2021 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
elene201

Re: 2021 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Post by elene201 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:24 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small Liberal Arts College in the US
Minor(s): None
GPA: 3.94 (Math GPA: 3.99)
Type of Student: (International white female )

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 168 (92%)
V: 158 (79%)
W: 4.0 (55%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
Couldn't take it.

Program Applying: Pure Math (Differential Geometry/PDE)

Research Experience: I did some sort of research every summer. After my first year, I stayed in my college and worked on a problem in fractal geometry. We still haven't submitted it but we will in the next couple of weeks. I'm one of the co-authors. Next summer I was just mainly learning differential geometry. Last summer I did 2 research projects both outside of my home institution. One of the papers is submitted and we will submit the other one somewhat soon. Both of them are on arXiv. I also did a poster presentation and a talk at JMM, but that doesn't seem very important.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: I won most math competitions in our department, had somewhat okay scores at Putnam (usually around 20), I got Highest Honors at Budapest Semester in Mathematics. Before college got an Honorable Mention at IMO, and a Silver Medal at European Girls' Mathematical Olympiad.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I tutored calculus almost every semester. I was a writing associate for abstract algebra (helped students with math writing), and for several semesters I was a TA mostly for Transition to Theoretical Math. I also graded physics homeworks for a semester.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I think I know my professors very well. They seem to like me a lot, and I've worked with them quite a bit. I also don't have any graduate classes, since we don't have any at my school. But I took independent studies whenever there weren't enough math classes offered. I'm graduating with 20-25 math classes above the calculus level.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I think I covered everything.

Applying to Where: (Color use here is welcome)
Dream
Berkeley - Rejected (01.29)
MIT - Rejected (02.05)
NYU - Rejected
Duke - Invited for an interview (01.28) Unofficial acceptance: an email from DSG saying the department is recommending me. No word about funding yet. (02.11) Plan to withdraw
Brown - Got an email saying that they are recommending my admissions to the graduate deans. They said after that there is almost no chance not to be accepted. One year of fellowship and four years of TAship/RAship, but nothing about the exact amount. (02.09) Plan to Attend
UT Austin - Accepted (02.05) $34K fellowshipPlan to withdraw

Reach
Johns Hopkins - Accepted (02.02) $36K fellowshipPlan to withdraw
Rutgers - Accepted (02.05) No word about funding yet / was offered $30K TAship. I think it's standard for everyone (02.07)Plan to withdraw
Stony Brook - AcceptedPlan to withdraw

Match
University of Washington - AcceptedPlan to withdraw
UNC - Their email of inquiry of interest went to my span and I saw it once the acceptances were sent out. I was already admitted to schools I preferred so I withdrew withdrew
UC Irvine - [AcceptedPlan to withdraw

Safety
Vanderbilt - Rejected
NC State - Accepted (02.02) 19.5K TAship with health insurance, but have to pay for student fees: 1300 per semester.withdrew
Temple - Unofficially Accepted (01.23)withdrew
Last edited by elene201 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 12 times in total.

emmynoether126

Post by emmynoether126 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:59 pm

Undergrad Institution: Big state school, unknown for math
Major(s): Mathematics (BS)
Minor(s): Applied Mathematics, Spanish, Statistics and Operations Research
GPA: 4.0 / 4.0
Type of Student: Domestic White Female

Q: 170 (96%)
V: 157 (75%)
W: 5.5 (98%)
M: cancelled twice due to COVID, and I was hoping it might boost my application

TOEFL Score: N/A

Program Applying: Pure Math PhD (research interests: number theory, maybe algebra or analysis)

Research Experience:
Research at my university since the second month of undergrad (includes summer) in analytic number theory. No publications or talks. My one class was research-based, and my group researched mathematical aspects of brain stroke detection (microwave technology) using numerical techniques. We were supposed to have a poster at our university's STEM research expo, but it was cancelled due to COVID. Accepted to REU in analytic number theory, but it was postponed (see below).
Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
Honors concentration at my university. Mathematics Scholarship from the math department for this academic year. Accepted to REU at a small school (their first REU program) for Summer 2020, but it is postponed to Summer 2021 due to COVID. At my county college, I was a member of Mu Alpha Theta (math honor society). At my university, I will be inducted into Pi Mu Epsilon (math honor society) this spring (postponed from last spring due to COVID). I doubt this helps, but President's List (4.0) every applicable semester at my university and county college.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs:
Math tutor (paid) for my county college for 3 years. Math tutor (volunteer) for my university for 2 years as a member of Math Team. I have a leadership role in my university's women in STEM club (added afterwards - this probably didn't matter for applications, but it helped when I interviewed for a scholarship).
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help:
2 grad classes during my senior year: 1 in numerical analysis, 1 in linear algebra. (At my university, undergrads are only allowed 2 grad classes.) I assisted with Putnam practice this year, but I don't mention it; my one letter writer might. Female.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
I took lots of college courses in high school, so I am graduating after 2 years. I am hoping it is looked upon positively (as a result of my determination) rather than negatively. I did a lot of independent study for math courses, mostly lower-level classes, but some upper-level as well. Some of these are reflected on my transcript, others are not. I consider myself first generation, but on some applications I do not count as first generation due to the wording (siblings...). For the schools that have world language requirements, I mention in my Statement of Purpose that I have intermediate proficiency in Spanish and am trying to learn French.

Please feel free to PM me for details.

Applying to Where:
Bryn Mawr College -
  • Applied 12/31
  • Rejected 05/20
Pennsylvania State University -
  • Applied 12/05
  • Accepted 01/22 with stipend, supplement, summer support, tuition waived, health insurance subsidy, fees covered, TA duties of 20 hours/week, Virtual Open House 03/06
  • Fellowship with stipend, no TA duties for first year
  • Scholarship
  • Attending :D
Rutgers University -
  • Applied 11/29
  • Waitlisted 02/19
  • Declined waitlist
University of Maryland -
  • Applied 12/31
  • Rejected 05/15
Wesleyan University -
  • Applied 12/31
  • Unofficially Accepted 02/17
  • Accepted 02/22 with stipend, tuition waived, health insurance subsidy, TA duties
  • Declined offer
Note: My 1 recommender suggested I apply to some more reach schools. I didn't.

Reflection: I got accepted to 2 schools, waitlisted at 1, and rejected (in May) from 2. I am happy with where I got accepted, especially since the one was my top choice when submitting applications. It might have been a good idea to apply to a few more schools, but that takes more time, money, effort, etc. Best of luck to all going through the application process.
Last edited by emmynoether126 on Thu May 20, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.

contingent

Post by contingent » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:48 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small University of California
Major(s): Pure Math BA (now equivalent to BS)
GPA: 3.62 both cumulative and major
Type of Student: DWM

GRE: Nothing. Very encouraged to see so many in the same boat. My picks were heavily based on each department's view on the GRE.

Program Applying: All Pure Math PhD's (Algebraic Geometry/Topology <-> Particle Theory)

Research Experience/Workshops: Nothing in math. Briefly held a paid position with a QED lab at the particle physics institute at my UC where we developed detectors for CERN -- realized the computational side of physics wasn't for me and left after a few months, ever since then I have been pursuing a more pure math track. Attended a workshop for STEM transfer students in bayesian astrostatistics.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: UC Regents Scholarship, major Honors, four-times Dean's honors
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutored a quarter of undergraduate number theory at UC. Remotely tutored math full-time for K-12 students from indigenous communities in CA during winter of 2020-21.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: (1) Relevant undergrad courses: algebraic geometry, topology, graph theory, advanced linear algebra, abstract algebra A and B, and real and complex analysis. No grad courses. (2) Highly accelerated/overloaded undergraduate track (went from calc 1 to finishing the math major in 2 years) shows my preparedness for PhD coursework. (3) Strong senior capstone in geometric topology topic. (4) Four LOR's from profs I took upper-division classes with: two from my field of interest, one from an algebraist and one from my capstone advisor/topology prof -- received A's or better in all their classes. Also sending one LOR from the UC tutoring program's director. I see sending 5 letters as a way to fill in the holes in my application.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Three years of formal education in audio engineering/sound design/music production -- drew parallels to math research in my essays.

