Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
chrisps1992

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by chrisps1992 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:17 am

I saw someone got waitlisted at CMU on grad cafe, so if you're waiting on them you might want to check.

Oscarliu

Post by Oscarliu » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:13 pm

Did anyone hear back from UCSD since last wave of offers on the grad cafe? I emailed them last week and get no response yet. Does this mean a rejection?

finite

Post by finite » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:01 pm

Any news on CUNY? There are no acceptances/rejections either on Grad Cafe or these forums.

lapislazur

Post by lapislazur » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 pm

-
Last edited by lapislazur on Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mani_fold

Post by mani_fold » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:31 pm

Oscarliu wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:13 pm
Did anyone hear back from UCSD since last wave of offers on the grad cafe? I emailed them last week and get no response yet. Does this mean a rejection?
Junaid456 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:41 pm
Applied to UCSD PhD in Math (Stats concentration) and got this response:

Please forgive me for the incorrect information in my previous email. Due to outside factors, our admission process has been somewhat delayed. Currently we hope to have all decisions made and all applicants notified by March 15.

Again, I am sorry if this delay has caused you any inconvenience.
Expecting to rejected either way, though.
As of a few days ago.

spatnakr

Post by spatnakr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:23 pm

I got wailisted at Ohio State in applied track. However, my name is in the priority-3 group and hoping that any offer very less likely.
Anyone else here in the waiting list? or have idea about it?

spatnakr

Post by spatnakr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Anyone here in waitlist at Utah?
or anyone whose waitlist got cleared

spatnakr

Post by spatnakr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:29 pm

kansas_math wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:13 pm
Has anyone here emailed Minnesota/heard anything? I'm assuming they already finished the first round of admits, but it doesn't seem like anyone has been notified of waitlist or rejection yet.
I emailed and got a reply that although the final decisions are pending, the probability of me getting an offer is very low.

spatnakr

Post by spatnakr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:32 pm

chrisps1992 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:38 pm
Am I the only one still waiting on penn state? There are a few decisions on grad cafe, but I’ve heard nothing.
I too sent an email and got no reply. Previously they wrote that all offer shall be sent by 2nd March.

2girls1cup

Post by 2girls1cup » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:31 pm

I got an email last week tuesday from an university I applied to which said more or less the following:

"We will soon make our first round of admission offers. Your name is high on our list, so we'd like to know
whether you're still interested. In case you are not, we'd also like to know as that opens the slot for someone else"

I immediately became really excited, because this mail looks more or less as a confirmation of getting accepted,
but now it's wednesday and I'm loosing hope on this, and this is really worrying me because I really want to get into
this school, and I'm on the waitlist in the other applications. I know it's too early to be this worried, but I don't really
know what to think of this email, and whether I should be almost assured I've been accepted into this school. This
is making me really anxious.

Oscarliu

Post by Oscarliu » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:18 pm

2girls1cup wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:31 pm
I got an email last week tuesday from an university I applied to which said more or less the following:

"We will soon make our first round of admission offers. Your name is high on our list, so we'd like to know
whether you're still interested. In case you are not, we'd also like to know as that opens the slot for someone else"

I immediately became really excited, because this mail looks more or less as a confirmation of getting accepted,
but now it's wednesday and I'm loosing hope on this, and this is really worrying me because I really want to get into
this school, and I'm on the waitlist in the other applications. I know it's too early to be this worried, but I don't really
know what to think of this email, and whether I should be almost assured I've been accepted into this school. This
I really know that feeling. Be confident! The email you got just says that they want you! As for the wait, there will be administrative procedures for a university to send out offers. I mean, the graduate committee will make a decision first and then the department and the grad school will come into the play in order. So it is never surprised to see a (perhaps quite long) wait before the official acceptance even if you got unofficial one. Don't worry, your school is on its way preparing an official letter as well as funding to you. :) If you want some example, my first (unofficial) offer came on Jan. 31, but the official letter came on Feb. 19. And I did not receive funding information until one week later. :wink: I hope this can more or less relieve your anxiety.

Oscarliu

Post by Oscarliu » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:24 pm

mani_fold wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:31 pm
Oscarliu wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:13 pm
Junaid456 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:41 pm
Applied to UCSD PhD in Math (Stats concentration) and got this response:

Please forgive me for the incorrect information in my previous email. Due to outside factors, our admission process has been somewhat delayed. Currently we hope to have all decisions made and all applicants notified by March 15.

Again, I am sorry if this delay has caused you any inconvenience.
Expecting to rejected either way, though.
As of a few days ago.
I received an email from them minutes ago. They said they plan to have the decisions made and applicants noticed by mid-to-late March.

