2021 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
confused.graduate

2021 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Post by confused.graduate » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:31 am

Allow me to start the party! This is certainly an unusual year, stay safe everyone. :D

For questions, comments, and discussions about results, please use the Sweat Thread >>> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5467.

To check the latest updates on posts, please see: search.php?search_id=latesteditedposts

Previous threads:

2010 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=357
2011 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=495
2012 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=685
2013 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1003
2014 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1523
2015 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3297
2016 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3518
2017 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3695
2018 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3867
2019 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4555
2020 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4950

Code: Select all

[b]Undergrad Institution:[/b] (School or type of school (such as Big state/Lib Arts/Ivy/Technical/Foreign (Country?))
[b]Major(s):[/b]
[b]Minor(s):[/b]
[b]GPA:[/b]
[b]Type of Student:[/b] (Domestic/International (Country?), Male/Female?, Minority?)

[b]GRE Revised General Test:[/b]
[b]Q:[/b] xxx (xx%)
[b]V:[/b] xxx (xx%)
[b]W:[/b] x.x (xx%)
[b]GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:[/b]
[b]M:[/b] xxx (xx%)

[b]TOEFL Score:[/b] (xx = Rxx/Lxx/Sxx/Wxx) (if applicable)

[b]Program Applying:[/b] (Pure Math/Applied Math/Statistics/Operation Research/Biostatistics)

[b]Research Experience:[/b] (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications or conference talks etc...)
[b]Awards/Honors/Recognitions:[/b] (Within your school or outside?)
[b]Pertinent Activities or Jobs:[/b] (Such as tutor, TA, etc...)
[b]Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help:[/b] (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)
[b]Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:[/b]

[b]Applying to Where:[/b] (Color use here is welcome)
[u]School[/u] - Program / Admitted/Rejected/Waitlisted/Pending on (date) / Accepted/Declined
[u]School[/u] - Program / Admitted/Rejected/Waitlisted/Pending on (date) / Accepted/Declined
Last edited by confused.graduate on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

confused.graduate

Re: 2021 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Post by confused.graduate » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:59 am

Undergrad Institution: Private university in Pennsylvania
Major(s): French, Mathematics
Minor(s): Computer Science
GPA: 3.58 out of 4.00 (Math 3.55)
---> (after Fall 2020, 6cr of B+ in math and 9cr A- and 3cr A gen eds/french) ---> 3.5869 and 3.5224 math
Type of Student: Domestic Female

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 159 (69%), 163 (79%), 163 (80%)
V: 160 (85%), 159 (82%), 157 (75%)
W: 4.0 (57%), 4.5 (80%), 4.0 (57%)

GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: Cannot take due to human malware

TOEFL Score: Not Applicable

Program Applying: Pure Math

Research Experience: Nothing worth mentioning. Have been offered an undergraduate research scholarship for this summer but turned into an independent study class. Applied to this REU really close to home but was ghosted. :evil:
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: On the dean's list almost every semester, received 4 math departmental scholarships. Studied abroad in Europe for one semester, it wasn't a math study abroad just a regular study abroad.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutored college algebra and precalculus in my deparment.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Some of the classes that I will be taking this year are undergraduate/graduate cross registration classes, 2 of which (advanced calculus and modern algebra) will be on my Fall 2020 transcript. They are technically not graduate classes but there will probably be graduate students in the class. Will have 4 of these classes (adv calc 1/2, modern algebra 1/2) by graduation assuming I don't drop the ball. :D
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: One of my professor is a semi-close friend of my mom - when in high school she invites her over for events and dinners. So I am expecting at least one very strong letter. I am also diagnosed with test anxiety under ADA, which might help with my lower GPA. Being female (under-represented minority) definitely helps my application.

Applying to Where:

Donations
Berkeley
Chicago
MIT
Princeton
UCLA

Reach
Cornell
Michigan
Minnesota
Ohio State
Virginia

Match?
Penn State
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Santa Barbara
UIC

Canadiann
McGill
Queens
Toronto

Pending ---> (Waitlisted) ---> Accepted / Rejected

Would be nice if they have common app for graduate schools :P
Applying to couple Canadian Schools, in case the GOP go berserk and delete our democracy.
Last edited by confused.graduate on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:14 am, edited 28 times in total.

lebesgueboy98

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:26 pm

Undergrad Institution: Public Liberal Arts
Major(s): Mathematics
Minor(s): Physics
GPA: Major 4.00/4.00, overall 3.95/4.00
Type of Student: Domestic Hispanic Male

GRE Revised General Test: N/A
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: N/A

TOEFL Score: N/A

Program Applying: PhD programs in both pure and applied mathematics.

Research Experience: 3 NSF REU programs (one each summer of undergraduate studies) in noncommutative geometry, applied analysis, and applied linear algebra. Summer research internship at MIT, senior honors thesis in analysis and applications to signal processing, research project in computational and applied astrophysics with fluid mechanics (writing mathematical models). Currently have 2 publications, and working on 3 more that I should have submitted by graduation time.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Goldwater Scholarship awarded during my sophomore year, McNair Scholar, and 14 other scholarships specific to my university/local organizations including 2 multicultural, 9 other academic awards, and 3 mathematics fellowships. Dean's List every semester. Mathematics honors society, university honors program, departmental honors.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Teaching assistant for topology, linear algebra, abstract algebra, and real analysis. Summer mentor for math tutoring program at my university, and co-organizer for Sonia Kovalevsky day at my institution (an event to for middle and high school girls and underrepresented students interested in mathematics). President of my university's math club and mathematics honor society for the 2018-2019 academic year, lots of volunteer service in the math department as well (assisting with book sales, events, the high school mathematics competition etc.). I also have tutoring experience in calculus and college algebra, and really enjoy helping other students learn new material who may be struggling with math.

