Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
misterB
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:24 am

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by misterB » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:26 am

What's the deadline for accepting an offer according to April 15 resolution? i am guessing midnight april 15th (early april 16th) of whatever timezone the university is located in.

ponchan
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by ponchan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:30 am

misterB wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:26 am
What's the deadline for accepting an offer according to April 15 resolution? i am guessing midnight april 15th (early april 16th) of whatever timezone the university is located in.
It seems like programs interpret this however they wish. So I’d reach out to the particular program to make sure it’s 11:59pm on the 15th and not 14th (or whatever)

bark_muffalo
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by bark_muffalo » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:50 am

One of my offers mentioned a deadline at 5:00PM EST. If you plan on accepting something on the 15th, double check the exact time of the deadline!

misterB
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:24 am

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by misterB » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:54 am

ponchan wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:30 am
misterB wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:26 am
What's the deadline for accepting an offer according to April 15 resolution? i am guessing midnight april 15th (early april 16th) of whatever timezone the university is located in.
It seems like programs interpret this however they wish. So I’d reach out to the particular program to make sure it’s 11:59pm on the 15th and not 14th (or whatever)
Hey thank you so much for your reply. I reached out to SUNY Buffalo. They told me midnight tonight, that is , april 14th 11.59pm is the deadline. Would have been in troubled waters if not for your response actually.
Last edited by misterB on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

misterB
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:24 am

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by misterB » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:59 am

bark_muffalo wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:50 am
One of my offers mentioned a deadline at 5:00PM EST. If you plan on accepting something on the 15th, double check the exact time of the deadline!
Thank you! Wish everyone reads this.

ADlibertyRP
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by ADlibertyRP » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:13 pm

The council of graduate school website mentions the time should be 11:59pm on the 15th. Doesn’t mention timezone though. Not sure how a school could say they are following that if they change the actual time

Devilbob
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:27 am

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by Devilbob » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:02 pm

Ayy, finally heard back from UCSB, my last outstanding result. Was rejected, which I'm guessing was either yield protection or poor program fit, given my other admissions. Either way, I'd already accepted Austin's offer and declined at my other schools (so no need to keep sending me PMs about it). Best of luck to you folks!

ADlibertyRP
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by ADlibertyRP » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:24 pm

Does anyone know about what timeline Colorado-Boulder gave? The letter of admission says "no obligation prior to APR 15th." Does that mean I can respond any time on the day of the 15th?

bark_muffalo
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by bark_muffalo » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:13 pm

ADlibertyRP wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:24 pm
Does anyone know about what timeline Colorado-Boulder gave? The letter of admission says "no obligation prior to APR 15th." Does that mean I can respond any time on the day of the 15th?
This is the program I was talking about in my post above. Last Friday, I received an email from the admissions coordinator asking if I was still interested in the program. In her email, she wrote "We still have a few students whom have not accepted our office of admittance to the Mathematics Program and they have until April 15th at 5:00 p.m." Yesterday I got an offer from them and it expires next Wednesday at 5 p.m.

misterB
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:24 am

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by misterB » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:27 pm

bark_muffalo wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:13 pm
ADlibertyRP wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:24 pm
Does anyone know about what timeline Colorado-Boulder gave? The letter of admission says "no obligation prior to APR 15th." Does that mean I can respond any time on the day of the 15th?
This is the program I was talking about in my post above. Last Friday, I received an email from the admissions coordinator asking if I was still interested in the program. In her email, she wrote "We still have a few students whom have not accepted our office of admittance to the Mathematics Program and they have until April 15th at 5:00 p.m." Yesterday I got an offer from them and it expires next Wednesday at 5 p.m.
Buffalo later clarified that April 15th 11.59pm is the correct deadline.

oldtableaux
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:16 am

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by oldtableaux » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:53 am

oldtableaux wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:02 pm
... If you received offers from the following places - UC Davis, U Utah, USC or UMass Amherst - and do not plan to attend, kindly please decline those offers as soon as possible.
Sadly, I couldn't make it into UC Davis, U Utah and USC. The grad coordinator at U Mass told me something to the effect that there is still a possibility of them making offers after the April 15 deadline, if spots become vacant. I request any one who has an offer from U Mass and doesn't plan to attend (or even has applied, hasn't heard back and doesn't plan to attend) to let them know about it, so that they can make more offers.

chrisps1992
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by chrisps1992 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:20 pm

Well, it's been a wild ride. Hope everyone got in to good places!

Martingale
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:06 am

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by Martingale » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:22 pm

deleted
Last edited by Martingale on Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

EricAndre
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:40 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by EricAndre » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:25 pm

To a future reader of this thread. Don't give up hope untill April 15th! I was accepted to a safety at arround April 1st but then received an offer from one of my top choices on april 12th.