Philanthropy:
Caltech - Rejected 2/19
Cornell - Rejected 4/14
Duke - Rejected 2/4
NYU - Rejected 3/17 for PhD, Accepted 3/17 to unfunded MS Basically a soft rejection due to cost. Declined
Stony Brook - Rejected 3/12 Expected but still sad. My top choice.
UCB - Rejected 1/29 ~800 applicants ~30 spots
UT Austin - Rejected ?/? No notification, appeared one day in portal. How hard is it to send an email?
UW - Rejected 2/26

Fingers knotted:
NCSU - Accepted 4/7 off the waitlist via email. 19.5k TAship + tuition and health insurance. Fixed 1300 in fees per semester. So so so excited! This is very good for life reasons. Pretty standard offer, though not super happy about the fees. But their geometry/topology/math physics group is perfect for me so I'll take it. Stressed opportunities for other fellowships and funding in the future also, which tulane did not mention. ***ATTENDING!!!***
OSU - Rejected 3/5 Late/standby application, wasn't surprised.
UCI - Rejected 2/8 ~330 applicants ~40 spots
UCSB - Rejected 4/8
U Utah - Soft rejection via email 4/13 "It appears that we won’t make another round of offers."

Safety:
Syracuse - Submitted 1/27. Ghosted!
Tulane - Accepted 2/24 -- 21k TA-ship + tuition and partial health insurance. Variable 500-1000 in student fees per semester depending on credit hours enrolled. Declined
U Hawaii Manoa - Watlisted 3/8 Attended virtual info session, really lovely people. Ghosted!

Looks like if you have a weak application, sending 5 letters is not a bad idea!
Last edited by contingent on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:40 am, edited 66 times in total.

contingent

Post by contingent » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:25 pm

UniformlyDivergent wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:20 pm
I was homeschooled through highschool
Same here! Also relate to the family struggles, perhaps not an uncommon symptom of homeschooling.
I also wrote all of my documents in LaTeX, for style points.
OMG why did I not think of this! Good luck, fellow UCB and UCSB applicant :)

woeinorwin

Post by woeinorwin » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:15 am

Undergrad Institution: Top 20 Public US
Major(s): Mathematics and Economics
Minor(s): CS
GPA: 4.00
Type of Student: International, Asian, Male

Q: 170 (95%)
M: -

TOEFL Score: Waived

Program Applying: Math Ph.D. (Probability and discrete math)

Research Experience: (Seems weird because I have done in math and econ)
  • Two years of research in dynamical systems (1 working paper & 1 in-progress and presented in AMS sectional meeting and symposium at my own university)
  • One year of independent research in graph theory (1 working paper on arXiv)
  • One year of research in matching theory in economic theory (1 working paper, 1 in-progress, and senior thesis)
  • (Not research but summer experience) PCMI and REU at U. Chicago (1 expository paper on diffusion processes with some new results)
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Three Putnam HMs (Top 40 in the first two years), Three IMO Silver medals, Government Scholarship, 2x best math major at my university, Research fellowship for my work on dynamical systems
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for stochastic processes, combinatorics, and "pre"-analysis classes, Grader for real analysis
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: So far I have finished 7 graduate mathematics courses (Analysis (I,II), ODE, Differentiable Manifolds, Theory of Probability, Stochastic Analysis, and Modern Discrete Probability) and 4 graduate economics courses (Not sure if they are counted lol). Two of my recommendation writers are pretty famous at least in their fields. One of them is my research mentor for my work in dynamical systems, and he said that I am the best student he has ever had.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: At first I thought I would just apply to economics programs, but I just became interested in probability theory after I participated in REU at U. Chicago. So I decided to apply to both Ph.D. programs in mathematics and economics

Applying to Where: (Color use here is welcome) (only math programs)

MIT - Rejected (2/5)
Courant - Rejected (3/17) (Unfunded Masters)
U. Chicago - Accepted! (Unofficial email 12/23; Official letter in the portal 1/8) Declined
CMU (ACO Program) - Accepted (email with the official letter 1/29) Declined
U. Michigan--Ann Arbor - Withdrawn
U. Texas at Austin - Rejected
Duke - Accepted (email 2/11 from DGS) Declined
U. Wisconsin-Madison - Withdrawn

Update
2/11 - I got the offer for the Ph.D. econ program from MIT last week. I guess I will most likely go there.
4/9 - I will attend the Ph.D. econ program at MIT!
Last edited by woeinorwin on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:22 am, edited 16 times in total.

sallysellsseashells

Post by sallysellsseashells » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:03 pm

Undergrad Institution: small/medium private on the east coast
Major(s): Applied Mathematics
Minor(s): Data Science & Analytics, Environmental Science
GPA: Major: 3.98 ; Math Courses: 4.0
Type of Student: Female, White, Domestic

Q: 161 (75%)
W: 4.5 (80%)
(since it wasn't mandatory for a lot of mine because of covid, I only submitted where necessary or to where I thought it would help)
canceled:(

Program Applying: Mostly Applied Math and some Computational Engineering/Mathematics/Biology (interdisciplinary types)

Research Experience: three main research experiences, one in hydrology/environmental engineering, one in mathematical epidemiology, and one in computational mathematics (summer research experience at UT Austin, continued through the semester) - presented at 2 conferences, 2 posters, honors thesis on the way.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: An early math research promise award, graduating with honors in the major (presentation stuff), merit scholarships, stuff like that.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Lead Tutor of the Math Lab at my college (I tutor a whole slew of math courses and manage/train 5 other tutors), President of Math Club, Vice President of Student Chapter of AWM.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I know my letters of recs are top tier. (one of them told me I was like the granddaughter he never had lmao). I asked more than the required amount so I had 4 options from close professors at my college and then 1 was my research supervisor at UT Austin who was super awesome (Since I had more than 3 in my pool I chose which profs to request for each school based one who I thought each grad school would like better). I'm also really into teaching and did a lot during covid to provide online math tutoring. I'm hoping to get TAships.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I've taken basically all of the upperlevel math courses my school has offered and have a 4.0 in math, but it is definitely still probably not as broad in the pure math as some other bigger schools. I also started as an environmental science major so I have all these random science classes which hopefully helps with my applications to the interdisciplinary schools. My research experience also spans a large variety of fields which I definitely focused on in my app. I also emailed professors at almost every school I applied to and basically just said that I thought their research was awesome, looked forward to meeting them in the future, and was excited to submit my app. I got a lot of nice replies saying they would look out for my application (they maybe just replied to assuage fears and depression though LOL)

Applying to Where: (all PhD programs)

Convinced to apply to these
Stanford University (Computational and Mathematical Engineering) - Rejected on 2/5
USC (Computational Biology and Bioinformatics) - 1/13/2021: invited to their interview day which is on Jan 29. Unofficially admitted 2/9!!!! Emailed by POI that the admissions committee is admitting me! Super excited!! 36k fellowship + tuition + health insurance Withdrawn on 3/28
Stony Brook (Applied Mathematics) - 1/29/2021: Officially Admitted! 30k TA-ship + tuition + health insurance stuff! Came a couple weeks after an interview with the GPD! Withdrawn on 2/11

Reach/Dream Schools:
CU Boulder (Applied Mathematics) - Officially admitted 3/8!!! Funding: 24k for 9-month TA-ship appointment, then 9k fellowship award for the first year summer!! ATTENDING!!!! Accepted the offer 3/25!!! So excited for Fall :D :D
UT Austin - Oden Institute (Computational Engineering, Science and Mathematics) - 2/6/2021: Admitted!!!! 35k Fellowship + tuition + health insurance Withdrawn on 3/28
University of Utah (Pure Mathematics) - Admitted with 21k TA-ship on 2/20 Withdrawn on 3/15
UC Davis (Applied Mathematics) - Admitted on 1/25, funding tbd Withdrawn on 2/11

Match:
Colorado School of Mines (Computational and Applied Mathematics) - Admitted, funding tbd Withdrawn on 2/11
Arizona State University (Applied Mathematics) - Admitted 12/16, no funding mentioned Withdrawn on 2/11
University of Arizona (Applied Mathematics) - interview on 1/30 Admitted 2/12! Nominated for the University Fellows Award (32k fellowship), I don't think I got it. Withdrawn on 3/4
Claremont Graduate University (Pure Mathematics) - Admitted on 12/14 over the phone - 1/25 got the official offer from admissions. Withdrawn on 2/11

Will be attending CU Boulder's Applied Math PhD program for the Fall!! If anyone else is thinking about/going to CU, DM me! Good luck to everyone in their decisions.
Last edited by sallysellsseashells on Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:15 am, edited 15 times in total.