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Graduate Fourier analysis class and 3 other graduate level classes at my institution (measure theory, functional analysis, and commutative algebra). Hispanic-American member of the LGBTQ+ community, connections at MIT, Cornell, Texas A&M, U of Minnesota, WSU, and KSU. One letter writer is a faculty at MIT, letters should be "very strong" according to those who have red them in the past.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Summer program in geometric analysis at Princeton and in commutative algebra at U of Notre Dame during the summer of 2018. Over 20 oral presentations in various research areas as well as 6 posters. Have presented work at the Joint Mathematics Meetings since my first-year as as an undergraduate, gave two talks at YMC, and presented research at an MIT conference this summer. Programming experience in MatLab, Python, Maple, and Mathematica. Will be presenting at the virtual 2021 JMM. NSF GRFP application submitted, so I may or may not have external funding for graduate programs.

Applying to Where:

Yale - (submitted 9/10/2020)
Rice - (submitted 10/04/2020)
Rice - (submitted 10/03/2020)
Princeton - (submitted 9/17/2020)
Washington State University - (submitted 9/9/2020)
Kansas State University - (submitted 9/13/2020)
University of Minnesota - (submitted 10/6/2020)
MIT - (submitted 10/6/2020)
Cornell - (submitted 10/29/2020)
Texas A&M -
Last edited by lebesgueboy98 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 27 times in total.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:33 am

Undergrad Institution: Large private university
Major(s): Mathematics with computer science, Physics
Minor(s): None
GPA: 4.14 / 5.00
Type of Student: International Male

Q: 163 (80%)
V: 148 (27%)
W: 3.5 (36%)

TOEFL Score:
Waived.

Program Applying:
Pure Math

Research Experience:
Completed a summer research session in algebraic geometry ended with a poster and a project. Two papers in algebraic geometry submitted as authors and published. One paper currently pending. Senior thesis in topology being completed. One paper published as coauthor in physics.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
Nothing whatsoever, my department is too competitive...

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:
I interned for a equity firm in the summer immediately after my freshman year, I am going to leave it out in the application since it has nothing to do with math. I graded for linear algebra and real analysis.

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help:
I have 11 graduate courses: commutative algebra, geometric combinatorics, measure theory, algebraic topology 1/2, geometry of manifolds, topics in algebraic number theory, topics in lie theory, topics in algebraic geometry, random matrix theory, topics in algebraic number theory and elliptic curves. My letters of recommendations should be strong. Besides graduate courses I have taken the Putnam exam twice and got an honorable mention in the last one. The upcoming Putnam will probably not help even if it was to be held in December instead of February.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
I got a D in real analysis which was pretty embarrassing. My advisor told me to not worry about it so I didn't bother to retake the course. I got an A in 18.101, 18.102 and 18.112 so I'm pretty sure that will more than make up for the D grade. Still, it's probably something that I will have to bring up on my application.

Applying to Where: (Color use here is welcome)

Dream Schools
Harvard - Application completed 11/10/2020
Princeton - Application completed 11/10/2020
UChicago - - Application completed 11/10/2020
UCLA - Application completed 11/10/2020

Match
Maryland - Application completed 11/10/2020
Michigan - Application completed 11/10/2020
Minnesota - Application completed 11/16/2020
UC San Diego - Application completed 11/10/2020

Safeties
UC Santa Barbara - Application completed 11/10/2020
UC Davis - Application completed 11/18/2020
UIC - Application completed 11/13/2020
Virginia - Application completed 11/10/2020

Super safety
URochester - Application completed 11/10/2020

Now that my last letter writer submitted the lor, most of my applications are complete. Also, the paper in review is now accepted for publication making it a total of 3 math publications, good timing. Fingers crossed. :D
Last edited by pkzrd on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:21 am, edited 9 times in total.

jeffreygreenschtein

Post by jeffreygreenschtein » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:49 pm

toots mcgoots
Last edited by jeffreygreenschtein on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

sqwylfthsk

Post by sqwylfthsk » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:27 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small Public University
Major(s): Mathematics, Biomedical Engineering (Dual Degrees)
Minor(s):
GPA: 3.1 / 4.0
Flavor of Student: Vanilla (DWM)

V: 167 (98%)
W: 5.0 (92%)
Cancelled. This is probably a huge negative for me; I usually test pretty well.
Program Applying: Applied, Ideally interdisciplinary. Logic, Topology, Probability, Differential Geometry. Hopefully PhD, though funded masters would be alright in the short-term - especially since I definitely have some rust around the edges

Research Experience: Semester at a lab, otherwise nada
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: A few deans lists, A few course awards, some Putnam points, a bunch of irrelevant ECs
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Graded for a semester, 2 Engineering Internships, 4 years working as an engineering consultant in industry
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I have some solid work experience, hopefully can wrap that into a decent story. It's ultimately my industry experiences that've pushed me to get the degree. No idea how that'll play out in admissions - any advice from you folk is much appreciated.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I never worried about GPA at school, and it's had ~0 impact on my professional life but here we are. In my defense, I ran a gauntlet of nonstop technical courses finishing two degrees while dealing with ECs, girlfriend, etc. But this is obviously the hurdle to overcome in trying to convince an admissions committee I'm not a goober. Have some solid recs from industry folk, but reaching out to professors from ~4-6 years ago has been a grab bag. This process sucks, but I get it.

