NUS Grad program

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
yaskhn3

NUS Grad program

Post by yaskhn3 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:04 am

I am opening this new thread since the National University of Singapore (NUS) is relatively unpopular here. I applied to their M.Sc. by coursework program which had its deadline on 15th March.

- Did anyone apply or know someone who applied to its graduate program in the last couple of years/this year? There's no record either here or on Gradcafe.
- How competitive are its Ph.D. and M.Sc. program?
-What are the chances of funding?
-More importantly, when do they give out decisions?

Cheers!

tbbxl20

Re: NUS Grad program

Post by tbbxl20 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:24 pm

NUS is probably the best university in Asia, no doubt about this.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that math people in Asian Universities are generally separated from those from the US and Europe, so NUS may narrow your choice in the future.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:25 pm

tbbxl20 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:24 pm

One thing you need to keep in mind is that math people in Asian Universities are generally separated from those from the US and Europe, so NUS may narrow your choice in the future.
Interesting where can I learn more about this?

tbbxl20

Post by tbbxl20 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:39 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:25 pm
tbbxl20 wrote:

Interesting where can I learn more about this?
Maybe you can talk to professors or graduate students who obtained BS from Asian schools :? If you have no experience here this may be the best way to do it.

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 am

tbbxl20 wrote:

Yeah, I know. But someone planning to do a MS from NUS and then PhD from the US shouldn't have a problem, right?

It's not like NUS faculties are not well known. So LOR(s) from them should be good enough. NUS curriculum is also quite good, so there shouldn't be a question of rigour. I don't see how NUS will limit my option. Can you please clarify? Thanks!

tbbxl20

Post by tbbxl20 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:08 pm

yaskhn3 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 am
tbbxl20 wrote:

Yeah, I know. But someone planning to do a MS from NUS and then PhD from the US shouldn't have a problem, right?

It's not like NUS faculties are not well known. So LOR(s) from them should be good enough. NUS curriculum is also quite good, so there shouldn't be a question of rigour. I don't see how NUS will limit my option. Can you please clarify? Thanks!
Some of the faculty members from NUS are indeed great and may have lots of connections with US graduate schools. However, if you cannot do something really great with one of them, I would say you may not be admitted to schools with higher tiers. Connection is IMPORTANT.

If you just want to obtain a PhD in the US but going to NUS as a buffer, keep in mind that you need recommenders that is WELL-KNOWN to US professors, such as someone who obtained PhD under a famous professor or a previously famous one who wants to retire at Singapore.If you are open to the region for your PhD career you may do your MS there, however, NUS certainly is the greatest math school in Asia.