Hallauer

Post by Hallauer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:56 am

Undergrad Institution: Top 40 in USA for Math and Overall
Major(s): Math
GPA: 4.00/4.00
Type of Student: Domestic White Male (DWM)

V: 168 (98%)
M: 850 (86%)

TOEFL Score: NA

Program Applying: Math PhD unless noted, focusing on Combinatorics/Algebraic Combinatorics/Theoretical CS depending on school

Research Experience: 2 REUs and 1 Math Internship. Resulted in one paper published in lower-tier journal, one paper on arxiv/under review at average journal (now accepted and published in Spring), final report thing at the internship, and lots of conferences. Continuing to research with prof from one REU.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Top 500 Putnam, Honors in Budapest, Undergraduate scholarship, Normal GPA stuff
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Math TA during senior year, math club, departmental volunteering
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: 7 math grad classes by graduation, 3 fellowship applications
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: My rec letters are from the REUs+internship and I'm confident they say good things. That said, my writers aren't super famous or anything.

Applying to Where:
Reach
MIT - Rejected (2/5)
Stanford - Rejected (2/23)
Princeton - Rejected (2/2)
UC Berkeley - Rejected (1/29)
Cornell - Waitlisted (3/24) (in response to NSF but I think I was already waitlisted before from what they said), Rejected (4/14)

Match
Carnegie Mellon (ACO PhD via Math) - Rejected (3/2), Admitted (3/25) (due to NSF)
Illinois (UIUC) - Admitted, 21k/acad. year TA (2/11)
Georgia Tech (ACO PhD via Math) - Unofficially Admitted (3/24), told I was previously waitlisted and not very likely to be admitted, $5500/year on top of NSF. Rejected on Portal (4/7) (but I assume I am still actually accepted only due to NSF)
UC San Diego (UCSD) - Admitted, 25k/acad. year TA (incl. small fellowship), plus relocation bonus and less teaching first year (2/25), small fellowship still will be awarded even above NSF
Washington (UW) - Waitlisted ("possible, and I hope likely, that we will be able to offer you admission") (2/22) (declined this, so I won't get a result)
Rutgers - Waitlisted ("long" waitlist) (2/19), Unofficially Admitted (3/23), Admitted (3/25)

Safer (not 100% safe)
UC Santa Barbara (UCSB) (CS PhD) - Rejected (4/27)
UC Davis - Rejected (4/15)
Illinois at Chicago (UIC) - Unofficially Admitted (1/29). Told early because I was nominated for a fellowship. Admitted on portal (2/10), 26k/year University Fellowship awarded, no teaching year 1 or 4 (2/26)
Colorado (CU Boulder) - Admitted (2/18), 23k/acad. year TA (2/22)
Northeastern - Admitted (2/24), 26k/year TA (2/25)

Fellowships
NSF GRFP - Awarded (3/23) IM/BI: VG/G, E/VG, E/E
DoD NDSEG - Unofficial Indication of Rejection (2/), Rejected (3/29)
DoE CSGF - Rejected (4/6)

I was lucky enough to get NSF with borderline reviews, perhaps because of my sub-area or more likely just because they curve reviews and there is more to the process. After getting NSF, I sent lots of emails. The highest-ranked schools said that I am still rejected, but I got three new acceptances -- CMU, GT, and Rutgers -- to add to my previous UIUC, UCSD, UIC, Colorado, Northeastern. Never told UCSB or UC Davis about NSF because I no longer was interested in them (plus, it is the wrong subject for UCSB).
Last edited by Hallauer on Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:31 am, edited 14 times in total.

d17gl57

Post by d17gl57 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:47 pm

Undergrad Institution: Pretty good US Private, top 10-20 in math.
Major(s): Mathematics
Minor(s): Could get minor in physics but not sure whether it is worth it.
GPA:3.8-3.9
Type of Student: International boy.

Did not bother.
Would have bothered but, well... Kinda sucks, would have gotten full score.

TOEFL Score: Not required, thanks to undergrad in US.

Program Applying: PhD in pure math. Geometry and Dynamics + Symplectic Geometry. Hope to be able to work on the intersection of the fields.

Research Experience: Not much. Independent study one semester, maybe one more with possible senior thesis. **** Covid, weakest part of my app.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Standard dean stuff, few top 300 scores on Putnam, IMC first prize once, gold in national Olympiad from high school.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutoring in the department for 2 years.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: 7 grad classes for now, could be more. Able to code (internship/etc.). Should be decent letter or two, quite known and respected recommenders.

Applying to Where: All PhD in math.

Pure donations:
MIT Nope
Princeton Nope
Columbia Nope

Donations with a chance for fit:
UC BerkeleyNope
UChicagoNope
Home School Nope
UPenn (Top realistic choice)

Match in terms of stuff I want to do:
UTorontoYup!
Penn State Yup
Northwestern
Stony BrookWaitlist

No real safety schools - if I’m not in, I’ll get a job and actually do something useful.

Good luck y’all!
Last edited by d17gl57 on Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

riemmanmath

Post by riemmanmath » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:06 am

Undergrad Institution: Top 3 UK (Not too hard to guess).
Major(s): Mathematics-3 years. Doing a Master at the same uni.
Grades:Top 10% at my uni. Top 5% in my last year.
Type of Student: International.

N/A
N/A. Thankful that most unis waived it, I hate these kind of tests.
TOEFL Score: Not required, undergrad in UK.

Program Applying: PhD in pure math. Number Theory and Algebraic Geometry.

Research Experience: Two months during summer 2019, published a paper in a low tier journal. However the topic is no longer of my interest.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Got a grant for the above research, standard academic awards at my uni, IMO participation back in high school.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I wrote mini-thesis (Weil Conjectures) last year, and got a 90% grade for it.
My main reference is somewhat well-known (my advisor for the mini-thesis), he was the cohead of the number theory department at my uni. The second reference is a prof at my uni and the grader for said mini-thesis. The last one is a young postdoc (PhD at Harvard under a very famous mathematician) and my current advisor for my master's thesis.

Applying to Where: All PhD in math.

Applications in the US in my perceived order of how hard are they to get in a normal year (for internationals, Berkeley is weird):
Harvard Rejected 03/02
Princeton Rejected 05/02
Stanford Rejected 23/02
UC Berkeley Rejected 29/01
MIT Rejected 29/01
UChicago Rejected 01/03
Columbia Waitlisted 04/03
UMichigan Interview on 03/03 Accepted 17/02

UK applications (this is harder for non-europeans, on in the case of Cambridge, not studying there)
Cambridge Interview on 27/01 Rejected 09/03
LSGNT Interview on 17/02 Accepted 24/03 Attending
Oxford Interview on 11/02 Withdrew
Warwick Accepted 09/03

Rogue application - My advisor is really keen on Peter Scholze
Bonn Rejected 25/01

I prefer US programmes, except for the LSGNT, which is similar to US grad school. No safety school in the US, so I only expect a modest acceptance rate there, but I would be very happy if I get in any of them. Two of the UK ones I would consider them safety. One of them is my current uni and they like to take their own students, the other one is where my recommender is working now, and I am applying to be his student.

Some afterthoughts: In the end everything turned out fine, but I should have applied to a few more in the US. What I learned: UCs barely take any internationals. Of the ones that I applied UChicago probably had the biggest reduction on their intake, so they should go back to normal next year. UMichigan is a great school if you are interested in arithmetic geometry (I would say on top of the ones that I applied UCLA, Boston College and Wisconsin Madison are good options). Cambridge prefers people that are doing their Part III master. If you are interested in a faculy member email them before you apply! I discovered someone was moving when it was too late. I hope this helps people in the coming years, specially UK students, as there are not that many resources for us. Just keep in mind that if you are at Cambridge you always have a somewhat better chance ; ). Feel free to message me, I will occasionaly check the forum.
Last edited by riemmanmath on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:07 am, edited 14 times in total.

lia.lee

Post by lia.lee » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:40 pm

Undergrad Institution: Liberal Arts College
GPA: 3.98 overall 4.00 major
Type of Student: Domestic Asian Female

GRE Revised General Test: N/A
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: N/A

Program Applying: Mathematics/Applied Mathematics

Research Experience: 4 years of undergraduate research in mathematics. Two years of physics research.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: One national scholarship and local scholarships.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutoring in mathematics and TA for class too.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Graduate classes and good letters.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Yale
Harvard
Princeton
MIT - ADMITTED ~ research fellowship for first two years. Full funding.
Cornell
Minnesota
OSU - ADMITTED ~ $21K stipend and summer funding
Washington
Last edited by lia.lee on Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UniformlyDivergent