Applying to Where:
Tweaked my list quite a bit since I've started this; in many ways, spending a lot less time and effort on the longshots & making sure my applications are (optimistically) high quality. Luckily, WFH.

Desired
Michigan, Ann Arbor - PhD, AIM
Northwestern PhD, EASM
Purdue PhD, Applied Mathematics; M.S. Eng - Submitted
University of Illinois, Chicago M.S., Applied Mathematics - Submitted

Safe?
Wayne State - M.S., Mathematics - Admitted, Funding unknown
Last edited by sqwylfthsk on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

lovisharora

Post by lovisharora » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:27 am

Undergrad Institution: Top Tier College in India
Major(s): Computer Science, Economics (Dual Degree)
Minor(s):
GPA: 4.0/4.0
Type of Student: International (India), Male
Q: 170 (96%)
V: 156 (72%)
W: 4.5 (80%)
M: 680/990 (54%) :(

TOEFL Score: Yet to give

Program Applying: Masters in Pure Math/Applied Math

Research Experience:
I did my undergraduate thesis on applications of number theory in Blockchain Technology under supervision of instructors from Economics and Mathematics department of my university.

Was awarded 80% scholarship on Tuition fee every semester in my undergraduate studies for exceptional performance.

I was a part of Mathematics Special Interest Group(MSIG) involving 15 students across all undergraduate students of university.
I was a part of Mathematics lecture series on Combinatorics.
I was an online tutor of Mathematics for close to one and a half year.

I took a course on Number Theory with Maths students and ended up second out of 160 students taking that course.

I got a positive feedback from my peers during my stay at Hostel for my teaching abilities. Tutored a large number of students for quant section of General GRE.
Got A's in all Mathematics related courses.

Applying to Where:

Desired
Georgia Tech
UPenn
Wisconsin Madison
Brown
Purdue

Safe?
Oregon State

saucy_marmalade

Post by saucy_marmalade » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:39 am

Undergrad Institution: Medium(?) State
Major(s): Math
Minor(s): CS
GPA: 4.0/4.0
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: N/A

Program Applying: Applied Math PhD

Research Experience: REU in graph and number theory, resulted in three published papers. REU like thing at top university in applied math/machine learning, paper in progress.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Hired as contractor at well known lab due to success in summer research.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Strong recommendations.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Studied at BSM.

Applying to Where:
Harvard SEAS
Princeton
MIT
UCLA
Brown
Stanford
Cornell
Caltech
Berkely
University of British Columbia
Duke
University of Colorado - Boulder
University of Washington - Seatlle

lazy.student

Post by lazy.student » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:24 pm

Undergrad Institution: University of California != LA or Berkeley
Major(s): Mathematics + Computer Science
Minor(s): Linguistics
Cumulative GPA=3.83, Math GPA=3.94, CS GPA=4.00
Type of Student: White boy

V: 149 (31%)
W: 4.0 (55%)
M: N/A

Program Applying: Ph.D in Mathematics

Research Experience: One REU and 3 quarters of independent studies in combinatorics and algebraic topology. By the time of graduation I should have a senior thesis in algebraic combinatorics. No publications.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: University (local UC only) scholarship, dean's list every quarter. I also got a scholarship from my high school for the duration of college for having the highest weighted GPA in mathematics.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Graded for college algebra, calculus, linear algebra and real analysis.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: My thesis supervisor and independent studies professor seems to have connections at other University of Californias (so do other faculty members I believe). They both strongly recommended me applying to UCSD and Washington so I assume they both have connections there (yes that gives away I'm also not at UCSD lol). Not sure if this helps but I'm local from California (elementary/middle/high school as well as college). Both my parents are graduates of USC. My parents house is actually in Pasadena and I've lived here since childhood but I doubt that would increase my chances at Caltech or UCLA.

I completed the first year graduate analysis and algebra sequence, as well as three quarters (our school uses a quarter system) of higher graduate algebra, analysis, algebraic topology and differential geometry. Also taken two seminars in representation theory and differential topology. I should have 6 more quarters of graduate courses upon graduation.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I prefer to stay in the west coast so I am only applying to schools here. Not sure if that's a good idea, but my professors did say I definitely will get into at least 1 if not half of them. There are couple schools on my list my advisor literally told me 'oh you will get in'. Maybe I am just not confident enough. :lol: but I am certain at least 2 of my letters will be very strong.

