Non-math major to take GRE maths

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
wesleyleung910

Non-math major to take GRE maths

Post by wesleyleung910 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi everyone! It is my first time posting here and the question I want to ask is:

I have only taken cal1-3, diff eqn, linear algebra during my undergraduate course. Is it possible to get a OK GRE maths score (eg. 50th percentile) with just the Princeton review book?

What are some good additional materials should I read to get me prepared for the test?

Thanks a brunch! :) :) :)

temporaryacct

Re: Non-math major to take GRE maths

Post by temporaryacct » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:08 am

Are you talking about the math section of the general GRE or the math subject test?

For the math section of the general GRE, you definitely have enough background.

A large portion of the math subject test is calculus, diff equations and linear algebra, so if you study the Princeton Review book I think 50% is potentially reachable. However, some more proof-based math experience would definitely be helpful. If I may ask, if you are taking the math subject test, why? It's only needed for math graduate programs, but I don't know if it makes sense to apply without any proof-based math experience.

wesleyleung910

Post by wesleyleung910 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 pm

temporaryacct wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:08 am
Are you talking about the math section of the general GRE or the math subject test?

For the math section of the general GRE, you definitely have enough background.

A large portion of the math subject test is calculus, diff equations and linear algebra, so if you study the Princeton Review book I think 50% is potentially reachable. However, some more proof-based math experience would definitely be helpful. If I may ask, if you are taking the math subject test, why? It's only needed for math graduate programs, but I don't know if it makes sense to apply without any proof-based math experience.
Thanks for your reply. I was talking about the subject test. I am planning to do a masters in something like analytics, and so was thinking of taking math GRE test to boost my application. :(

quinquenion

Post by quinquenion » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:22 pm

I have never heard of the math subject GRE being relevant for any grad program except for pure and applied math. If I were on the admissions committee for a masters in analytics, I would probably consider the math subject GRE entirely irrelevant. Perhaps if the program is jointly administered by a math department, there may be professors who understand how to interpret math subject GRE scores, but even then, I think it'd only help if you did particularly well.

Note that this should be taken with a grain of salt, as I'm a math professor, and I've only served on math graduate school admissions committees.