Profile evaluation

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
panda

Profile evaluation

Post by panda » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:50 pm

Hi,

I am an Indian male.

I have done my undergrad from India One autonomous(famous in India) college under Calcutta University, CPI: 7.19
Major Math and Minor: Statistics and Economics

Grad: private Roman Catholic research university in the USA
GPA: 4/4

I have one research paper in non-commutative algebra and presented a talk in some seminars in India and Europe. Attended a lot of schools and seminars in India some in the states. But no REU and all.

I have got several math scholarships in India. Here member of pi-mu-epsilon. I got a GSA award.

GRE(taken one year before coming to the USA): V: 144(22%)
Q: 162(79%)
W: 3(15%)
GRE subject test: 720(63%)(Oct 2019)

I have applied to:

Purdue

Michigan

Brown

UPitt

Wisconsin

UIUC(rejected)

Northwestern University

U Chicago

Penn State

University of Georgia

Ohio State(not on the first list)

Do you think I should apply to more lower schools? I am very nervous after getting a rejection from UIUC within 2 weeks of January. After searching a lot I am getting a very small example of a male student on 720 sub-GRE scores admitted on the first list. What are the chances on the 2nd list or later? Again many of the UPitt answers and Uni of Georgia result is blank, so I am worried.

dujiahan

Re: Profile evaluation

Post by dujiahan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:28 am

panda wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:50 pm
Hi,

I am an Indian male.

I have done my undergrad from India One autonomous(famous in India) college under Calcutta University, CPI: 7.19

I have one research paper in non-commutative algebra and presented a talk in some seminars in India and Europe. Attended a lot of schools and seminars in India some in the states. But no REU and all.

I have got several math scholarships in India. Here member of pi-mu-epsilon. I got a GSA award.

I have applied to:

Purdue

Michigan

Brown

UPitt

Wisconsin

UIUC(rejected)

Northwestern University

U Chicago

Penn State

University of Georgia

Do you think I should apply to more lower schools? I am very nervous after getting a rejection from UIUC within 2 weeks of January. After searching a lot I am getting a very small example of a male student on 720 sub-GRE scores admitted on the first list. What are the chances on the 2nd list or later? Again many of the UPitt answers and Uni of Georgia result is blank, so I am worried.
Is your undergrad college also famous worldwide? Your grad institution doesn't sound like a good school.

Also as an international male, your GRE scores are really low, hence I would assume that UChicago, Northwestern, Brown, Michigan will almost certainly reject you. Even Purdue, Wisconsin are not within your reach. Penn state, University of Georgia are probably high reach schools. Again, as an international male, you will be facing such extremely fierce competition at top 30 schools that you won't have a chance.

And why are you talking about UIUC like you should be accepted? You should be nervous months before UIUC rejected you.

nakayama

Post by nakayama » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:35 am

The response above is quite brutal and unnecessary. Sorry about that. To be honest we can try to make guesses but ours is just as good as yours.

panda

Post by panda » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:40 am

See below
Last edited by panda on Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

panda

Post by panda » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:23 am

dujiahan wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:28 am
panda wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:50 pm
Hi,

I am an Indian male.

I have applied to:

Purdue

Michigan

Brown

UPitt

Wisconsin

UIUC(rejected)

Northwestern University

U Chicago

Penn State

University of Georgia

Is your undergrad college also famous worldwide? Your grad institution doesn't sound like a good school.

Also as an international male, your GRE scores are really low, hence I would assume that UChicago, Northwestern, Brown, Michigan will almost certainly reject you. Even Purdue, Wisconsin are not within your reach. Penn state, University of Georgia are probably high reach schools. Again, as an international male, you will be facing such extremely fierce competition at top 30 schools that you won't have a chance.

And why are you talking about UIUC like you should be accepted? You should be nervous months before UIUC rejected you.
@dujiahan Because before coming to the USA, I applied at UIUC, OSU and PSU and was in the waiting list and then got rejected in April. So I was surprised this time. Yes, you are right being a male my mGRE is not good. This time I was in the sole responsibility of classes in two-semester and worked as a help session tutor by far in my university. So I am thinking to apply to some lower school now. My paper and MA thesis is strong and I hope to get very strong recommendation letters but you are right actually I came to know about mahGRE blog very late.

dujiahan

Post by dujiahan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:26 am

nakayama wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:35 am
The response above is quite brutal and unnecessary. Sorry about that. To be honest we can try to make guesses but ours is just as good as yours.
I'm only being brutal because truthfully, the admission process itself is brutal for international males.