Caltech - Pure Math / their application is still not open .... :shock:
Oregon - Pure Math / Submitted 2020.10.08
UC Berkeley - Pure Math / Submitted 2020.10.08
UC Davis - Pure Math / probably will apply
UC Irvine - Pure Math / Submitted 2020.10.12
UCLA - Pure Math / Submitted 2020.10.10
UCSB - Pure Math / Submitted 2020.10.07
UCSD - Pure Math / Submitted 2020.10.10
USC - Pure Math / Submitted 2020.10.12
Washington - Pure Math / Submitted 2020.10.10

nguyen99

Post by nguyen99 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:53 pm

The data found in this forum is incredibly helpful, and assisted me ichoosing my school list in terms of which school is match, safety or reach. Hopefully my data will help others next year just like the ones before us helped us this year.

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 Private in the US
Major(s): Mathematics, Physics
Minor(s):
GPA: 3.896/4.000 (math gpa: 3.942, lowest grade is C in a upper level physics course)
Type of Student: Domestic/International Asian Male (US and Canadian dual citizenship)

Q: 169 (xx%)
V: 166 (xx%)
W: 5.0 (xx%) I'll add the percentiles later have to check, this isn't important anyways
Cannot take.

TOEFL Score: (xx = Rxx/Lxx/Sxx/Wxx) (if applicable)
Not Applicable

Research Experience: Did an arguable competitive REU, and we ended up with two papers - one of them has already been published; the other one was rejected by the first journal we submitted to, and is currently being reviewed in the second journal. Also, did independent work with a professor at my university in the area of homological algebra and resulted in a paper published, in which I was a primary author. Tried doing some research in physics but did not end up with any publications or results, guess physics is just not my cup of tea. Senior thesis is a requirement at my school, and I'll be doing it in differential topology. To sum it up, 2 papers published as authors and 1 paper submitted in review (it's been over a year don't know what to expect at this point).
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: I did receive a major scholarship for my undergraduate studies in the US, otherwise my family can never afford the tuition charged by American universities. I participated in some high school math contests but never finishes in the top. I took the Putnam but never got any honorable mentions or fellow, I did score double digit twice on it. My advisor told me to put it down as an 'accomplishment' when I am applying to doctorate programs but I have my doubts.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Did some tutoring in my department and at the library, graded for calculus for two semesters and analysis for another two semesters (the four semesters are disjoint)
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Took 9 graduate courses in mathematics and 1 in physics. Currently taking 2 graduate courses in math and probably 3 more before I get my degree.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I finished secondary school in Canada but I am a US citizen (from one side of my parents) so that probably helps. I am getting my letters from my REU supervisor, my current thesis advisor and the professor I did independent research with in commutative algebra. So I should have 3 strong if not very strong letters, hopefully. Ironically, all 3 of the professors are from MIT from a certain point of view (technically, one of them was an MIT undergraduate not PhD graduate, so 2).

Reach!! 8)
Harvard - submitted Oct 14
MIT - submitted Oct 14
Princeton - submitted Nov 16
UCLA - submitted Nov 16
Cornell - submitted Nov 19
Berkeley - submitted Nov 19

Match?
Alberta - submitted Oct 20, accepted Nov 15!! + funding CAD 35000 but no tuition remission, extended reply deadline from end of year to end of March
UC San Diego - submitted Nov 12
UC Santa Barbara - submitted Nov 12
Minnesota - submitted Nov 12
Ohio State - submitted Nov 16
Toronto - submitted Nov 16
UC Davis - submitted Nov 19
UIC - submitted Nov 24
Texas A&M - submitted Nov 24
Indiana U at Bloomington - submitted Nov 25

Arguably Safeties
Calgary - submitted Oct 15, first unofficial acceptance Nov 12 + supervisor of choice + funding around CAD 48000 (no tuition remission)
Louisiana State - submitted Oct 16, withdrawn Nov 17
Oregon State - submitted Oct 21+-3 days, withdrawn Nov 16
Boston U - submitted Oct 22, withdrawn Nov 16
Iowa - submitted Oct 25, withdrawn Nov 17
Kansas - submitted Oct 25, withdrawn Nov 17

Probable Safeties (last line of defense or gap year)
Concordia - submitted Oct 16, withdrawn Nov 17
Kansa State - submitted Oct 21, withdrawn Nov 14
Nebraska - submitted Oct 22 or 23, withdrawn Nov 14

I definitely applied to too many programs, if I knew the Canadian programs I applied to get back to me that quickly I would have waited. Being a Canadian citizen definitely helps with my Canadian applications, but I do think Canadian schools are overlooked by applicants, especially the ones from the US. I am the only person I know at my college applying to Canadian schools no one seems interested. There are some very strong programs out there i.e. UBC, Toronto McGill and Alberta, not sure why no one wants to apply there, maybe it's the cold climate that turns people away. Being a lifelong resident of Alberta we are used to very cold temperature :(
Last edited by nguyen99 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.

gromov.fan

Post by gromov.fan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:10 pm

Undergrad Institution: Low Ranked Big State School
Minor(s): Computer Science
GPA: 3.486 (math GPA: 3.880)
Type of Student: Domestic White Male

GRE Revised General Test: (unofficial, will edit in official scores when I receive them)
Q: 166 (xx%)
V: 163 (xx%)
W: x.x (xx%)
A victim of 2020 (cancelled)

N/A

Program Applying: Pure Math PhD. Really interested in geometric group theory.

