Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
confused.graduate

Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by confused.graduate » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:47 am

For those of you applying or have applied to Rutgers - how do I apply to both New Brunswick and Newark campuses?

Want to have two shots at the price of one :lol:

Diagonal

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Diagonal » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:34 pm

I saw a lot of people mentioning tiers and groups (like 1,2 or top 20, 50). Which ratings do people use to claim that? What are criterions?

mlpwas100

Post by mlpwas100 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:07 pm

The tiers come from the AMS tiers for math graduate programs. I believe that its been a while since its been updated but it generally is still a pretty solid ranking system. The latter refers to the USNews ranking of schools. It's nice in that they broke it down by subjects rather than looking at math departments as a whole.

lokicalvetti

Post by lokicalvetti » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:46 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:47 am
For those of you applying or have applied to Rutgers - how do I apply to both New Brunswick and Newark campuses?

I'm not certain of this but I think that graduate degrees in math are only offered at the New Brunswick campus. Their website seems to verify it. https://grad.admissions.rutgers.edu/GraduateProgram/

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:08 pm

lokicalvetti wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:46 pm
confused.graduate wrote:

I'm not certain of this but I think that graduate degrees in math are only offered at the New Brunswick campus. Their website seems to verify it. https://grad.admissions.rutgers.edu/GraduateProgram/
I think confused.graduate is right. The website states that Rutgers at Newark offers a Ph.D program in mathematical science (instead of mathematics).

See the link - https://sasn.rutgers.edu/academics-admi ... iences-phd

Not sure if he only has to pay one application fee or both though.

nguyen99

Post by nguyen99 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:29 am

I have an interview with UToronto tomorrow, I'm quite anxious and don't know what to expect - does anyone have any experience with the interviewing process?

Thanks.

pizzakun

Post by pizzakun » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:51 am

I recall grad students in my dept said they use interview to gauge english skills for international students especially from asia. Not sure if it is a normal procedure with canadian schools.

Good luck with your interview, and try to relax. :D

I really could use some distractions atm thought of playing cyberpunk and valhalla to pass time

nguyen99

Post by nguyen99 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:50 pm

pizzakun wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:51 am
I recall grad students in my dept said they use interview to gauge english skills for international students especially from asia. Not sure if it is a normal procedure with canadian schools.

I really could use some distractions atm thought of playing cyberpunk and valhalla to pass time
Guess that's all I can do, though I'm considered a domestic applicant for both US and Canandian schools.
Speaking of Cyberpunk I can't find a single ps5 in stock anywhere, nor any rtx3000 or radeon6000 graphics cards. :cry:

pizzakun

Post by pizzakun » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:00 pm

I see my bad

not a huge console fan - i was able to purchase a 3080 evga dual-slot from a local microcenter back in november. though i did lined up outside the store since 1am before opening. maybe try bestbuy or newegg?

applepi

Post by applepi » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:44 am

Is it true that international students are held to a higher standard for graduate admissions in the us? (I'm a Canadian citizen)

applepi

Post by applepi » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:45 am

nguyen99 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:29 am
I have an interview with UToronto tomorrow, I'm quite anxious and don't know what to expect - does anyone have any experience with the interviewing process?

Thanks.
I applied too sometime last month but never got an interview request, at least not yet. Lucky you. Good luck to you sir!

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:23 pm

applepi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:44 am
Is it true that international students are held to a higher standard for graduate admissions in the us? (I'm a Canadian citizen)
Probably I would imagine especially the public schools. There are probably some part of the department funding that can only go to domestic students and I know some fellowship can only go to females or underrepresented minorities.