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:30 am

panda wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:23 am

@dujiahan Because before coming to the USA, I applied at UIUC, OSU and PSU and was in the waiting list and then got rejected in April. So I was surprised this time. Yes, you are right being a male my mGRE is not good. This time I was in the sole responsibility of classes in two-semester and worked as a help session tutor by far in my university. So I am thinking to apply to some lower school now. My paper and MA thesis is strong and I hope to get very strong recommendation letters but you are right actually I came to know about mahGRE blog very late.
Just to understand you better - did you apply for Masters when you got on the wait list at UIUC, OSU and PSU, the first time around? And now - are you applying to PhD, being in Masters program? I think this info will give the guys here a better chance of giving you a sound advice.

pugaixia

Post by pugaixia » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:38 pm

dujiahan wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:26 am
I'm only being brutal because truthfully, the admission process itself is brutal for international males.
I think the reason you mentioned is exactly why we are all trying to be nice to each other here.

panda

Post by panda » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:44 pm

MathParent wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:30 am
panda wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:23 am

Just to understand you better - did you apply for Masters when you got on the wait list at UIUC, OSU and PSU, the first time around? And now - are you applying to PhD, being in Masters program? I think this info will give the guys here a better chance of giving you a sound advice.
Yes, that is why I am shocked. The first time, my subject GRE score was low 680 and I didn't have my master's thesis and the recommenders were all from India. This time they are all American and well known in their field.

Let me ask some precise question: how low do the Purdue, OSU, PSU and all others go in terms of subject GRE for male student?

panda

Post by panda » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:47 pm

dujiahan wrote:
nakayama wrote:
Hi, it is ok. I am not hurt by your word. I will apply to some lower school then. Can you suggest some names because for some of them the deadline is 15th of Jan?

Let me ask some more precise question: how low do the Purdue, OSU, PSU and all others go in terms of subject GRE for male student? and What are the ending scores of Pittsburgh and the other schools that you think, are in my reach?

dujiahan

Post by dujiahan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:43 pm

panda wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:47 pm
dujiahan wrote:
nakayama wrote:
Hi, it is ok. I am not hurt by your word. I will apply to some lower school then. Can you suggest some names because for some of them the deadline is 15th of Jan?

Let me ask some more precise question: how low do the Purdue, OSU, PSU and all others go in terms of subject GRE for male student? and What are the ending scores of Pittsburgh and the other schools that you think, are in my reach?
Many schools ranked 30-50 are good. As safeties, maybe Nebraska-Lincoln? Its deadline is Jan.23th. Pittsburgh is also reasonable.

panda

Post by panda » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:39 pm

dujiahan wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:43 pm
panda wrote:
dujiahan wrote:

Many schools ranked 30-50 are good. As safeties, maybe Nebraska-Lincoln? Its deadline is Jan.23th. Pittsburgh is also reasonable.
Thanks, I will apply to Lousiana State and Nebraska Lincoln. Pittsburgh and Georgia are at 55 in US ranking but in the admission results, I saw that most of the students didn't fill the decision from them. Either these unis don't reply or they send the offer at the last moment so that the applicants don't care to edit it.

panda

Post by panda » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:09 pm

panda wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:39 pm
dujiahan wrote:
panda wrote:

Thanks, I will apply to Lousiana State and Nebraska Lincoln. Pittsburgh and Georgia are at 55 in US ranking but in the admission results, I saw that most of the students didn't fill the decision from them. Either these unis don't reply or they send the offer at the last moment so that the applicants don't care to edit it.
Give me some other names with the bigger department as well whose deadline is late. Nebraska might need TOEFL and my score is expired. In all the other universities I have got it waived as I am doing my grad from here.

AugmentedSeventh

Post by AugmentedSeventh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:17 pm

panda wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:09 pm
panda wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:39 pm
dujiahan wrote:

Give me some other names with the bigger department as well whose deadline is late. Nebraska might need TOEFL and my score is expired. In all the other universities I have got it waived as I am doing my grad from here.
The deadline of University of Oregon is Jan. 15.

wujinya1

Post by wujinya1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:52 pm

panda wrote:
dujiahan wrote:
nakayama wrote:

For one of Purdue, OSU, PSU, (I am studying in one of these), I can tell you that the average is around 85% (for international students). I have also seen a couple of scores around 75%.