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications or conference talks etc...)
No real research experience. Doing Master's Project in Algebra this year.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)
Awarded small departmental scholarship last year. Made the Dean's List a couple times.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, etc...)
Vice President of my school's Pi Mu Epsilon chapter.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)
Taken 8 graduate classes at time of application, will have taken 11 at time of graduation. Finished 3 of my university's Qualifying Exam sequences. Was a part of my university's Accelerated Masters Program. Was on the Men's Rowing Team for all four years (not sure how helpful this is, I've heard it's impressive to law school admissions, don't know how much that carries over to grad school)
Nothing that I can really think of.

Reach
Cornell
Wisconsin -
UC San Diego -
Michigan -
Purdue -
Notre Dame -

Match?
Michigan State -
Virginia -
Boston College -
Oklahoma -
Oregon -

Safety? (loose use of the term)
Nebraska -
Kansas State -
Colorado State -

pietropic

Post by pietropic » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:06 pm

Undergrad Institution: Brazilian most prestigious university
Major(s): Math
Minor(s): nope
GPA: 9,6/10 (9,7/10 in math) pondered average
Type of Student: International white male (maybe latino)

Q: xxx (xx%)
V: xxx (xx%)
W: x.x (xx%)
M: xxx (xx%)

TOEFL Score: (xx = Rxx/Lxx/Sxx/Wxx) waived

Program Applying: Pure Math phd for American universities, master for Europe/Brazil

Research Experience: Senior thesis in Morse theory, funded by the most prestigious agency in Brazil. No papers, or got any close to real research.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Ranked first in my class.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for: Calculus 2, Differentiable functions and series, real analysis and algebraic topology
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Fluent in 4 languages, 5th (french) on the way. Might go next year (depends on the covid 19 situation) to an exchange semester in Europe, planning to take only master courses, in analysis and geometry
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Taken 5 grad classes in home university and, funded, grad summer courses in a, prestigious, institute for research in mathematics in Brazil.

Applying to Where:
Reach:
Stony Brook
Toronto
PGSM - Paris
Max Planck - Bonn

Match:(hopefully)
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
IST- Lisbon
IMPA - Rio

MolecularCaterpillar

Post by MolecularCaterpillar » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:48 am

Undergrad Institution: Foreign Asian (unknown?)
Major(s): Physics
Minor(s): Mathematics
GPA: 3.9x/4 major, 4/4 math (5 upper division by application, 11 by graduation)
Type of Student: International asian male

V: 165 (96%)
None due to COVID

TOEFL Score: 108 = R30/L30/S23/W25

Program Applying: Pure Math PhD (geometry / topology)

Research Experience: all physics cuz the decision to switch came very late (may not help much?), one in black hole physics, one in supersymmetry, no formal publication yet
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list and some merit-based scholarships in my home school
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: None that's relevant
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: 2 grad courses this year (none completed yet :( ); thesis on mathematics of quantization, just review though; a recommender seems to be fairly famous in his field and has quite a bit of connections in the US, not sure how true that is
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: First-generation college student?

All PhD if not mentioned
U Chicago
LSGNT
UT Austin
U Mich
Maryland
Stony Brook
Utah
IU Bloomington
UIUC
Ohio
UVA
Vanderblit
Home school (MPhil)

TBH, this list feels a bit aggressive to me, any opinions / suggestions for schools that fit my profile?

jjmb11

Post by jjmb11 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:14 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small Lib Arts
Minor(s): Education
GPA: 3.79
Type of Student: DWF

Q: 162
V: 161
W: 5.0
None bc Covid

Program Applying: Mix of Pure and Applied

Research Experience: I've done 2 REUs, one of which I am currently working on a paper for. Both have led to a few posters and presentations at various conferences. Both were in more applied areas.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Scholars program at my school, dean's list all semesters, and math honors society.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I tutored briefly earlier on in college, but not much.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Not much! I've taken the Putnam a few times, but no crazy scores, and I lead the math club.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I didn't do great in Real Analysis, so I'm not too thrilled with how that looks on my transcript. I'm hoping how I did in algebra will balance that out, but we'll see. I think I have fairly middle of the road stats, so I tried to be a little judicious in where I was applying because of how weird this year has been.

Applying to Where: (In no particular order)
Boston University
Ohio State
Penn State
UIC
Lehigh
UMass Amherst
UConn
RPI
Virginia Tech
Carnegie Mellon
U Delaware
Brandeis

Posting because this forum was helpful as I chose where to apply! Good luck everyone!!