Post by UniformlyDivergent » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:50 pm

contingent wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:25 pm
I was homeschooled through highschool
Same here! Also relate to the family struggles, perhaps not an uncommon symptom of homeschooling.
I also wrote all of my documents in LaTeX, for style points.
OMG why did I not think of this! Good luck, fellow UCB and UCSB applicant :)
Greetings fellow homeschooler! I definitely feel like it's a trend for sure. I hope you make it into your top pick. If there's anything I can do to help, hit me up.

themathgeek

Post by themathgeek » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:28 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by themathgeek on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

crystal_math

Post by crystal_math » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:42 am

applepi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:11 pm
(quitting due to toxic forum and entitled people)
You're the toxic *** ****. **** you

sean_k

Post by sean_k » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:29 pm

reluctantforumuser wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:04 pm
Undergrad Institution: Private research; top 50
GPA: 3.9x / 4.0, Math GPA: 3.9x / 4.0
Type of Student: Domestic white male

Q: 164 (83%)
V: 163 (92%)
W: 5.0 (92%)

TOEFL Score:
N/A

Program Applying:
Pure Math (Geometry/topology)

Research Experience:
One summer research internship in quantitative finance, nothing to show for it. Junior summer at well-known REU, a few papers still in preparation, but no publications at this point.

Full merit scholarship to university, nominated for Goldwater, junior inductee to Phi Beta Kappa, and some departmental awards.

Graded, tutored (paid and volunteer), and TA’d throughout undergrad. I'm on the executive board of my school's math society.

Took all the first-year core graduate courses and several graduate topics courses and reading courses specifically in geometry/topology. My university isn’t ranked, and the PhD program is relatively new, but it does have a reputation for the strength of its faculty in geometry/topology; I’m hoping this overcomes the general lack of prestige. Expecting strong letters (isn’t that the standard?): the first writer was my REU supervisor; the second I took an undergrad elective with, is advising my senior thesis, and I currently TA and grade for; and the third I took a first-year graduate class and a reading course with. All of them are full professors and pretty well-known in the field.

Applied for the NSF GRFP and a Fulbright, and listed this information when applications asked about fellowships I applied to. Yale’s the only school I’m applying to that requires the general GRE, and I'm not sending the scores elsewhere.

Brown
Caltech
Cambridge Part III
Columbia
Cornell
Duke invited to interview 1/18
Georgia Tech
Harvard
MIT
Princeton
Rice
Stanford
U Chicago
U Michigan
U Penn
UC Berkeley
UC Los Angeles
UC Santa Barbara
UT Austin
Yale
Could you share any detail about the interview invite, e.g. what is it about and who contacted you? Thank you!

reluctantforumuser

Post by reluctantforumuser » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:06 pm

sean_k wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:29 pm

TOEFL Score:
N/A

Program Applying:

Research Experience:
One summer research internship in quantitative finance, nothing to show for it. Junior summer at well-known REU, a few papers still in preparation, but no publications at this point.

Full merit scholarship to university, nominated for Goldwater, junior inductee to Phi Beta Kappa, and some departmental awards.

Graded, tutored (paid and volunteer), and TA’d throughout undergrad. I'm on the executive board of my school's math society.

Took all the first-year core graduate courses and several graduate topics courses and reading courses specifically in geometry/topology. My university isn’t ranked, and the PhD program is relatively new, but it does have a reputation for the strength of its faculty in geometry/topology; I’m hoping this overcomes the general lack of prestige. Expecting strong letters (isn’t that the standard?): the first writer was my REU supervisor; the second I took an undergrad elective with, is advising my senior thesis, and I currently TA and grade for; and the third I took a first-year graduate class and a reading course with. All of them are full professors and pretty well-known in the field.

Applied for the NSF GRFP and a Fulbright, and listed this information when applications asked about fellowships I applied to. Yale’s the only school I’m applying to that requires the general GRE, and I'm not sending the scores elsewhere.

Brown
Caltech
Cambridge Part III
Columbia
Cornell
Georgia Tech
Harvard
MIT
Princeton
Rice
Stanford
U Chicago
U Michigan
U Penn
UC Berkeley
UC Los Angeles
UC Santa Barbara
UT Austin
Yale
Could you share any detail about the interview invite, e.g. what is it about and who contacted you? Thank you!
I was contacted by the director of graduate studies. When I showed up, it was the director, together with the two professors I mentioned in my SOP. They asked me to go over my research from my REU from this past summer (which I reviewed before the interview) and asked me a few questions about it. It was totally casual. The questions were curious rather than quizzing, so felt comfortable replying "I don't know much about that..." After 15 minutes, they asked if I had any questions for them. I had a few prepared, and I asked for grad students I could get in touch with. My hunch is that the adcom was already interested in admitting me based on my online app, that the interview was to screen for sociopathy and/or to recruit, but *I'm inferring* that they're waiting to know their full funding information before making offers. They didn't say anything explicit about an offer, so who knows. Hope that this helps!

blue_math

Post by blue_math » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:26 am

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:06 pm
sean_k wrote:

TOEFL Score:
N/A

Program Applying:

Research Experience:

Brown
Caltech
Cambridge Part III
Columbia
Cornell
Georgia Tech
Harvard
MIT
Princeton
Rice
Stanford
U Chicago
U Michigan
U Penn
UC Berkeley
UC Los Angeles
UC Santa Barbara
UT Austin
Yale
I was contacted by the director of graduate studies. When I showed up, it was the director, together with the two professors I mentioned in my SOP. They asked me to go over my research from my REU from this past summer (which I reviewed before the interview) and asked me a few questions about it. It was totally casual. The questions were curious rather than quizzing, so felt comfortable replying "I don't know much about that..." After 15 minutes, they asked if I had any questions for them. I had a few prepared, and I asked for grad students I could get in touch with. My hunch is that the adcom was already interested in admitting me based on my online app, that the interview was to screen for sociopathy and/or to recruit, but *I'm inferring* that they're waiting to know their full funding information before making offers. They didn't say anything explicit about an offer, so who knows. Hope that this helps!
Any chance they mentioned whether or not they expected to generally send out decisions soon?

reluctantforumuser

Post by reluctantforumuser » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:51 am

blue_math wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:26 am
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:06 pm
sean_k wrote:

Any chance they mentioned whether or not they expected to generally send out decisions soon?
I asked the POI, and they said decisions probably won't come for a few weeks, and that there are still many files for the adcom to look through. I have no idea what the apply/interview/admit ratio is. In any case, my intention with posting here is to provide users of this forum with as much information as possible for their benefit. Usually it would go without saying, but recent posts on here have challenged this basic fact: we are all in the math community together. This field is hard enough already, and absolutely more so for URM and women. The point of this forum is always to help each other out.

solmaffs

Post by solmaffs » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:45 am

Undergrad Institution: Small Public Engineering College, USA
Minor(s): Computer Science
GPA: 3.76/4.0 Undergrad, 4.0/4.0 Masters
Type of Student: Domestic White Female
GRE General & Subject Test: N/A (Taken in undergrad, not submitted with applications)

Program Applying: Pure Math (Combinatorics, Commutative Algebra, Number Theory)

Research Experience: Undergraduate research project (1 paper, 2 conference talks), Master's thesis (in progress)
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Undergraduate research awards, Graduate teaching awards.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Instructor of Record for 3+ semesters, TA and Grader for several others.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Second time through the PhD application cycle... last time I applied to 6 and was rejected from 5, accepted at home institution. Hoping this time goes better! :oops:

Applying to Where:
CUNY - Unofficially Admitted (1/29)
Florida - Admitted (2/5) - Admitted after brief interview.
Illinois - UIUC - Waitlisted (2/18) - Withdrawn
Minnesota - Rejected :(
MIT - Rejected
Oregon - Rejected
Penn State - Admitted (2/19) ✨Attending✨
Purdue - Admitted (2/25)
Rutgers - Admitted (1/20)
UGA - Withdrawn
Vanderbilt - Rejected
Virginia - Rejected
Washington - Rejected
Wisconsin - Madison - Rejected

Accepting my offer to Penn State. They ended up giving me a better-than-expected financial package, and are in my top 3 in terms of research fit.
Overall not super surprised with the number of rejections given a shaky past, but very pleased with where I did get in. Good luck to everyone else in your search!
Last edited by solmaffs on Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:11 am, edited 24 times in total.

