Is my list of schools reasonable?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
peoplesjw

Is my list of schools reasonable?

Post by peoplesjw » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:18 pm

I was wondering if this list looks reasonable considering my profile, which I will put below. By the way, currently interested in Noncommutative geometry and Operator Algebras, mathematical physics.

As is for many many many people, my main concern is my GRE subject score.

Not sure if I’m reaching too far or not far enough. Also if anyone knows any schools w great research in operator algebras that I don’t have below please let me know!

Undergrad Institution: Public, ranked ~100 Public
Major(s): Mathematics and Physics
Minor(s):
GPA: 3.97 (4.00 math)
Type of Student: DWM
GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 167 (90%)
V: 160 (86%)
W: 4.5 (81%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 650>
Took again in October, fairly sure I did much better though I did not study leading up to it so who knows.

TOEFL Score: NA

Program Applying: Pure Math or Math PhD

Research Experience: About a year with a professor at my school, in noncommutative geometry. One publication with him. Two funded academic year and a summer of Biophysics research at my university (tried to spin it for math, considering it actually was pretty math and physics intensive). A math talk at my university as well as 3 poster sessions (Biophysics posters). But no REUs or special JMM talks or anything.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Best presentation award at a conference, most outstanding upperclassmen math student award, standard deans list stuff and scholarship.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Physics Tutor and TA, also help kids with homework at a before and after school program.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: one famous recommender, all letters should be fairly strong, currently in 3 grad courses (analysis, topology, complex analysis) and will surely get As in all of them.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Decent amount of upper division math classes. Taking two reading courses and more grad courses next semester.

Applying to Where:

Home university
Kansas st
NC State
U Oklahoma
U Iowa
UC Santa Cruz
U Nebraska

U Oregon
Texas A&M
IU
Vanderbilt
Purdue
Penn State

U Maryland
UIUC
STONY BROOK

Cornell

Please show me no mercy. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by peoplesjw on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

yoltin

Re: Is my list of schools reasonable?

Post by yoltin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:28 pm

650 is not horrible and as you said you could get a better score.

I don't think you should apply to this many safety schools, and I think you should apply to more reach/match schools.