You likely will have an easier time from Canada instead of other countries especially Asia. Don't overthink too much just apply and see what happens.

nguyen99

Post by nguyen99 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:11 pm

applepi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:45 am
nguyen99 wrote:

Thanks.
I applied too sometime last month but never got an interview request, at least not yet. Lucky you. Good luck to you sir!
Thanks, it went rather well and took a lot less time than I thought.

applepi

Post by applepi » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:54 pm

nguyen99 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:11 pm
applepi wrote:
nguyen99 wrote:

Thanks.
Do you mind sharing what was asked of you during the interview? Did they tell you that you got in or should you be expecting an offer?

applepi

Post by applepi » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:55 pm

pkzrd wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:23 pm
applepi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:44 am
Probably I would imagine especially the public schools. There are probably some part of the department funding that can only go to domestic students and I know some fellowship can only go to females or underrepresented minorities.

You likely will have an easier time from Canada instead of other countries especially Asia. Don't overthink too much just apply and see what happens.
:(

nguyen99

Post by nguyen99 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:29 am

applepi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:54 pm
nguyen99 wrote:
applepi wrote:

Do you mind sharing what was asked of you during the interview? Did they tell you that you got in or should you be expecting an offer?
I remembered that I was asked about the courses that I liked; if I applied for provincial grants; any research that I have done; and what topics that I might like. Nothing super technical, seems more like just a formality. Nothing was said about my decision.

applepi

Post by applepi » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:32 am

nguyen99 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:29 am
applepi wrote:
nguyen99 wrote:

I remembered that I was asked about the courses that I liked; if I applied for provincial grants; any research that I have done; and what topics that I might like. Nothing super technical, seems more like just a formality. Nothing was said about my decision.
Thanks for that information. I hope I'll get an interview and can get into Toronto. I'm not sure if all Toronto admits get interview, there seems to be insufficient data to confirm this.
I didnt go to an american university so I don't really expect to get into schools like cornell michigan and minnesota. Toronto and mcgill seems more realistic for me being canadian and it's a good school and close to home.
Are you from ON?

nguyen99

Post by nguyen99 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:02 pm

applepi wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:32 am
nguyen99 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:29 am
applepi wrote:

Thanks for that information. I hope I'll get an interview and can get into Toronto. I'm not sure if all Toronto admits get interview, there seems to be insufficient data to confirm this.
I didnt go to an american university so I don't really expect to get into schools like cornell michigan and minnesota. Toronto and mcgill seems more realistic for me being canadian and it's a good school and close to home.
Are you from ON?
Born in Vancouver, but lived in AB most of my life except college and 2 year of primary school.

confused.graduate

Post by confused.graduate » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:35 am

pkzrd wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:08 pm
lokicalvetti wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:46 pm
confused.graduate wrote:

I think confused.graduate is right. The website states that Rutgers at Newark offers a Ph.D program in mathematical science (instead of mathematics).

See the link - https://sasn.rutgers.edu/academics-admi ... iences-phd

Not sure if he only has to pay one application fee or both though.
Unfortunately the application fees are separate, I was hoping to get a free application lol. Think the only school with no application fee is CMU.

confused.graduate

Post by confused.graduate » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:02 pm

Is anyone here familiar with Boston College (not Boston University)?

I can't seem to find ranking information anywhere for the school. How strong is their department? Their faculty members look strong.

reluctantforumuser

Post by reluctantforumuser » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:29 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:02 pm

I can't seem to find ranking information anywhere for the school. How strong is their department? Their faculty members look strong.

I think the absence of rankings for Boston College can be attributed to the young age of the program. BC's PhD program is relatively new, and they haven't been graduating PhDs for more than a decade. That being said, they're on an upward trend, and they are very strong in the areas of geometry/topology, number theory, and algebraic geometry. If your research interests are decidedly outside of these three areas, BC is really not a good fit. The senior faculty in these three areas are well-established and well-connected, and the junior faculty are hired out of top graduate and post-doctoral programs. The faculty are very accessible, since the graduate classes are quite small (first year classes might be only 3 students, advanced topics courses no more than a dozen), which could feel close-knit to some and stuffy to others. The program puts a heavy emphasis on undergraduate teaching. Recent PhDs seem to have pretty good placements (I'm just familiar with the geometry/topology group, which regularly sends to Columbia/Princeton, I think algebraic geometry has placed at MIT/Harvard). Due to the program's small size and strength in those three areas, admissions are selective enough that I don't think it would be a 'safety' for most people.

