UIC "prestige"

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
karlweierstrass

UIC "prestige"

Post by karlweierstrass » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:06 pm

Hello!

I got into UIC today which was my safety school for MS in Pure Maths. I have no other acceptance and applications to wait for, so guess I will be going there now.

However, I did not do any research on what kind of research UIC is into. Although, it looks like they do great geometry, does UIC have any big names in fields like Number Theory, or Analysis?

Judging from my application experience of this year, institute prestige and known letter writers are the most significant part of one's application. How does UIC fit into this perspective, given that my current letter writers and undergrad institute are not at all famous?

Thank you!

chrisps1992

Re: UIC "prestige"

Post by chrisps1992 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:10 pm

UIC is a very good school. If you do well in their master’s and produce some good work, you have every chance to get in at the top places.

ThrowawayName

Post by ThrowawayName » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:13 pm

karlweierstrass wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:06 pm
Hello!

I got into UIC today which was my safety school for MS in Pure Maths. I have no other acceptance and applications to wait for, so guess I will be going there now.

However, I did not do any research on what kind of research UIC is into. Although, it looks like they do great geometry, does UIC have any big names in fields like Number Theory, or Analysis?

Judging from my application experience of this year, institute prestige and known letter writers are the most significant part of one's application. How does UIC fit into this perspective, given that my current letter writers and undergrad institute are not at all famous?

Thank you!
Some pretty good people in probability and analysis are there from the last time I checked things.

Flyingbe

Post by Flyingbe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:00 am

Same question. Could any one give some more detailed description of UIC math program, especially in analysis/pde?

ThrowawayName

Post by ThrowawayName » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 am

Flyingbe wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:00 am
Same question. Could any one give some more detailed description of UIC math program, especially in analysis/pde?
Most specific I can get is that a bunch of their professors in Analysis/PDE are publishing recently in SJR ranked Q1 journals such as Journal of Functional Analysis, Communications in PDE, etc. Not in the department, but it's the best ranked place I've gotten into (according to the AMS group system and US news), so take my words with a grain of salt.

Flyingbe

Post by Flyingbe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:19 am

ThrowawayName wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 am
Flyingbe wrote:
Most specific I can get is that a bunch of their professors in Analysis/PDE are publishing recently in SJR ranked Q1 journals such as Journal of Functional Analysis, Communications in PDE, etc. Not in the department, but it's the best ranked place I've gotten into (according to the AMS group system and US news), so take my words with a grain of salt.
thanks for your information. I just got into the pure math phd program in UIC. I've a two body problem and my girlfriend got into uchicago and ucsd in cs. I got into both ucsd and uic. However I barely know anything about uic, hence the question. UCSD is better than uic in math, but my girlfriend has an insane fellowship uchicago. Not sure where to go.

6ix9ine

Post by 6ix9ine » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:37 am

Flyingbe wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:19 am
ThrowawayName wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 am
Flyingbe wrote:
thanks for your information. I just got into the pure math phd program in UIC. I've a two body problem and my girlfriend got into uchicago and ucsd in cs. I got into both ucsd and uic. However I barely know anything about uic, hence the question. UCSD is better than uic in math, but my girlfriend has an insane fellowship uchicago. Not sure where to go.
UIC is an Algebraic Geometry powerhouse. I believe their logic department also grew in size so now they're insane for logic as well. The other departments may not be as well known but they each have very well known people. Ramin and Alina are both stars in number theory while Kevin Whyte has an insane amount of papers in the Annuls of Mathematics. Let's also not forget the king of the 12th floor, Jerry Bona.