sean_k

Post by sean_k » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:27 am

anonymousanalyst wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:17 pm
Undergrad Institution: University of California
Major(s): Pure Math
Minor(s): N/A
GPA: 3.8 (Math 3.9)
Type of Student: Domestic (US Citizen) Asian Male

V: 164 (94%)
M: RIP

Program Applying: Pure Math PhD (Geometry)

Research Experience: Two summer projects at home institution (individually with professors). No publications.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Received a highly selective department award (one of three recipients). Math departmental honors. Dean's List every term. Top 500 in Putnam a few times. UC Regents Scholar.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Math teaching experience through local math circle.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Passed the department's graduate qualifying exam after freshman year. Took more grad than undergrad math classes. Graduating with Master's degree.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to Where: (Ordered by deadline since I was too lazy to reorganize)
UChicago (pending 11/27/20)
USC (pending 11/27/20)
Duke (invited to brief interview 1/18)
Stanford (pending 11/27/20)
Harvard (pending 11/27/20)
MIT (pending 11/27/20)
Princeton (pending 11/27/20)
Berkeley (pending 11/27/20)
UCLA (admitted 1/21)
Caltech (pending 11/27/20)
Michigan (pending 11/27/20)
Northwestern (pending 11/27/20)
Yale (pending 11/27/20)
UT Austin (pending 11/27/20)
WashU (pending 11/27/20)
Georgia Tech (pending 11/27/20)
Stony Brook (pending 11/27/20)
Cornell (pending 11/27/20)
NYU (pending 11/27/20)
Boston University (pending 11/27/20)
Rice (pending 11/27/20)
Notre Dame (pending 11/27/20)
UCSD (pending 11/27/20)
Do you mind if I ask how were you notified the decision from UCLA? Has your portal changed?

loewner

Post by loewner » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:16 am

Undergrad Institution: Indian, relatively unknown
Minor(s): Not a minor, but a few courses in CS
GPA: 3.90/4.0 Math GPA: 3.98/4.0
Type of Student: Male, US citizen, but studying in India

Q: 167 (89%)
M: Could not take

TOEFL Score: 114

Program Applying: Mathematics (interested in analysis and applied math)
Research Experience: A few projects, no publications, working on a senior thesis, written a few expository articles on some recent research
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: A few national level honors and scholarships, and deans list type stuff
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for two semesters (Complex Analysis and Differential Geometry), tutor at my university math helpdesk.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I know my recommenders quite well, but am unsure of the quality of the recommendations. They are well connected within India, but not sure about their international recognition. I have not taken any graduate level courses but have taken courses that are of an advanced level offered at my institution such as Measure Theory, Algebraic Topology, Functional Analysis, Fourier Analysis, Operator Theory, Complex Dynamics, Wavelet Analysis, Advanced Algorithms and have studied graduate level Matrix Analysis in depth.

PhD programs:
UC Berkeley - Rejected 29/1
UCLA - Accepted 6/2 (quite surprised)
Yale - Rejected 2/2
NYU -
UT Austin -
UIUC -
Rutgers
Texas A&M
UC Davis
U Minnesota
U Washington
Georgia Tech

Masters

Berlin Mathematical School (Phase 1) - Invited to interview 21/1
Bonn Accepted 26/1
TU Munich
ETH Zurich
Last edited by loewner on Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

CategorifiedCat

Post by CategorifiedCat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:02 pm

Undergrad Institution: Ivy, with math PhD program among top 10
Minor(s): many courses in literature, not counted as a minor due to bureaucracy.
GPA: 3.8
Type of Student: International Asian Female

N/A
N/A

Program Applying: Pure Math PhD

Research Experience: REU two times, have a publication under review and a survey article.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Standard ones ( Dean's list, honors etc.)
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TAed a few times
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Female. Two famous recommenders, one of them is a Fields medalist .
Many grad-level/ research level courses taken. Co-organizing reading group on research-level math.
Statement of Purpose discussing in detail of recent research work in progress.
Pending external funding.

Overall great programs
MIT rejected
Berkeley rejected

Schools good for combinatorics:
UCSD admitted on Feb 26th with fellowship
UC Davis

Schools good for geometric representation theory
UOregon officially admitted early February with fellowship
UWaterloo admitted on Feb 4th with standard funding package *external award pending*
U Toronto

Low match that I thought were safeties
Duke interviewed on Jan 18th rejected mid Feb... I must have bombed that interview. It's a low match anyway.
I was also rejected by a few other low match schools. Won't list them all. I guess moral of the story is to *not* apply to a place when you know it's a low match.

My interest are combinatorics and geometric representation theory, which results in the bifurcation of my school list.
There are places good at both, such as Berkeley and MIT. Unfortunately, I am not good enough for them. There are also a few mathematicians who bridge them pretty well. However, most likely I will need to choose to focus on one side of my interest during my PhD, and maybe work on the other one as a side project.
Last edited by CategorifiedCat on Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.

anonymousanalyst

Post by anonymousanalyst » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:15 pm

sean_k wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:27 am
Do you mind if I ask how were you notified the decision from UCLA? Has your portal changed?
I've edited my post to reflect it better, but I was notified by email from the graduate director (Professor Wilfrid Gangbo); my portal has not changed.

blue_math

Post by blue_math » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:43 pm

CategorifiedCat wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:02 pm
Undergrad Institution: Ivy,( with math PhD program among top 10 )
Minor(s): many courses in literature, not counted as a minor due to bureaucracy.

N/A
N/A

Research Experience: REU two times, have a publication under review and a survey article.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Female. Two famous recommenders, one of them is a Fields medalist .
Many grad-level/ research level courses taken. Co-organizing reading group on research-level math.

Duke interviewed on Jan 18th
UWaterloo unofficially admitted
MIT unofficially rejected on Jan 22ed when I emailed to ask if I am on the shortlist. SAD
Could I ask how your interview went? :smile: Was it formal or informal?

sean_k

Post by sean_k » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:49 pm

CategorifiedCat wrote:
Undergrad Institution: Ivy,( with math PhD program among top 10 )

N/A
N/A

UWaterloo unofficially admitted
MIT unofficially rejected on Jan 22ed when I emailed to ask if I am on the shortlist. SAD
which professor did you contact?

CategorifiedCat

Post by CategorifiedCat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:53 pm

sean_k wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:49 pm
CategorifiedCat wrote:
I contacted their DGS, per UWaterloo's request of wanting to know my chances at more prestigious programs before giving me an offer.

CategorifiedCat

Post by CategorifiedCat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:59 pm

blue_math wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:43 pm
CategorifiedCat wrote:
ne of them is a Fields medalist .

Could I ask how your interview went? :smile: Was it formal or informal?
Just as someone described earlier, we were invited for an interview on the 18th, with time slots to choose later in the week. The interview is 30 mins long. Kind of chill. They asked me about the research I am doing, and asked me a few questions along the way. Then, they asked me to ask more about the program/ school/ teaching etc.

sean_k

Post by sean_k » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:38 pm

CategorifiedCat wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:53 pm
sean_k wrote:
CategorifiedCat wrote:
I contacted their DGS, per UWaterloo's request of wanting to know my chances at more prestigious programs before giving me an offer.
Yeah I mean who is their DGS this year?