EulersIdentities

Post by EulersIdentities » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:11 pm

Undergrad Institution: University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ)
Minor(s): Japanese
GPA: 3.64
Type of Student: Domestic, Male, First Generation, Caucasian

Corona LOL
Corona LOL

Program Applying: Pure Math PhD

Research Experience: None
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Stipend for best researched presentation during an early-start program out of a few hundred students which funded my stay at the U of A. Graduated in two years.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA / Tutor 3 semesters out of 4
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: First Gen. Graduated in 2 years.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Fluent in Japanese
Boston University - Math PhD - Submitted 11/14/20
Brandeis University - Math PhD- Submitted 11/14/20
New York University - Math PhD- Applying 11/15/20
Ohio State - Math PhD- Submitted 11/14/20
Pennsylvania State - Math PhD- Applying 11/15/20
UC (Berkeley) - Math PhD- Cancelling Application
UC(Davis) - Math PhD- Applying 11/15/20
U Chicago - Math PhD- Submitted 11/14/20
U Michigan (Ann Arbor) - Math PhD- Applying 11/15/20
University of Oregon - Math PhD- Cancelling Application
University of Washington - Math PhD - Submitted 11/14/20
Northeastern - Math PhD - Applying 11/15/20
Michigan State University - Math PhD - Applying 11/15/20

yyysun

Post by yyysun » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:17 am

Undergrad Institution: U.S. Public
Minor(s):
GPA: 3.91 (Major: 3.94)
Type of Student: International Asian Male

N/A
N/A

Program Applying: Pure Math PhD

Research Experience: One REU. No paper published.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Putnam rank around 250 for two years.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for one complex analysis course
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I took all the math courses I can take except numerical analysis, 23 upper-division math courses in total. Still I had to spent three years for prerequisites of graduate courses :cry: . No graduate courses on my transcript :cry: . Spent most of time self-studying various topics, but they don't really count except those mentioned in my letters.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I got a no pass on a geometry course because I missed the final :oops: . I retook it and got an A though. Three letters. One from my REU mentor is strong. Not sure about the other two letters.

Applying to Where: (All pure math PhD)

Donation:
UCB
Chicago
UCLA
Caltech
UMich
LSGNT

Reach:
Cornell
Wisconsin
UIUC
Northwestern
Stony Brook
ALGANT
BMS

Match(Hopefully?):
CMU
UW-Seattle
JHU
Ohio State
Utah

Safe:
Brandeis
Last edited by yyysun on Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.

anonymousanalyst

Post by anonymousanalyst » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:17 pm

Undergrad Institution: University of California
Major(s): Pure Math
Minor(s): N/A
GPA: 3.8 (Math 3.9)
Type of Student: Domestic (US Citizen) Asian Male

V: 164 (94%)
M: RIP

Program Applying: Pure Math PhD (Geometry)

Research Experience: Two summer projects at home institution (individually with professors). No publications.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Received a highly selective department award (one of three recipients). Math departmental honors. Dean's List every term. Top 500 in Putnam a few times. UC Regents Scholar.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Math teaching experience through local math circle.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Passed the department's graduate qualifying exam after freshman year. Took more grad than undergrad math classes. Graduating with Master's degree.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to Where: (Ordered by deadline since I was too lazy to reorganize)
UChicago (pending 11/27/20)
USC (pending 11/27/20)
Duke (pending 11/27/20)
Stanford (pending 11/27/20)
Harvard (pending 11/27/20)
MIT (pending 11/27/20)
Princeton (pending 11/27/20)
Berkeley (pending 11/27/20)
UCLA (pending 11/27/20)
Caltech (pending 11/27/20)
Michigan (pending 11/27/20)
Northwestern (pending 11/27/20)
Yale (pending 11/27/20)
UT Austin (pending 11/27/20)
WashU (pending 11/27/20)
Georgia Tech (pending 11/27/20)
Stony Brook (pending 11/27/20)
Cornell (pending 11/27/20)
NYU (pending 11/27/20)
Boston University (pending 11/27/20)
Rice (pending 11/27/20)
Notre Dame (pending 11/27/20)
UCSD (pending 11/27/20)
Last edited by anonymousanalyst on Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jenkins8

Post by Jenkins8 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Undergrad Institution: Public University in Michigan
Minor(s):
GPA: 3.31/4
Type of Student: Domestic Black Male

Q: 156 (59%)
V: 153 (60%)
W: 4.0 (55%)
M: xxx (xx%)

Research Experience: Presented 3 posters and given a talk recently at a teleconference on mathematical modeling. Taken two classes in independent studies on numerical analysis and random matrix theory, currently working on a graduation project in matrix theory.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: I've gotten several diversity scholarships to cover my undergraduate tuition. Also a departmental award (roughly adds up to 12k). I have gotten an award for one of my poster but that's only a recognition of sorts and didn't come with any monetary awards or trophy if you get me.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I tutor undergraduate in our tutoring lab, mostly calculus and algebra.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I participated in over 5 in-person conferences and gotten to know many people from around the country. I think some of the professors I've talked to during conferences definitely will remember me. Two of my letter writers know my for quite a while so I should have at least two very strong and personal letters.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I grew up in the hood in a poor family and lived off government assistances (i.e. SNAP, Medicaid, free lunch). My family consistently makes less than 30k and none of my family members have had a college degree. I have gotten fee waivers from all the schools that I am applying to due to low income and being a black male.