Good luck, all!

yaskhn3
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:59 pm

What's wrong with Maryland? Is anyone still waiting for their rejection?

lapislazur
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by lapislazur » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:11 pm

yaskhn3 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:59 pm
What's wrong with Maryland? Is anyone still waiting for their rejection?
Maryland's rejection letter should have been posted on the application portal yesterday.

yaskhn3
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:00 am

lapislazur wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:11 pm
yaskhn3 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:59 pm
What's wrong with Maryland? Is anyone still waiting for their rejection?
Maryland's rejection letter should have been posted on the application portal yesterday.
Did you get one? I see nothing on the portal.

lapislazur
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by lapislazur » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:50 am

yaskhn3 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:00 am
lapislazur wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:11 pm
yaskhn3 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:59 pm
What's wrong with Maryland? Is anyone still waiting for their rejection?
Maryland's rejection letter should have been posted on the application portal yesterday.
Did you get one? I see nothing on the portal.
I got mine yesterday when I checked, maybe you are on their waitlist.

yaskhn3
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:59 am

lapislazur wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:50 am
yaskhn3 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:00 am
lapislazur wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:11 pm

Maryland's rejection letter should have been posted on the application portal yesterday.
Did you get one? I see nothing on the portal.
I got mine yesterday when I checked, maybe you are on their waitlist.
What does your status show? Mine still says under departmental/program review and shows status as Application submitted.

kinoglaz
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by kinoglaz » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:24 am

Has anyone anywhere heard anything at all from u of florida or northeastern?

yaskhn3
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:32 am

Anyone heard back from Michigan for their MS program?

EG5
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:38 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by EG5 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:35 am

Does anyone know what happened with Cuny? I saw no acceptances on this site or on Gradcafe. They never responded to any of my inquiries forcing me to accept at another school.

misterB
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:24 am

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by misterB » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:01 am

EG5 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:35 am
Does anyone know what happened with Cuny? I saw no acceptances on this site or on Gradcafe. They never responded to any of my inquiries forcing me to accept at another school.
Probably lack of funding

Integreat
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:29 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by Integreat » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:30 am

misterB wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:01 am
EG5 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:35 am
Does anyone know what happened with Cuny? I saw no acceptances on this site or on Gradcafe. They never responded to any of my inquiries forcing me to accept at another school.
Probably lack of funding
I know one person at my institution who got in, and is going.

goobie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by goobie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:08 pm

EG5 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:35 am
Does anyone know what happened with Cuny? I saw no acceptances on this site or on Gradcafe. They never responded to any of my inquiries forcing me to accept at another school.
Same here. Emailed them twice. Never got a reply, so I had to pick a different school. Maybe understandable though. Shit has really hit the fan in NYC.

EG5
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:38 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by EG5 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:22 pm

goobie wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:08 pm
EG5 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:35 am
Does anyone know what happened with Cuny? I saw no acceptances on this site or on Gradcafe. They never responded to any of my inquiries forcing me to accept at another school.
Same here. Emailed them twice. Never got a reply, so I had to pick a different school. Maybe understandable though. Shit has really hit the fan in NYC.
Yeah that could be. They did finally get back to me this morning with a rejection so they could have just been overwhelmed and inundated with inquiries like mine.

yaskhn3
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:36 pm

I called the Grad coordinator of Maryland and she said there is no waitlist for the Pure Maths Ph.D. program and those who haven't gotten a rejection yet will receive one soon.

Martingale
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:06 am

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by Martingale » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:18 am

One school’s DGs keep on stalling. At one time he told me I’m on the top of the wl and had very good chance of getting an offer. Then he told me he is waiting for some answers. I’m very torn. This school is clearly better than all my accepted school. Should I give them more time? The other school that I signed and intended to go haven’t received my official transcript yet, and they told me they can’t “guarantee” the offer unless my transcript arrived.

asterac
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:48 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by asterac » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:16 am

EricAndre wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:25 pm
To a future reader of this thread. Don't give up hope untill April 15th! I was accepted to a safety at arround April 1st but then received an offer from one of my top choices on april 12th.

Good luck, all!
Oh, damn, congrats! Was it UIC??

MMDE
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by MMDE » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:17 pm

Anyone still yet to hear from Columbia APAM?

vzlamath
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:26 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by vzlamath » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:48 pm

MMDE wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:17 pm
Anyone still yet to hear from Columbia APAM?
Got this on 4/14 from the department coordinator:
"Unfortunately, I do not have an update on the status of your application at this time. We will be extending offers up until Wednesday, April 15. After this date, we will no longer be admitting students into our doctoral programs. I hope this information is helpful."

Sorry bro

MMDE
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by MMDE » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:32 pm

vzlamath wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:48 pm
MMDE wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:17 pm
Anyone still yet to hear from Columbia APAM?
Got this on 4/14 from the department coordinator:
"Unfortunately, I do not have an update on the status of your application at this time. We will be extending offers up until Wednesday, April 15. After this date, we will no longer be admitting students into our doctoral programs. I hope this information is helpful."

Sorry bro
Ah man this one stings but it's not too surprising given the date. Thank you for the help.



Post Reply