2girls1cup

Post by 2girls1cup » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 pm

Oscarliu wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:18 pm
2girls1cup wrote:

I really know that feeling. Be confident! The email you got just says that they want you! As for the wait, there will be administrative procedures for a university to send out offers. I mean, the graduate committee will make a decision first and then the department and the grad school will come into the play in order. So it is never surprised to see a (perhaps quite long) wait before the official acceptance even if you got unofficial one. Don't worry, your school is on its way preparing an official letter as well as funding to you. :) If you want some example, my first (unofficial) offer came on Jan. 31, but the official letter came on Feb. 19. And I did not receive funding information until one week later. :wink: I hope this can more or less relieve your anxiety.
I'll try to get calmer, this is good information to consider, thank you.

dujiahan

Post by dujiahan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:15 pm

2girls1cup wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 pm
Oscarliu wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:18 pm
2girls1cup wrote:

I'll try to get calmer, this is good information to consider, thank you.
Your username is disgusting.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:41 pm

MathParent wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:04 am
nicole2 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:45 am
Nicole, where did you end up going, or you are still deciding?
Probably umn, still haven't gotten denied by ucla yet. Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up, likely they forgot to send me a rejection email LOL
Last edited by nicole2 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:44 pm

discretephenom wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:05 am
nicole2 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:45 am
discretephenom wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:11 am
How screwed am I if I haven't received any acceptances yet? I've been put on one waitlist and haven't heard back from around 9 other schools. What do? This whole process just gives me mountains and mountains of anxiety. I ran into my letter writer today and he asked me about my results, and he just kinda shut up once I told him. These are very trying times.
Your school list has about 20 schools on the main thread - wow for real?

I do know a friend of mine who applied to 7-8 schools and yet to heard back from any of them (no acceptances/rejections/waitlists). Bad luck maybe?
Lord knows. I mean, all the rejects were in my reach and super reach categories. Haven't heard anything negative otherwise. Got put onto a second waitlist with no details. Just doing my best to embrace the suffering.
I wonder if a lot of schools hand out last minute offers right before April 15th.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:46 pm

I was planning on visiting a school that I really like this March but I'm considering not going due to the Corona Virus. I'm not too worried about myself since I'm young, but I don't want to infect elderly people in my family. Airports are basically hubs for the disease.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:52 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:46 pm
I was planning on visiting a school that I really like this March but I'm considering not going due to the Corona Virus. I'm not too worried about myself since I'm young, but I don't want to infect elderly people in my family. Airports are basically hubs for the disease.
In the dining hall this guy in front of me asked the server if he's going to get the coronavirus by eating orange chicken. LOL

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:55 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:52 pm
EricAndre wrote:
In the dining hall this guy in front of me asked the server if he's going to get the coronavirus by eating orange chicken. LOL
Reminds me of the chicken flu episode from The Boondocks.
https://youtu.be/o2_hgTqdFCk

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:57 pm

There's this guy at my school that applied to Syracuse that got waitlisted LOL

He kept on complaining about me getting into schools while he gotten into nowhere, because he think he deserves better with a higher GRE math and taken upon graduate sequences. Big deal. I'm going to make sure I don't decline this offer until April 15th :D

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:15 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:57 pm

He kept on complaining about me getting into schools while he gotten into nowhere, because he think he deserves better with a higher GRE math and taken upon graduate sequences. Big deal. I'm going to make sure I don't decline this offer until April 15th :D
That is p messed up. You should decline that offer.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:39 pm

nicole2 wrote:

That’s pretty mean-spirited and unnecessarily selfish. How would you feel if he did that to you? Basic empathy goes a long way. There’s enough evil in this world — don’t add to it.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:51 pm

ponchan wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:39 pm
nicole2 wrote:

That’s pretty mean-spirited and unnecessarily selfish. How would you feel if he did that to you? Basic empathy goes a long way. There’s enough evil in this world — don’t add to it.
Oh I'm 200% certain he wouldn't hesitate to do the same to me. I'm certain he secretly hopes that I get into nowhere. Well tables have turned hehehe epic karma :D :D

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:12 pm

ponchan wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:23 am
PhilippMainlander wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:27 pm
Sometimes I get scared guys. I made a 640 on the math subject gre and graduated from a Group II university, and I'm applying to universities in the range of [75,33] on the US News Ranking. I really want to get into a GROUP I university, but I feel like my GRE is subpar compared to the competition. I have done research (discrete mathematics) with a professor for 3 years and we have been making nontrivial progress. My professor is well known in his mathematical subfield, but sometimes I get scared by my math subject GRE score.

Can anyone give me any opinions that aren't. "Lol you scored before 50%, your chances at a GROUP I university are over".
Yes, my opinion is that one shouldn't care about “Group I” or whatever because it is meaningless. No one but some students applying to PhD programs care about these things. Here’s an example: there’s a tenured Professor at Chicago who got his PhD at Tufts. Does, say, Stanford attract stronger students on average than Tufts? Absolutely. And that’s why you see more Stanford PhD holders at top universities than Tufts. But schools like Tufts and others even in the top 100 still have some very strong faculty (who collaborate with people at schools like Stanford) and will occasionally get very strong students who wind up just as successful as they would have been had they gone to a “top” school. Ultimately, you are who you are. If you upload a proof of the Tate conjecture to the arxiv (or even something 1/100 as significant) no one will give a shit where you got your PhD. And on the flip side, there are PhD holders from Princeton who have been forced to go into data science boot camps after graduation due to mediocre research. There is no “golden ticket”. Let intellectual curiosity and love for mathematics guide you, because prestige chasing will have diminishing returns.
https://asegrad.tufts.edu/news/no-longe ... conjecture

Is this the guy?

