Possible to get into math grad school with mGRE?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
wesleyleung910

Possible to get into math grad school with mGRE?

Post by wesleyleung910 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:44 pm

HI all,

Thanks for reading my post! Just a bit of background of myself, I am a chemistry masters grad and I have been working as a chemist since graduation in July. During my undergrad years I have only taken the equivalent of cal1-3, diff eqn and linear algebra (I studied in an unviersity in the UK). My interest in mathematics grew at that point but I never had the chance to take more maths class since.

So my question is: If I have a decent score in maths GRE, is there any chance I can get into a MS programme in the states, considering the fact that I do not have a math degree? I knew that there are post-bacc programmes for people in my situation. However, I do not want to leave my current job for over 2 years (otherwise my boss cannot keep the role for me), so I consider that my last option.

Any advice will be very much appreciated! :D

defen

Re: Possible to get into math grad school with mGRE?

Post by defen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:05 am

Many lower-ranked schools will conditionally accept you, the condition being completion of core undergraduate courses. This is really hard to pull off in two years - I've seen someone do it, but they were talented and incredibly diligent.