2021 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
confused.graduate

2021 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Post by confused.graduate » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:31 am

Allow me to start the party! This is certainly an unusual year, stay safe everyone. :D

For questions, comments, and discussions about results, please use the Sweat Thread (that needs to be created).

To check the latest updates on posts, please see: search.php?search_id=latesteditedposts

Previous threads:

2010 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=357
2011 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=495
2012 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=685
2013 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1003
2014 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1523
2015 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3297
2016 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3518
2017 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3695
2018 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3867
2019 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4555
2020 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4950

Code: Select all

[b]Undergrad Institution:[/b] (School or type of school (such as Big state/Lib Arts/Ivy/Technical/Foreign (Country?))
[b]Major(s):[/b]
[b]Minor(s):[/b]
[b]GPA:[/b]
[b]Type of Student:[/b] (Domestic/International (Country?), Male/Female?, Minority?)

[b]GRE Revised General Test:[/b]
[b]Q:[/b] xxx (xx%)
[b]V:[/b] xxx (xx%)
[b]W:[/b] x.x (xx%)
[b]GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:[/b]
[b]M:[/b] xxx (xx%)

[b]TOEFL Score:[/b] (xx = Rxx/Lxx/Sxx/Wxx) (if applicable)

[b]Program Applying:[/b] (Pure Math/Applied Math/Statistics/Operation Research/Biostatistics)

[b]Research Experience:[/b] (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications or conference talks etc...)
[b]Awards/Honors/Recognitions:[/b] (Within your school or outside?)
[b]Pertinent Activities or Jobs:[/b] (Such as tutor, TA, etc...)
[b]Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help:[/b] (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)
[b]Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:[/b]

[b]Applying to Where:[/b] (Color use here is welcome)
[u]School[/u] - Program / Admitted/Rejected/Waitlisted/Pending on (date) / Accepted/Declined
[u]School[/u] - Program / Admitted/Rejected/Waitlisted/Pending on (date) / Accepted/Declined

confused.graduate

Re: 2021 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Post by confused.graduate » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:59 am

Undergrad Institution: Private university in Pennsylvania
Major(s): French, Mathematics
Minor(s): Computer Science
GPA: 3.58 out of 4.00 (Math 3.55)
Type of Student: Domestic Female

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 159 (69%), 163 (79%), 163 (80%)
V: 160 (85%), 159 (82%), 157 (75%)
W: 4.0 (57%), 4.5 (80%), 4.0 (57%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: Cannot take due to human malware

TOEFL Score: Not Applicable

Program Applying: Pure Math

Research Experience: Nothing worth mentioning. Have been offered an undergraduate research scholarship for this summer but turned into an independent study class. Applied to this REU really close to home but was ghosted. :evil:
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: On the dean's list almost every semester, received 4 math departmental scholarships. Studied abroad in Europe for one semester, it wasn't a math study abroad just a regular study abroad.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutored college algebra and precalculus in my deparment.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Some of the classes that I will be taking this year are undergraduate/graduate cross registration classes, 2 of which (advanced calculus and modern algebra) will be on my Fall 2020 transcript. They are technically not graduate classes but there will probably be graduate students in the class. Will have 4 of these classes (adv calc 1/2, modern algebra 1/2) by graduation assuming I don't drop the ball. :D
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: One of my professor is a semi-close friend of my mom - when in high school she invites her over for events and dinners. So I am expecting at least one very strong letter. I am also diagnosed with test anxiety under ADA, which might help with my lower GPA. Being female (under-represented minority) definitely helps my application.

Applying to Where: (Color use here is welcome)

Donations
Berkeley
Chicago
Cornell - submitted
MIT
UCLA - submitted

Reach
Michigan - submitted
Ohio State
UNC Chapel Hill
UW Madison
Washington (Seattle) - submitted

Match?
Penn State - submitted
UC Davis - submitted
UC Irvine - submitted
UC Santa Barbara
UIC
Last edited by confused.graduate on Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:07 am, edited 15 times in total.

lebesgueboy98

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:26 pm

Strange year, indeed. Best of luck!! 8)

Undergrad Institution: Public Liberal Arts
Major(s): Mathematics
Minor(s): Physics
GPA: Major 4.00/4.00, overall 3.95/4.00
Type of Student: Domestic Hispanic Male

GRE Revised General Test: N/A
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: N/A

TOEFL Score: N/A

Program Applying: Both pure and applied (PhD) programs!