Applying to Where: (Color use here is welcome) listed in order of preference
MIT - Pending on (not yet submitted)
UChicago - Pending on (01.11.2020)
UCLA - Pending on (not yet submitted)
Michigan - Pending on (01.11.2020)
Minnesota - Pending on (10.11.2020)
UIUC - Pending on (15.11.2020)
Ohio State - Pending on (10.11.2020)
UC San Diego - Pending on (15.11.2020)
Maryland - Pending on (10.11.2020)
Notre Dame - Pending on (12.11.2020)
UIC - Pending on (12.11.2020)
Northwestern - Pending on (15.11.2020)
Indiana - Pending on (12.11.2020)
UC Davis - Pending on (12.11.2020)
UC Irvine - Pending on (10.11.2020)
Penn State - Pending on (15.11.2020)
Virginia - Pending on (10.11.2020)
UC Santa Barbara - Pending on (12.11.2020)

reluctantforumuser

Post by reluctantforumuser » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Undergrad Institution: Private research; top 50
Minor(s): None
GPA: 3.913 / 4.0, Math GPA: 3.932 / 4.0
Type of Student: Domestic white male

Q: 164 (83%)
V: 163 (92%)

TOEFL Score:
N/A

Program Applying:
Pure Math (Geometry/topology)

Research Experience:
One summer research internship in quantitative finance, nothing to show for it. Junior summer at well-known REU, a few papers still in preparation, but no publications at this point.

Full merit scholarship to university, nominated for Goldwater, junior inductee to Phi Beta Kappa, and some departmental awards.

Graded, tutored (paid and volunteer), and TA’d throughout undergrad. I'm on the executive board of my school's math society.

Took all the first-year core graduate courses and several graduate topics courses and reading courses specifically in geometry/topology. My university isn’t ranked, and the PhD program is relatively new, but it does have a reputation for the strength of its faculty in geometry/topology; I’m hoping this overcomes the general lack of prestige. Expecting strong letters (isn’t that the standard?): the first writer was my REU supervisor; the second I took an undergrad elective with, is advising my senior thesis, and I currently TA and grade for; and the third I took a first-year graduate class and a reading course with. All of them are full professors and pretty well-known in the field.

Applied for the NSF GRFP and a Fulbright, and listed this information when applications asked about fellowships I applied to. Yale’s the only school I’m applying to that requires the general GRE, and I'm not sending the scores elsewhere.

Brown
Caltech
Cambridge Part III
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Georgia Tech
Harvard
MIT
Princeton
Rice
Stanford
U Chicago
U Michigan
U Penn
UC Berkeley
UC Los Angeles
UC Santa Barbara
UT Austin
Yale
Last edited by reluctantforumuser on Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M2000

Post by M2000 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:25 pm

Undergrad Institution: Ivy
Minor(s): Computer Science, Japanese
GPA: 3.89 (undergraduate and graduate courses)
Type of Student: Domestic, Female, Asian

V: 167 (97%)
W: 5.5 (97%)
M: 900 (94%) - from last autumn, I signed up for the April exam but it got cancelled.

TOEFL Score: (not applicable)

Program Applying: Pure Math (Algebra/Combinatorics)

Research Experience: Completed one REU with some decent results and was later invited by my REU supervisor to publish a paper in algebraic combinatorics as an author. Approximately half the results in this paper is my work during REU and I helped proofread the other half, which was his work. At my home institution, I was able to get some decent original results after asking for research opportunities from my number theory professor, and we were able to get one paper published in automorphic forms, and are currently working on revising a second paper. I was told by him that this will likely be accepted for publication. I am also working on a graduation thesis (or senior project) in combinatorics, it is going `according to schedule.'
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: I was nominated for 2 national scholarships and won one of them. I also put down a major national scholarship that I won during my high school senior year.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Graded for pre-calculus (2 semesters) and multivariable calculus (1 semester).
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: My high school is nationally ranked, and I was fortunate to have completed introductory analysis by graduation (theory of limits, differentiation and integration). I jumped right into real analysis and abstract algebra in my freshman year. Right now I have 11 graduate courses (counting this semester) under my belt, planning to take 2 more. I have exhausted all pure math undergraduate courses I can take and most of graduate ones too.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I should have two decent letters from professors I have done research with and written a paper together. The third letter is from someone fairly famous (relatively popular textbook used by most math programs) whom taught 5 of my courses (4 graduate courses). I am finishing my degree in 3 years (I will be 21 after graduation), but all programs I’m applying to told me it won’t be used against my application.

Princeton - Pending on 2020-11-02
MIT - Pending on 2020-11-02
UCLA - Pending on 2020-11-07
UC Berkeley - Pending on 2020-11-07
UC San Diego - Pending on 2020-11-14
Minnesota - Pending on 2020-11-18
UC Davis - Pending on 2020-11-25
Cornell - Pending 2020-11-25

Good luck! Stay safe and cheers! :wink:
Last edited by M2000 on Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

LogiKid

Post by LogiKid » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:34 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small international (ranked ~#200 in world)
GPA: 4.33
Type of Student: International white male

V: 168 (98%)
W: 6.0 (99%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: Cancelled twice :evil:

Program Applying: Mathematical logic (pure math / philosophy / CS)

Research Experience:
  • Two REUs, resulting in one co-authored paper (accepted to mid-tier journal) and one sole-author paper (submitted).
  • Two co-authored papers from individual research with a colleague.
  • Original research as part of senior project (paper forthcoming).
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Many top-of-class awards (small class, not hard).
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TAing for several undergrad courses for the last two years. Organiser of two seminar series in my department. Reviewer for zbMATH.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Two of my recommenders are very eminent in their fields - one has a Wikipedia page. They were both supervisors for my senior project, and I think they both think highly of me, so I hope for a good recommendation. Have given several (8 and counting!) seminar talks this year, but only at small intra-university seminars.