SSLyn34

Post by SSLyn34 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:38 am

sean_k wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:38 pm
CategorifiedCat wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:53 pm
sean_k wrote:

Yeah I mean who is their DGS this year?
Curious to know too!

chuuuby

Post by chuuuby » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:22 pm

woeinorwin wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:15 am

• Two years of research in dynamical systems (1 working paper & 1 in-progress and presented in AMS sectional meeting and symposium at my own university)
  • One year of research in matching theory in economic theory (1 working paper, 1 in-progress, and senior thesis)
  • (Not research but summer experience) PCMI and REU at U. Chicago (1 expository paper on diffusion processes with some new results)
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Three Putnam HMs (Top 40 in the first two years), Three IMO Silver medals, Government Scholarship, 2x best math major at my university, Research fellowship for my work on dynamical systems
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for stochastic processes, combinatorics, and "pre"-analysis classes, Grader for real analysis
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: So far I have finished 7 graduate mathematics courses (Analysis (I,II), ODE, Differentiable Manifolds, Theory of Probability, Stochastic Analysis, and Modern Discrete Probability) and 4 graduate economics courses (Not sure if they are counted lol). Two of my recommendation writers are pretty famous at least in their fields. One of them is my research mentor for my work in dynamical systems, and he said that I am the best student he has ever had.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: At first I thought I would just apply to economics programs, but I just became interested in probability theory after I participated in REU at U. Chicago. So I decided to apply to both Ph.D. programs in mathematics and economics

MIT
Courant
U. Chicago - Accepted! (Unofficial email 12/23; Official letter in the portal 1/8)
CMU (ACO Program)
U. Michigan--Ann Arbor
U. Texas at Austin
Duke (Invited to interview 1/22)
U. Wisconsin-Madison

Have you taken the interview yet? If so, would you mind sharing the details and questions in the interview?

woeinorwin

Post by woeinorwin » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:37 pm

chuuuby wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:22 pm
woeinorwin wrote:

MIT
Courant
U. Chicago - Accepted! (Unofficial email 12/23; Official letter in the portal 1/8)
CMU (ACO Program)
U. Michigan--Ann Arbor
U. Texas at Austin
U. Wisconsin-Madison

Have you taken the interview yet? If so, would you mind sharing the details and questions in the interview?
I will have the interview tomorrow. I will let you know again after finishing the interview!

blue_math

Post by blue_math » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:07 am

woeinorwin wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:37 pm
chuuuby wrote:
woeinorwin wrote:

MIT
Courant
CMU (ACO Program)
U. Michigan--Ann Arbor
U. Texas at Austin
U. Wisconsin-Madison

I will have the interview tomorrow. I will let you know again after finishing the interview!
Good luck! :D

chuuuby

Post by chuuuby » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:15 pm

woeinorwin wrote:
chuuuby wrote:
woeinorwin wrote:

MIT
Courant
CMU (ACO Program)
U. Michigan--Ann Arbor
U. Texas at Austin
U. Wisconsin-Madison

Thank you! Would appreciate any updates!

woeinorwin

Post by woeinorwin » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:17 pm

chuuuby wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:15 pm
woeinorwin wrote:
chuuuby wrote:

Prof. Durrett interviewed me yesterday. The interview was informal. In the first ten minutes, I was asked to explain my research experience (also what method I used to conclude the result) and my area of interest in probability. After that, we just had some talk about the math program at Duke and how Durham looked like. I would say that the interview was not intense at all. I just got the e-mail from him saying that "We had our admissions meeting (for probability group) today, but we will not be able to make any offers until the end of February. If the number of offers we area allowed to make does not change then you will be admitted. :D :D

sean_k

Post by sean_k » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:25 pm

woeinorwin wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:17 pm
chuuuby wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:15 pm
woeinorwin wrote:

Prof. Durrett interviewed me yesterday. The interview was informal. In the first ten minutes, I was asked to explain my research experience (also what method I used to conclude the result) and my area of interest in probability. After that, we just had some talk about the math program at Duke and how Durham looked like. I would say that the interview was not intense at all. I just got the e-mail from him saying that "We had our admissions meeting (for probability group) today, but we will not be able to make any offers until the end of February. If the number of offers we area allowed to make does not change then you will be admitted. :D :D
Thank you so much for providing these details! Also congratulations on "presumably" getting the offer! By the way, do you prefer Uchicago or Duke?

epsilon.0

Post by epsilon.0 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:29 pm

Undergrad Institution: Large State Flagship School
Minor(s): German, Physics
GPA: 3.3
Type of Student: (Domestic, Male, ME)

Q: xxx (xx%)
V: xxx (xx%)
W: x.x (xx%)
M: xxx (xx%)

TOEFL Score: (xx = Rxx/Lxx/Sxx/Wxx) (if applicable)

Program Applying: (Pure Math, Algebra, Groups of the Lie type (and similar fields))

Research Experience: (Combinatorics Research at University with Professor)
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Tutor)
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: (4 Grad classes)
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Severe Extraneous Circumstances Affecting Fall GPA (graduated in 2 years, so large effect on GPA, 3.8 Before)

Applying to Where:
Davis - Pending
UCSC - Pending
Utah - Unofficially rejected, 1 Feb 2021 :(
Boulder - Pending
Oregon - Rejected, 3 Feb 2021 :(
UMASS - Pending
UVA - Pending
UVT - Pending
Syracuse - Pending
Dartmouth - Pending
Hawaii - Pending
Portland State - Pending
GWU - Pending
WSU - Pending
U New Hampshire - Pending
Maine (MA) - Pending
Last edited by epsilon.0 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dharmeshg

Post by dharmeshg » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:06 am

Undergrad Institution: International one of the top math school in country
GPA: 83% (3.9 per WES)

V: 159 (82%)

Not taken due to COVID

TOEFL Score: (115 = R30/L30/S27/W28)

Program Applying: Pure Math

Research Experience: a couple of Summer schools with lots of math course; REU done in Probability at a top school and expository paper published; and GROW; research on COVID tracking/co-authored a couple of reports

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Internship in a start-up

PhD
CMU - Accepted on 1/30...Super Excited !!
MIT - Rejected by mail (2/5)
Stanford - Rejecte by mail (2/24)
Princeton - Rejected by mail (2/17)
U Chicago - Rejected by mail (3/2)
Northwestern - Pending

Masters - US/Canada
UBC - Accepted on 3/5 with almost full funding RA/TA
UC Irvine - Accepted by mail 03/10 (no funding)
U Penn - Accepted for unfunded masters so politely declined 03/18
John Hopkins - Accepted with very nominal funding will decline 03/22
NYU/Tandon engineering - Rejected by mail on (03/09) as i have a 3 yr undergrad
Mich Ann Arbor - Pending
Wisconsin Madison - Pending

Masters - UK
Warwick - Accepted by mail 02/11 (MaST)
Oxford - OMMS Accepted on 3/22 (no interview)
Cambridge - MAST/Part III - Pending
Imperial. - Pending
Last edited by dharmeshg on Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:31 am, edited 10 times in total.

Taa477

Post by Taa477 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:18 am

elene201 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:24 pm

Couldn't take it.

Research Experience: I did some sort of research every summer. After my first year, I stayed in my college and worked on a problem in fractal geometry. We still haven't submitted it but we will in the next couple of weeks. I'm one of the co-authors. Next summer I was just mainly learning differential geometry. Last summer I did 2 research projects both outside of my home institution. One of the papers is submitted and we will submit the other one somewhat soon. Both of them are on arXiv. I also did a poster presentation and a talk at JMM, but that doesn't seem very important.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: I won most math competitions in our department, had somewhat okay scores at Putnam (usually around 20), I got Highest Honors at Budapest Semester in Mathematics. Before college got an Honorable Mention at IMO, and a Silver Medal at European Girls' Mathematical Olympiad.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I tutored calculus almost every semester. I was a writing associate for abstract algebra (helped students with math writing), and for several semesters I was a TA mostly for Transition to Theoretical Math. I also graded physics homeworks for a semester.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I think I know my professors very well. They seem to like me a lot, and I've worked with them quite a bit. I also don't have any graduate classes, since we don't have any at my school. But I took independent studies whenever there weren't enough math classes offered. I'm graduating with 20-25 math classes above the calculus level.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I think I covered everything.

Dream
Berkeley - Pending
MIT - Pending
NYU - Pending
Duke - Invited for an interview (28.01)
Brown - Pending
UT Austin - Pending

Reach
Johns Hopkins - Pending
Rutgers - Pending
Stony Brook - Pending

Match
University of Washington - Pending
UNC - Pending
UC Irvine - Pending

Safety
Vanderbilt - Pending
NC State - Pending
Temple - Unofficially Accepted (01.23)
Can you please let me know how were you informed about Temple’s decision? If possible

elene201

Post by elene201 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:54 pm

Taa477 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:18 am
elene201 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:24 pm

Couldn't take it.

