Two questions

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
yyysun

Two questions

Post by yyysun » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi,

I have two questions concerning my application.

First, I got an NP on my differential geometry course because of my personal business. It can not reflect my acdemic ability, also I retook it and got an A, a 100/100 actually. All my other math courses are straight "A"s. However, I know an NP will probably negatively impact my application. Do I need to explain for my NP in my personal statement?

Second, all the GRE tests are turned optional, and GRE subject tests are canceled, but I can still take the GRE general test online. Now I don't know if I should take the test. People are saying that GRE general is not important for a Ph.D. program application. I am not a native speaker, so it will take me a lot of time to get a good grade on verbal/writing. College websites are also saying that "applicants will not be at a disadvantage if they choose not to". But I am afraid that having a GRE general score will make the application look better. Should I spend my time preparing and take the GRE general test?

Thank you all!

pkzrd

Re: Two questions

Post by pkzrd » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 pm

yyysun wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:39 pm
Hi,

I have two questions concerning my application.

First, I got an NP on my differential geometry course because of my personal business. It can not reflect my acdemic ability, also I retook it and got an A, a 100/100 actually. All my other math courses are straight "A"s. However, I know an NP will probably negatively impact my application. Do I need to explain for my NP in my personal statement?

Second, all the GRE tests are turned optional, and GRE subject tests are canceled, but I can still take the GRE general test online. Now I don't know if I should take the test. People are saying that GRE general is not important for a Ph.D. program application. I am not a native speaker, so it will take me a lot of time to get a good grade on verbal/writing. College websites are also saying that "applicants will not be at a disadvantage if they choose not to". But I am afraid that having a GRE general score will make the application look better. Should I spend my time preparing and take the GRE general test?

Thank you all!
Dont worry too much about your differential geometry course grade, an A is still an A. If you want to elaborate it in your essay/statement go ahead.

For the GRE general test, I got a pretty low score too and I am also debating if I should send the score (or to retake it). Don't sweat it! Though if you are applying to a top program you should probably try to get a higher verbal score (i.e. >160) to increase your chances.

Good luck. :D :D