Applying to Where: (more to be added later)

USA
CMU Math, Logic PhD
CMU Philosophy, Logic PhD
UConn, Math PhD
UC Berkeley, Logic PhD
UW Madison, Math PhD

Canada
Ottawa, Math PhD

UK
Leeds, Math PhD
Last edited by LogiKid on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

liuluck22

Post by liuluck22 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:22 am

Undergrad Institution: Top Big State
Major(s):Mathematics, Electrical engineering
GPA: 3.84
Type of Student: International Asian Male

GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: N/A, take one in my sophomore year and get around 70%

TOEFL Score:[N/A]

Program Applying: Pure Math, graph theory, combinatorics, ACO programs, all PhD, except master in canada

Research Experience: 5 research experience :shock: , one in material science, four in math, one is about partial differential equation, the rest three are all extremal, structural graph theory, all results in posters and reports, one paper in preprint, one of the math research is an REU like program.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Several Deans lists, one scholarship in material science, higher honor at Budapest Semester in mathematics, department scholars, etc, nothing special...

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Budapest Semester in Mathematics with higher honor, took 5 math classes there; 3 grad class in graph theory and combinatorics in my home school; took around 7 classes in graph theory and combinatorics in all, including extremal, structural, random graph theory, probabilistic methods, etc; 2 recommendation letters are from famous professors. I think they are committees of the most famous journals and conferences in these areas. Honor undergrad analysis

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Dual degree in electrical engineering with around 170 credits when I graduate

Applying to Where:USA, Canada, UK, Germany. All pure math except CMU and Gatech (ACO there)

Dream
MIT
Princeton
Stanford
Oxford
Cambridge

Reach
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Emory]
CMU
Gatech
Berlin Mathematical school
Rutgers

Safe
University of South Carolina
University of Memphis Admitted ( message from committee)
University of Victoria
University of Illinois, Chicago

bannanagamma

Post by bannanagamma » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:14 am

Undergrad Institution: High Ranked Private University
Minor(s): Economics
GPA: 3.87/4.0
Type of Student: DWF

Q: 165 (96%)
V: 168 (92%)
W: 5.5 (98%)
Didn't take it 8)

Program Applying: Graph theory + combi

Research Experience: Attended 1 REU and won a fellowship to work on research with a professor from my university this summer. I didn't publish but I think both of my research advisors liked working with me.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Won a small scholarship for being a top senior at my university. I'm also in an honors society, but it's for economics haha. And dean's list, etc.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I have TAed for 4 semesters, 3 of them for the introductory proofs class. I have taught over 100 students and the work is pretty substantial (content creation, teaching 4 hrs/week, grading, etc usually sums to over 20 hours of work per week... ). Also TA'ed for a senior level graph theory course.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I have taken 3 grad classes, 2 of them being in discrete math/combi. I think that all 3 of my letters are going to be very strong. I've known the professor whose classes I TA since my first semester of college, and they told me their letter was very strong. My REU advisor also told me they were writing me a strong letter. My research advisor from this past summer is pretty famous in graph theory. :mrgreen: so i'm pretty happy with that. Other than that, I think I've worked really hard on my personal statements, especially since I applied to GRFP and so I've worked on my application writings since August.

UChicago
CalTech
UT Austin
UCSD
UIUC
Rutgers
Northwestern
GaTech
UW
OSU
UIC
UCI
USC
Iowa State
University of Hawaii

Good luck to everyone :D :) :o :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:

lunaslicetheorem

Post by lunaslicetheorem » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:34 pm

Undergrad Institution: Waterloo
Major(s): Pure Mathematics
Minor(s): East Asian Studies
GPA: ~96.5% cumulative, ~98.5% mathematics
Type of Student: DWM (Canada)

V: 164 (94%)
W: 4.5 (80%)
M: Nope!

Program Applying: Pure Math - (Algebraic) geometry / (geometric) invariant theory

Research Experience: Eight months of research on two NSERC grants. One published paper and two forthcoming (one single author), to be submitted and (hopefully!) accepted to a top journal. Two conference talks (one at an undergraduate conference).
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Pure mathematics departmental award and a faculty term report award. Also a national CS olympiad medal, although it's ancient now so I doubt it matters. I can't bring myself to take it off my resume though...
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Combined roughly 20 months experience in TAing in full/part time capacity for math/computer science courses. 1 year of software engineering internship work in fintech. Top evaluations in all work placements.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: A good number of graduate classes (6 crosslisted undergraduate/masters, 5 Ph.D. topics courses with 2 more selected for next term) and three strong letter writers who were somewhat confident in my picks (we shall see...!)
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 2 time intramural dodgeball finalists. You never know.

Applying to Where: (Ph.D. / DPhil in (Pure) Mathematics except where specified)
Oxford - Submitted 11/13. Interviewed 11/26.
MIT - Not yet submitted.
Harvard - Not yet submitted.
Tokyo (MMath) - Submitted around 10/20. Interviewed 11/25.
Waterloo (MMath) - Submitted 9/22.