Research Experience: 3 NSF REU programs (one online due to COVID) in noncommutative geometry, applied analysis, and applied linear algebra. Summer research internship at MIT, senior honors thesis in functional analysis and applications to signal processing, McNair research project in computational and applied astrophysics with fluid mechanics (writing mathematical models). Currently have 1 publication, and working on 4 more that I should have submitted by the time applications are due! :D

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Goldwater Scholar, McNair Scholar, and 14 other scholarships specific to my university/local organizations including 2 multicultural and 12 other mathematics related academic awards.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Teaching assistant for topology, linear algebra, abstract algebra, and real analysis. Summer mentor for math tutoring program at my university, and co-organizer for Sonia Kovalevsky day at my institution (an event to for middle and high school girls and underrepresented students interested in mathematics). President of my university's math club and mathematics honor society for the 2018-2019 academic year, lots of volunteer service in the math department as well (assisting with book sales, pi-day events, the high school mathematics competition etc.).

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Graduate Fourier analysis class and 3 other graduate level classes at my institution (measure theory, functional analysis, and commutative algebra). Hispanic-American member of the LGBTQ+ community, connections at MIT, Cornell, Texas A&M, U of Minnesota, WSU, and KSU. One letter writer is a faculty at MIT, letters should be "very strong" according to those who have red them in the past.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Summer program in geometric analysis at Princeton and in commutative algebra at U of Notre Dame during the summer of 2018. Over 20 oral presentations in various research areas as well as 6 posters. Have presented work at the Joint Mathematics Meetings since my first-year as on campus, gave two talks at YMC, and presented research at an MIT conference this summer. Programming experience in MatLab, Python, Maple, and Mathematica.

Applying to Where:

Yale - Applied Mathematics (submitted 9/10/2020)
Cornell - Applied Mathematics
Harvard - Applied Mathematics
Rice - Applied Mathematics
Rice - Mathematics
MIT - Mathematics
MIT - Computational Science & Engineering
MIT - Physics
Princeton - Applied Mathematics (submitted 9/17/2020)
Brown - Applied Mathematics
Washington State University (WSU) - Mathematics (submitted 9/9/2020)
Kansas State University (KSU) - Mathematics (submitted 9/13/2020)
University of Minnesota - Mathematics
Texas A&M - Mathematics
CU-Boulder - Mathematics
Last edited by lebesgueboy98 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:33 am

Undergrad Institution: Large Private University
Major(s): Mathematics, Physics
Minor(s):
GPA: 4.25/5.00
Type of Student: International Male

Q: 169 (95%)
V: 142 (18%) :oops:
W: 2.5 (9%) :oops:
M: None, received email saying both were cancelled. 150 dollars refunded.

TOEFL Score: Waived

Program Applying: Pure mathematics

Research Experience:
Completed 2 summer research projects/independent study at home institution with the same professor in algebraic geometry, which resulted in 3 papers (2 listed as coauthors the other as author, all published). Currently working on a preprint in algebraic geometry that will be probably submitted soon. Also, I am on track to complete a senior thesis in topology. This is probably irrelevant but one paper was published with a physics professor in quantum theory.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
Received Putnam honorable mention once. I did not receive any department awards, the other undergraduates at my department are way too smart, they are basically a year or two ahead of me in terms of coursework and the sheer amount of mathematical knowledge they hold in their brains are just impressive.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:
Did an internship at a local equity firm in freshman/sophomore year summer. (I was an economics major)

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help:
I should have at least 8 completed graduate classes by the time of graduation (measure and integration, commutative algebra, geometric combinatorics, elliptic curves, number theory 1, topics in Lie groups, algebraic geometry, algebraic topology). I also cross registered two classes from a local private university. One of my letter will come from the professor which I did the summer project on, and the other from my senior thesis supervisor, he also taught me 18.901. They should be strong, I was told by graduate students at my dept that both of whom are 'big names' in their corresponding fields.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
I received a C in baby rudin, and that was the only C grade on my transcript for math courses. Taking real analysis for the first time was difficult and it knocked me real hard. I never had any Olympiad experience prior to entering college, and I was intimated by the other undergraduates at the department who did (the students in my depts are basically God-tier, very intimidating. bunch of them has IMO medals and are Putnam fellows). I decided it was not worth the time to retake the course, in which my advisor at the time concurred. So I went on to take manifolds and functional analysis. Honestly I am very grateful to the professors and grad students at my department, they gave me the necessary guidance and motivation to study math. The department has taught me so much.