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:20 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:15 pm
nicole2 wrote:

That is p messed up. You should decline that offer.
Technically I never received the official offer only an unofficial email from the director so I cannot decline it yet :wink:

fluffball

Post by fluffball » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:22 pm

nicole2 wrote:

Did it dawn on you that maybe your waitlist spot would go to someone else and you're just being shitty to this other person? smh

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:26 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:51 pm
ponchan wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

Oh I'm 200% certain he wouldn't hesitate to do the same to me. I'm certain he secretly hopes that I get into nowhere. Well tables have turned hehehe epic karma :D :D
First, he’s not the only person on the waitlist. Second, don’t you think there’s a good chance he reads this forum? It would be pretty easy for him to deduce your identity.

Oscarliu

Post by Oscarliu » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:55 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Just a reminder, being young does not mean that you will be ok all the time. It can be found that this disease is really highly infectious if you look at some news about the outbreaks in China, Korea or Italy. So please be careful!

wonnetz

Post by wonnetz » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:57 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:51 pm
ponchan wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

That's going to be a big yikes from me y'all.

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:34 am

nicole2 wrote:

Have you thought that maybe he just feels insecure/is panicking about his future right now? I'm not saying he's handling it well, but that's no excuse to intentionally try and prevent him from getting in graduate school. Also, as other posters have mentioned, hanging on to this offer is mean thing to do to everyone at the waitlist at Syracuse. You have several offers at very good schools, so I assume you have no plans to accept it. Even though it's still unofficial, you should decline it ASAP. There's no need to wait for the official offer to roll in.

You're going to meet plenty of people in your professional life who you think are jerks. You will still need to get along with them. Being spiteful is going to get you nowhere. It's also just a morally shitty thing to do. I believe you're better than that.

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:03 am

nicole2 wrote:

Luckily for all of us in this forum, there aren't so many childish people as you in a mathematical community.

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:05 am

Has anyone heard from Boston Uni?

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:00 am

mishania1996 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:03 am
nicole2 wrote:

Luckily for all of us in this forum, there aren't so many childish people as you in a mathematical community.
I second that. Nicole, sorry, but your behavior is very immature. I expected better of you.

gleuschk

Post by gleuschk » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:07 am

Hi, I'm the graduate director at Syracuse. All of our official offers are out. There is no one who has gotten an unofficial email from me who does not yet have an official offer. We have not made any fellowship offers at this time.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:27 pm

gleuschk wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:07 am
Hi, I'm the graduate director at Syracuse. All of our official offers are out. There is no one who has gotten an unofficial email from me who does not yet have an official offer. We have not made any fellowship offers at this time.
lol

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:28 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:27 pm
gleuschk wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:07 am
lol
Anddddd the show’s over folks

jungleshrimp

Post by jungleshrimp » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Does this confirm Nicole is not actually a real person?

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:27 pm

I called it from day one.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:39 pm

jungleshrimp wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:25 pm
If gleuschk is really who he says he is, then yes.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:44 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:39 pm
jungleshrimp wrote:
That is probably also “Nicole”

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:58 pm

jungleshrimp wrote:
Yes, but it also became pretty clear after the post about her classmate. No real person would write that as it would give away their identity pretty easily.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:07 pm

ponchan wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:58 pm
jungleshrimp wrote:
Yes, but it also became pretty clear after the post about her classmate. No real person would write that as it would give away their identity pretty easily.
I mean what kind of real person would think it is funny for making a classmate suffer? I couldn't do that to anyone in good conscious even if they were quite mean to me.
Last edited by EricAndre on Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lapislazur

Post by lapislazur » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:08 pm

EricAndre wrote:
jungleshrimp wrote:
Credibility of gleuschk aside, he’s right that the official offers have been sent out for a while.

Choice_Axiom

Post by Choice_Axiom » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:16 pm

nicole2 wrote:

Just ask him out.

dujiahan

Post by dujiahan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:13 pm

chrisps1992 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:44 pm
EricAndre wrote:
jungleshrimp wrote:
That is probably also “Nicole”
Nicole is a big troll. I've repeatedly said so.

jungleshrimp

Post by jungleshrimp » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:22 pm

Hats off to nicole2. One of the most successful trolls I've witnessed.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:26 pm

Well, if Nicole2 somehow IS real, she is in hot water now XD!

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:44 pm

While you are here Dr. Graham J. Leuschke.

I was wondering if you could give us your opinion on how much the US News ranking of university matters.
I was also wondering what are some criteria we should use to evaluate graduate schools.

Thanks!

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:49 pm

chrisps1992 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:26 pm
Well, if Nicole2 somehow IS real, she is in hot water now XD!
Right its definitely misterB that is trolling me again. :(