Dream
Berkeley - Pending
MIT - Pending
NYU - Pending
Duke - Invited for an interview (28.01)
Brown - Pending
UT Austin - Pending

Reach
Johns Hopkins - Pending
Rutgers - Pending
Stony Brook - Pending

Match
University of Washington - Pending
UNC - Pending
UC Irvine - Pending

Safety
Vanderbilt - Pending
NC State - Pending
Temple - Unofficially Accepted (01.23)
Can you please let me know how were you informed about Temple’s decision? If possible
The graduate chair emailed me saying that he's recommending me for the admissions and asked if I was still interested. Next Monday I got an official email from the admissions. The graduate chair said I will have TAship and possibly a fellowship, but not guaranteed. I haven't received any official information about funding though.

chuuuby

Post by chuuuby » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:42 am

woeinorwin wrote:

MIT
Courant
CMU (ACO Program) - Accepted (email with the official letter 1/29)
U. Michigan--Ann Arbor
U. Texas at Austin
Duke - Accepted (Unofficial email 1/30 and the official letter will be sent next week)
U. Wisconsin-Madison
Congratulations!! Would you mind sharing the details on Duke’s unofficial acceptance? As you mentioned in the follow up email of your interview that they wouldn’t send out offers at the end of February, and I also received email from them saying they would not send out official offers till late February... so I’m quite confused here..

Big Model

Post by Big Model » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 pm

Undergrad Institution: Large Public School
GPA: 3.81/4.0
Type of Student: Domestic Asian Male

V: 160 (85%)
M: Covid

Program Applying: Pure Math (something in Logic)

Research Experience: Did an REU in home institution - was more like a reading course though
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Aside from standard dean's lists, top 500 on one of the Putnams
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Graded homework for the Putnam prep class for 1 term
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: 12 grad classes, including A+ in 2 graduate logic classes; overall well-known recommenders, but one of them was legendary in his field and said his letter for me would be "very strong"
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Had a rough freshman year (lots of B's and A-'s), but I think I made up for that in later years.

Applying to Where: All of the programs I applied to were PhD in pure math
UIUC - Rejected Feb 22 via email
UCLA - Admitted Feb 6 via email with funding
Caltech - Rejected Feb 19 via email
UIC - Rejected March 22 via email
Wisconsin, Madison - Rejected Feb 17 via email
Harvard - Rejected Feb 3 via applicant portal
UC Irvine - Rejected Feb 26 via applicant portal
Penn State - Admitted Jan 22 via email with funding
CUNY GC -
Cornell -
Purdue -
Notre Dame - Rejected Feb 26 via applicant portal
CMU - Admitted Jan 29 via email with funding
UConn - Waitlisted Feb 27 via email
Last edited by Big Model on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 10 times in total.

rxu1113

Post by rxu1113 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:49 pm

undergrad Institution: Public University System
Major(s): Chemical Engineering
Major GPA: horrible :( , Math GPA:3.5+
Grad Institution: Public University System
Major(s):Mathematics
GPA: 3.7/4.0
NOPE
COVID

Type of Student: Domestic Asian Male

Program Applying: Pure Math (Dynamical system / PDE)

Research Experience: I had a semester of honor research in fluid dynamics, which extended into a two year-long participation in the lab, a year of senior design in bioprocessing, . Nothing related to mathematics.

Jobs: Not much working experience related to math

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Took graduate course at CUNY graduate Center ended up with As.
strong recommendation letter from well known professor.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:nothing that matters

Applying to Where:(all applications are submitted before January) All PhDs

Safeties:(given my experience in mathematics and poor undergraduate GPA I don't think any school is safe for me):
N/A

reach:
University of Rochester(12/14-pending)
Drexel University(10/24-pending)
Binghamton University(admitted, waiting on funding decision which said to be out in Feb)
University at Buffalo(12/23-pending)
University at Albany(12/14-pending)
Syracuse University12/14-pending
University of Pittsburgh12/14-pending

reach for the sky:
Northeastern University (11/17- rejected 2/10 got an email said there was a decision)
Boston University(10/24- rejected 2/12 via email)
University of Toronto(12/18-pending)

reach for the moon:
Rutgers University(12/18-pending)
NYU & NYU shanghai(12/18-3/1 rejected via portal)
UC Irvine(12/15-pending)
Last edited by rxu1113 on Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:57 pm, edited 12 times in total.

woeinorwin

Post by woeinorwin » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:58 pm

chuuuby wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:42 am
woeinorwin wrote:

MIT
Courant
CMU (ACO Program) - Accepted (email with the official letter 1/29)
U. Michigan--Ann Arbor
U. Texas at Austin
Duke - Accepted (Unofficial email 1/30 and the official letter will be sent next week)
U. Wisconsin-Madison
Congratulations!! Would you mind sharing the details on Duke’s unofficial acceptance? As you mentioned in the follow up email of your interview that they wouldn’t send out offers at the end of February, and I also received email from them saying they would not send out official offers till late February... so I’m quite confused here..
I got the email later saying that it turns out that the offer will likely come at the end of this week. I am not sure what is going on... I will update the status again after this week.

plein_et_fidele

Post by plein_et_fidele » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:41 am

Undergrad Institution: Ivy (known for math)
Minor(s):
GPA: 3.90 out of 4.00 (Math 3.98)
Type of Student: International

TOEFL Score: Not Applicable

Research Experience: Two summer programs at home institution.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nothing that would matter.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Just some grading and tutoring.

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Took 3 grad courses + 4 grad level seminars (3 in AG and 1 in topology)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Three letters from well-known professors.

Applying to Where:
Chicago - Rejected (3/1) via website .
Columbia - Waitlisted (3/4) via website , Rejected (4/15) via website .
Harvard - Rejected (2/3) via website .
Johns Hopkins - Accepted with full funding (2/2) via email, Declined (4/7) .
Michigan - Invited to interview (2/16) via email, Interviewed (3/4), Waitlisted (3/19) via email , Rejected (4/13) via email .
MIT - Rejected (2/5) via email .
Stanford - Waitlisted (2/23) via email, Rejected (4/13) via email .
Stony Brook - Rejected (3/12) via email .
UC Berkeley - Waitlisted (2/2) via email, Accepted with full funding (3/30) via email, Attending (4/13).
UCLA - Waitlisted (3/30) upon inquiry , Ghosted as of 4/15 .
UC Santa Barbara - Accepted with full funding (2/26) via email , Declined (4/7) .
Utah - Accepted with full funding (3/1) via email, Declined (4/7) .
Last edited by plein_et_fidele on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:00 am, edited 39 times in total.

hormander

Post by hormander » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:34 am

plein_et_fidele wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:41 am
Undergrad Institution: US (top 10 in math)
Minor(s):
Type of Student:

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Took 3 grad courses + 4 grad level seminars (3 in AG and 1 in topology)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Three letters from quite well-known professors.

Applying to Where:
Chicago
Columbia
Johns Hopkins - Accepted with funding (2/2)
Michigan
MIT
Stanford
Stony Brook
UC Berkeley - Waitlisted (2/2)
UCLA
UC Santa Barbara
Utah
Could you please share how you received the offer from Johns Hopkins? I wonder if you know when they'll send out most of their offers.

plein_et_fidele

Post by plein_et_fidele » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:50 am

hormander wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:34 am
plein_et_fidele wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:41 am
Undergrad Institution: US (top 10 in math)
Minor(s):
Type of Student:

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Three letters from quite well-known professors.

Applying to Where:
Chicago
Columbia
Johns Hopkins - Accepted with funding (2/2)
Michigan
MIT
Stanford
Stony Brook
UC Berkeley - Waitlisted (2/2)
UCLA
UC Santa Barbara
Utah
Could you please share how you received the offer from Johns Hopkins? I wonder if you know when they'll send out most of their offers.
I received an email with an official letter. Since it didn’t say anything about their admission process, I’m not sure when they’ll send out offers.

Koushiro

Post by Koushiro » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:33 am

This forum has given me help and anxiety, but mostly anxiety, and it should be reciprocal.

Undergrad Institution: Large Top 50 Public School
Major(s): Mathematics & Engineering Mechanics
GPA: 3.96 overall, 4.0 math
Type of Student: International Asian Male

V: 164 (94%)
M: 920 (97%)
TOEFL: Waived

Program Applying: Pure Math PhD unless otherwise stated. My interest is in geometry.

Research Experience: REU at the University of Chicago. Individual research projects with a professor at home university resulted in a paper accepted by a journal. The individual program lasted for more than a year, and I made some key observation in the research. Both of my research projects are in geometry.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: A $1,000 scholarship awarded by my home department for "academic excellence". And all sorts of regular GPA stuff.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I have been a grader for one year until we are rendered useless by the pandemic. Been on executive boards of some student organization.

