Profile Re-evaluation for Re-applicant

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dasgut

Profile Re-evaluation for Re-applicant

Post by dasgut » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:54 am

Hey everybody. I applied for applied math phd programs last year, but I've changed my interests. I'm now leaning more toward geometry/topology. Can you give me a new profile eval? It'd be much appreciated.

Undergrad Institution: Top 20 (US News)
Major(s): Finance & Accounting
Minor(s): Minor
Undergrad GPA: 3.51 (3.87 Last 2 Years)
Position in Class: Mid
Type of Student: Domestic

Grad Institution: Top 70 Math (US News)
Concentration: MS in Pure Math
GPA: 3.97

GRE Scores:
Q: 770
V: 560
W: 5.0
M: 1st Attempt 650 (51%), 2nd Attempt 690 (60%), Will make third attempt

Program Applying: Pure Math

Research Experience: 2 Summers With Office of Naval Research
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Received highest score on PhD analysis qual in the past few years.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for management accounting sophomore year (prolly not applicable, but it is teaching exp)
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: 7 grad classes with all A's (Measure Theory, Functional Analysis, Topology, Algebraic Topology, Differential Geometry, Applied Math I&II, Research Course in Minimal Surfaces), only 1 A- in MS, haven't had a B anything since junior year
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: GPA over the past four years = 3.92

Applying to Where:
SUNY Stonybrook
UMaryland
UCSD
Duke
Texas
UC Davis
Michigan
Northwestern
UIUC
Penn State

MattW

Re: Profile Re-evaluation for Re-applicant

Post by MattW » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:42 pm

The biggest concern on your profile seems to be your low subject score. You may not make some preliminary cutoffs due to this. However, some schools don't care about gre results, so you may be okay with those schools. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about your undergrad GPA, as long as you did fine in your upper level math courses. Right now I'd be most concerned about getting strong letters of recommendation, I think that this will make or break your profile.

Have you considered applying to any mid ranked schools (e.g. Michigan State)? You seem to be aiming quite high.

Best of luck,
Matt

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:02 pm

With how difficult the job market is I don't see much point in going below UC Davis, so that's the lowest school I'm applying to. I don't mean that in a **** I'm too good for any place else sort of way. It's just that unless I can guarantee myself a decent academic job I don't want to do it. Any clue which schools I won't make the cutoff for? Duke told me they look at anything over 50%.

enork

Post by enork » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:21 pm

I'm not really sure that makes sense. You're going to be done with grad school in 4-6 years when the economy may be in very different shape. The risk of no safeties is that you get in nowhere, and then you have to find a job right now when it's hardest.

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:30 pm

Yeah I'm already in the job search right now since I got my butt kicked last year during admissions season :( I'm transitioning from one job to another as we speak. Upside I'll have a job so if I don't get admitted I'll have income. My professors have made it pretty clear to me that regardless of the economy the academic sector is always a vicious dogfight and it is best not to handicap yourself out the door.

enork

Post by enork » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:15 pm

I think I just misunderstood your previous post about the job market. I thought you meant you were trying to maximize your chances of getting a decent job, when I guess you were actually saying that you don't want to even get involved with school/academia unless you can know from the outset you have a good shot at a good academic position.

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Enork, that is a very fair statement.