Large private university
Mathematics with computer science, Physics
4.14 / 5.00
Type of Student:
International Male (Middle Eastern)
GRE Revised General Test:
I had another score with higher quant but disastrous verbal and writing so didn't submit
Completed a summer research session in algebraic geometry ended with a poster and a project. Two papers in algebraic geometry submitted as authors and published. One paper currently pending. Senior thesis in topology being completed. One paper published as coauthor in physics.
Nothing whatsoever, my department is too competitive...
Pertinent Activities or Jobs:
I interned for a equity firm in the summer immediately after my freshman year, I am going to leave it out in the application since it has nothing to do with math. I graded for linear algebra and real analysis.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help:
I have 11 graduate courses: commutative algebra, geometric combinatorics, measure theory, algebraic topology 1/2, geometry of manifolds, topics in algebraic number theory, topics in lie theory, topics in algebraic geometry, random matrix theory, algebraic number theory and elliptic curves. My letters of recommendations should be strong. Besides graduate courses I have taken the Putnam exam twice and got an honorable mention in the last one. The upcoming Putnam will probably not help even if it was to be held in December instead of February.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
I got a D in real analysis which was pretty embarrassing. My advisor told me to not worry about it so I didn't bother to retake the course. I got an A in higher level analysis courses like functional so I'm pretty sure that will more than make up for the D grade. Still, it's probably something that I will have to bring up on my application.
Applying to Where:
(Color use here is welcome)
- - Application completed 11/10 had a short phone interview on 12/8, think he was trying to gauge my interest and expectations, no hints of accept/reject given whatsoever
inquired about status and was told they are not certain if they can make me an offer, probably either waitlisted or they are still working on it oh well guess I can only wait not going to overthink about it received "formal unofficial" waitlist email 2/1
- Application completed 12/07 accepted 1/29 with some funding
- Application completed 11/10 accepted 1/22 with funding
- Application completed 12/07 first acceptance 12/17!!! funding arrived declined 1/29
UC San Diego
- Application completed 11/10 I likely screwed up the sop, hopefully they don't read them otherwise, expecting a rejection fml accepted 2/3 either they didn't read sop or they overlook my error, further info to comedeclined 2/10
- application completed 12/24 accepted 1/28 declined 2/13
- application completed 12/24 woke up 1/23 and greeted by email "blah blah ... unfortunately we are unable to offer youvv .......... first strike
- Application completed 11/10 third strike 2/3
- Application completed 11/10 second strike 2/2 too bad these donations aren't tax deductible
- application completed 12/20 application withdrawn
- application submitted 1/07 application withdrawn 1/22
- Application completed 11/10 application withdrawn 1/29
- Application completed 11/10 application withdrawn 2/5
- Application completed 11/16 application withdrawn 1/29
- application submitted 1/10 application withdrawn 1/22
- Application completed 11/10 application withdrawn 12/17, apparently they didn't get my email and ask me to complete my application so withdrew again 1/19. Withdrew the third time.
12/01 Update - Now that my last letter writer submitted the lor, most of my applications are complete. Also, the paper in review is now accepted for publication making it a total of 3 math publications, good timing.
12/24 update - applied to a couple more than planned, think that would be all the applications. Fingers crossed.
1/11 update - applied to 2 more schools in the last couple days in case osu goes south with funding
1/22 update - withdraw some applications and first rejection
1/29 withdrew some schools and declined osu
2/3 will probably attend either ucla or ucb, maybe uchicago or upenn if an offer. It is expensive to live in la or sf. I was surprised to hear back from ucsd given the massive screw up on my sop. I will declined the offer soon and good luck to those who have applied.
2/13 only outstanding schools are UChicago and Penn. Will decide after I hear back from Chicago. Hopefully before end of April
2/17 only one school outstanding, rearranged all schools based on decision. For those who are waitlisted and are still interested in ucla/b, before you pm me know that I prefer UChicago > UCB > UCLA as of now.