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I know all three of my letter writers quite well. One is the professor who mentors me in the research. I have taken many graduate and honour courses with the other two professors; I got an “A+” in a majority of my math courses.
And I did not start taking upper-division math courses until junior year, but I will still graduate with seven graduate-level courses (or six, depending on who you ask) and score A+ in six (or five) of them. The other one is some sort of a topic course where I got an A.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Asian parents do not want their kids to become mathematicians, and basically made me apply to the engineering major. So, I graduated in four and a half year; that is the reason I have an mGRE score. I took it with my friends in 2019 before everything went haywire in 2020. I added my math major in my own terms behind their back. (It took long enough to bring them on board, but they agree to my life choices on this one finally.) This is the theme of my personal history statement for those schools that requires it.

“Don’t apply to a school you don’t want to attend just because it is safe.” This is the advice I received from one of my letter writers regarding the school list. So here we go.

Applying to Where:
Pure Donation
MIT (Rejected Feb. 5 as expected)
Harvard (Rejected Feb. 2 via email as expected, "There is a status update in your portal")
At least some hope
Berkeley (Accepted Jan. 29 via email with funding, TA duty) Super excited Attending
Stanford (Rejected Feb. 23 via email. I heard they are only recruiting 10 Ph.D. students this year)
Chicago (Make clear my intention to withdraw via. email Feb. 28th)
Hopefully, reach/match
UCLA (Rejected Feb. 27 via portal)
Stony Brook (Make clear my intention to withdraw via. email Feb. 28th)
Michigan (Make clear my intention to withdraw via. email Feb. 28th)
NYU (Make clear my intention to withdraw via. email Feb. 28th)
Cornell (Make clear my intention to withdraw via. email Feb. 28th)
Northwestern (Make clear my intention to withdraw via. email Feb. 28th)
Abroad
University of Toronto (Master) (Make clear my intention to withdraw Feb. 24th) There is no withdraw botton, weird...
University of British Columbia(Master) (Withdrawn Feb. 8th)
Cambridge (Part III) (Withdrawn Feb. 8th)

I am starting to question why UCB accepted me with all these rejections... I realized that I did not submit my GRE and mGRE score to UCLA, but I don't think it matters quite as much.

RETROSPECTIVES
What I think is important is matching your interests with a faculty's interest. I think that is the reason I got an offer from Berkeley. My research is based on a Berkeley faculty result, and I mention it in my PS.

“Don’t apply to a school you don’t want to attend just because it is safe.”
Last edited by Koushiro on Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 20 times in total.

smolmaffs

Post by smolmaffs » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:02 pm

Undergrad Institution: Medium/large state
Major(s): Mathematics (BA and MA)
GPA: 3.57 / 4.00 for BA, 4.00 / 4.00 for MA
Type of Student: DWM

Q: N/A
V: N/A
W: N/A
M: N/A

Program Applying: Pure Math (with an interest in mathematical biology and computational mathematics)

Research Experience: One REU, a couple of poster sessions at the JMM, and an AMS sectional talk. I've worked on 4 distinct research projects, one of which is in preparation for arxiv.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Outstanding graduate student my second year of MA.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I've been in the math education realm for about 5 years as an SI, tutor, grader and teaching associate (which at my school is instructor of record). I've also been a lecturer during my gap year.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Letter writers have connections to some of the schools I'm applying to. Started my MA during senior year of undergrad, which is cool I guess.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Had a bad run at a math BA program early on in my academic career. Overall it didn't sink my GPA but it does still show up in my record, so I've addressed it wherever I can.

University of Washington - Seattle - Pure Math PhD Rejected (02/26/21)
UC Irvine - Computational, Mathematical and Systems Biology PhD Pending (02/23/21) - I assume rejected due to no interview.
Caltech - Pure Math PhD Rejected (02/19/21)
UC Riverside - Pure Math PhD Pending (02/23/21)
Arizona State - Math Education PhD Admitted (12/30/20), Declined 02/22/21
Oregon - Pure Math PhD (MathBio Emphasis) Rejected (03/09/21)
Hawaii - Manoa - Pure Math PhD Admitted (02/20/21) with guaranteed funding for 5 years!!!
Northern Colorado - Educational Mathematics PhD Admitted (03/04/21) with guaranteed funding for 4 years!! (It's a 4 year program.)
Last edited by smolmaffs on Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PhilippaCoLaS

Post by PhilippaCoLaS » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:57 pm

Undergrad Institution: Decent public + several highly ranked LACS (my transcripts are a hot mess)
Major(s): Mathematics + English literature
GPA: 3.66 (3.67 math)
Type of Student: DWF

Q: 155 (55%) (Tried taking at home and lost a concentration fight with my neighbor's leaf-blower; freaking disaster as I usually test well)
V: 169 (99%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: COVID

Program Applying: Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Biostatistics (PhD and MS)

Research Experience: One-semester of research (pure math area), presented at JMM
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: English lit department prize, lmfao. I'm sure that will impress them.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TAed for a semester
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Female, lots of unrelated work experience? Who knows what they'll make of that.
Any Other Info: For obvious reasons, I only submitted the GRE (general) where it was required (Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt). My research advisor was at least two weeks late submitting recs for every school except UW, and my letters in general will be of the "she showed up and got an A-" variety, so I am not optimistic about this cycle (for this and nineteen other reasons). I applied very close to the deadline for almost all programs, as I tend to edit things to death. I will be very pleased if I just get into a few masters programs. Best of luck to everyone!

PhD programs:
Georgia Tech - Mathematics / Rejected, 4/5/2021
Johns Hopkins - Applied Mathematics / Rejected, 4/5/2021
Vanderbilt - Mathematics / Pending on 2/4/2021
UVA - Mathematics / Rejected, 2/25/2021
UT Knoxville - Mathematics / Emailed me to inquire if I was still interested; told them I wasn't

MS/MA programs:
Georgia Tech - Statistics / Accepted, 4/5/2021
UW Seattle - Applied Mathematics / Admitted to on-campus, fee-based Applied & Computational Math MS, 2/4/2021
Vanderbilt - Biostatistics / Rejected, 4/14/2021
Wake Forest - Statistics / Admitted with TAship covering all tuition + living stipend for two years, 2/25/21
Clemson - Mathematics / Emailed me to inquire if I was still interested; told them I wasn't
Last edited by PhilippaCoLaS on Wed May 26, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

pencilsbreak

Post by pencilsbreak » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:31 pm

Good-Luck everyone!
Last edited by pencilsbreak on Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:34 am, edited 20 times in total.

Taa477

Post by Taa477 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:05 am

Undergrad Institution: The only public school in my country
GPA: 82/100
Type of Student: International, Female

Grad Institution: Top school in the country
GPA: 3.95/4

cancelled

TOEFL Score: 91, W:24/R:17/L:24/S:26

Program Applying: Pure Math, specifically in Abstract Algebra

Research Experience: Only my Master's Thesis
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutored for couple years Paid and TAed a few courses 2 of them are graduate courses
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: 7 graduate courses by the time I graduate all As, and one reading course. 3 recommendation letters from my thesis supervisor ( he mentioned in the letter that I am one of the best students that he had in 10 year), and 2 other letters from professors in which I got A+ and A- in their courses.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I am on a GA fellowship by a decent school in my country.
I only submitted my GRE scores to schools that required it because It was messed up and I was actually experiencing COVID symptoms by the time I was taking the test. I think my Grad GPA should make up for my undergrad's

Applying to Where:

Reach
Rutgers - PhD Math/ Application completed in 12/15/21. 2/10/2021 Rejected after inquiry
Penn State - PhD Math/ Application completed in 12/15/21. 3/5/2021 Rejected

Safe
University of Oklahoma - PhD Math/ Application completed in 1/7/21. Officially admitted on 2/8/2021 with 23500 stipend for 9 months + summer support + tuition waiver( not including fees) + health insurance coverage First acceptance. Super excited Attending :D
University of Iowa - PhD Math/ Application completed in 1/7/21. 4/16/2021 Rejected
University of Missouri - PhD Math/ Application completed in 1/7/21. Waitlisted on 3/19/2021. I declined the offer.
Temple - PhD Math/ Application completed in 1/7/21. Asked on 4/10/2021 if I am still interested and I said No.

I made my choice of universities based on supervisors research interest. I am posting this because this forum helped me in choosing the universities that I applied to, even though a lot of universities do not send admission decisions in one batch. So be patient and know you are qualified and good luck to everyone.

I have worked so hard to get here and I am glad my efforts were appreciated. I'm humbled and thankful to have been provided this opportunity.
Last edited by Taa477 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 21 times in total.