I've consulted with my prof and my lor writers, they seem to approve of my list. :D

Will apply to 4 dream schools:
Chicago
Harvard
UC Berkeley
UCLA

5 schools with 'decent chance':
Cornell
Maryland
Michigan
UC San Diego
Washington

and 2 safety schools:
Michigan State
Pennsylvania State
Last edited by pkzrd on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffreygreenschtein

Post by jeffreygreenschtein » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:49 pm

Undergrad Institution: Private southeast USA, does have grad math program
Major(s):Mathematics, Computer Science
GPA:3.88/4.0 (Math: 3.75/4.0)
Type of Student: DWM

Graduate Institution: Same as undergraduate
Majors: Mathematics
GPA: N/A (One year program, just started)
Degree: M.S.

Q:167 (89%)
V:163 (92%)
W:4.0 (55%)
M: Canceled

TOEFL Score: N/A

Program Applying: All pure math PhD (Geometry/Topology)

Research Experience: Senior year did a 3D printing algorithms research project. Senior year did a reading course on algebraic topology and wrote an expository work on an applied topology paper. Currently working on my master's thesis, which will (hopefully) lead to original results in applied topology. No publications.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list every semester
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Many software engineering internships (didn't know I wanted to do math research until summer before senior year), one at NASA which led to a published paper about an algorithm I wrote to calculate atmospheric attenuation of an optical signal.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Have taken five grad classes in analysis, topology, differential geometry, stochastic processes, and computational complexity. LORs should be pretty decent.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Deadhead, maybe there's a heady prof or two out there.

Safety:
U Miami
Kentucky
Binghamton
Temple

Match:
LSU
Iowa
Oregon
UMASS
UGA

Reach:
UVA
Michigan State
Vandy
Notre Dame
Illinois at Chicago
Indiana

More reach:
Ohio State
Georgia Tech
Illinois at Urbana Champaign

sqwylfthsk

Post by sqwylfthsk » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:27 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small Public University
Major(s): Mathematics, Biomedical Engineering (Dual Degrees)
Minor(s):
GPA: 3.1 / 4.0
Flavor of Student: Vanilla (DWM)

Q: 163 (80%)
V: 167 (98%)
W: 5.0 (92%)
Cancelled. This is probably a huge negative for me; I usually test pretty well.
Program Applying: Applied, Ideally interdisciplinary. Logic, Topology, Probability, Differential Geometry. Hopefully PhD, though funded masters would be alright in the short-term - especially since I definitely have some rust around the edges

Research Experience: Semester at a lab, otherwise nada
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: A few deans lists, A few course awards, some Putnam points, a bunch of irrelevant ECs
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Graded for a semester, 2 Engineering Internships, 4 years working as an engineering consultant in industry
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I have some solid work experience, hopefully can wrap that into a decent story. It's ultimately my industry experiences that've pushed me to get the degree. No idea how that'll play out in admissions - any advice from you folk is much appreciated.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I never worried about GPA at school, and it's had ~0 impact on my professional life but here we are. In my defense, I ran a gauntlet of nonstop technical courses finishing two degrees while dealing with ECs, girlfriend, etc. But this is obviously the hurdle to overcome in trying to convince an admissions committee I'm not a goober. Have some solid recs from industry folk, but reaching out to professors from ~4-6 years ago has been a grab bag. This process sucks, but I get it.

Applying to Where:
Not sure where these rate on the donations/delusions/decent scale. Also looking for more programs that might suit my profile, ideally in the Midwest

Desired
Michigan, Ann Arbor - PhD, AIM
Michigan State- MSIM
CMU - PhD, Pure and Applied Logic
Notre Dame PhD, Mathematics
Indiana Bloomington PhD, Mathematics

Safe?
Hawaii Manoa - M.A., Mathematics
Alaska Fairbanks - M.S., Mathematics