 80?

wujinya1

Post by wujinya1 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Check the percentile for scale score 820 to 870

DMAshura

Post by DMAshura » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:54 pm

My bad! The second set of 90's should be 80's. I'll go ahead and fix it. Thanks for noticing!