Profile Evaluation

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
discretephenom

Profile Evaluation

Post by discretephenom » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:17 am

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 math
Major(s):Pure Math
Minor(s):
GPA:3.78/4.0 math (3.86 in honors and graduate)
Type of Student:DWM

GRE Revised General Test: (no prep)
Q: 166 (89%)
V: 164 (94%)
W: 5.5 (98%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: (I have a sad personal relationship excuse but no one should care lol) :cry:
M: 660 (51%)

Program Applying: (Pure Math in geometry and topology)

Research Experience: no publications, but original research in mathematical economics (proved partial result on open conjecture and found counterexample to another) and decent REU in low dimensional geometry. Doing independent study in differential geometry and working on some problems there. Presented at two conferences.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: full ride scholarship, departmental scholarship, graduating with honors and thesis
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: peer mentor, tutor
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: 7 graduate courses (complex variables, topology I and II, diff geo I, probability theory, game theory, topology advanced topics in K theory, surgery theory) in last two years plus independent studies in geometry/geometric group theory and honors analysis and algebra sequence. (Queer, low income, first-generation student? No clue if anyone cares about that.)

Applying to Where: My personal preference as currently ranked, if I were somehow to have free choice and all else being equal.
School - Super Reach:
UChicago
Harvard
Yale
UMich
Columbia
School - Reach:
Brown
UIUC
Stony Brook
Cornell
School - Match(Maybe still reach?):
GA Tech
OSU
Rice
UCD
IUB
School - Safety(Maybe not?):
USC
CUNY
UCSB
UIC
Boston College

Advisor told me I should expect to get into a school like UCD, Rice types, but top 20 would be hard and top 10 basically impossible. That was said without knowing how poorly I did on the math GRE though. Was encouraged to apply to top 10 anyway by a grad student I worked with. I'm not even entertaining the possibility of getting into any of the super reaches frankly. Is this a reasonable list of schools? Am i a competitive applicant? And for what schools?

ponchan

Re: Profile Evaluation

Post by ponchan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:12 am

I think it's possible you get into a couple schools lower down on your list. Although Boston College isn't a safety. Despite opting out from US News, they are trying to be an elite (T15) program.

I wouldn't be surprised either way if you got accepted to, or rejected from, UIC, CUNY, or UCSB. That said, you don't have one legitimate "safety" schools on your list, so you you run the risk of getting in nowhere. If I were you, I'd add at least one safer option. Maybe UConn?

discretephenom

Post by discretephenom » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:31 pm

That's terrifying if true. I appreciate it though. I'm going to talk with the grad student I worked with on my REU soon and I'll ask how concerned I should be and if I should look into other schools. Thank you.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:37 pm

You should look at the data on this site, which goes back roughly a decade. Where do people with your mGRE/gpa/background/interests get accepted to on average?