pizzakun

Post by pizzakun » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:34 pm

reluctantforumuser wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:29 pm
confused.graduate wrote:

I think the absence of rankings for Boston College can be attributed to the young age of the program. BC's PhD program is relatively new, and they haven't been graduating PhDs for more than a decade. That being said, they're on an upward trend, and they are very strong in the areas of geometry/topology, number theory, and algebraic geometry. If your research interests are decidedly outside of these three areas, BC is really not a good fit. The senior faculty in these three areas are well-established and well-connected, and the junior faculty are hired out of top graduate and post-doctoral programs. The faculty are very accessible, since the graduate classes are quite small (first year classes might be only 3 students, advanced topics courses no more than a dozen), which could feel close-knit to some and stuffy to others. The program puts a heavy emphasis on undergraduate teaching. Recent PhDs seem to have pretty good placements (I'm just familiar with the geometry/topology group, which regularly sends to Columbia/Princeton, I think algebraic geometry has placed at MIT/Harvard). Due to the program's small size and strength in those three areas, admissions are selective enough that I don't think it would be a 'safety' for most people.
+1 well said
I go to school in the Boston area and have only heard good things about the dept.

confused.graduate

Post by confused.graduate » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:37 pm

confused.graduate wrote:

Do you know how selective is the school? Is it harder to get in than Boston University?

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:11 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:37 pm
confused.graduate wrote:

Do you know how selective is the school? Is it harder to get in than Boston University?
I would look at the profile of people who were accepted from previous years and compare it with your own.

confused.graduate

Post by confused.graduate » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:24 am

Does anyone know if Iowa (the Hawkeyes) has a language requirement?

Their website did not state this at all:
https://math.uiowa.edu/graduate-program ... -fall-2020
https://math.uiowa.edu/graduate-program ... 0-or-later

confused.graduate

Post by confused.graduate » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:04 pm

pkzrd wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:11 pm
confused.graduate wrote:

I would look at the profile of people who were accepted from previous years and compare it with your own.
For those of you who are living or have lived in Boston area - do you think 20k a year is enough?

M2000

Post by M2000 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:01 pm

@confused.graduate In short - yes. There should be plenty of wiggle room assuming your tuition and most fees are waived; and that your health insurances are free or heavily subsidized by the school.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:27 pm

pizzakun wrote:

How was cyberpunk?

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:27 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:04 pm
pkzrd wrote:
confused.graduate wrote:

For those of you who are living or have lived in Boston area - do you think 20k a year is enough?
It probably is but you might have to live near undergrads

pizzakun

Post by pizzakun » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:35 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:27 pm
pizzakun wrote:

How was cyberpunk?
I heard from console players that it's super buggy, though I didn't experience much of the negative experience probably because I game mostly on a PC. It's a good game yes, is it worth 59.99? Imho no.

pizzakun

Post by pizzakun » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:43 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
pkzrd wrote:
confused.graduate wrote:

I currently live in Boston and my rent plus utilities is roughly 700-800 a month (with 2 other roommates). With 20k a year (assuming 16k after tax and 6k after housing), there should be enough remain for groceries and miscellaneous expenses. Having a car is convenient at times, especially now but I don't think it's necessary.

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:55 am

A couple of acceptances from Ohio State. I submitted my application quite close to the Dec.10 deadline and my letter writers submitted their LORs on 23rd Dec. I hope they didn't just toss out my application :(

nguyen99

Post by nguyen99 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:20 pm

yaskhn3 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:55 am
A couple of acceptances from Ohio State. I submitted my application quite close to the Dec.10 deadline and my letter writers submitted their LORs on 23rd Dec. I hope they didn't just toss out my application :(
same here I submitted mine in November but my letter writers submitted theirs yesterday. I know my department won't read applications until the deadline's over, at least according to my academic advisor. so it's probably safe to assume that they are still working on the hundreds of applications that they received.

confused.graduate

Post by confused.graduate » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:28 pm

M2000 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:01 pm
@confused.graduate In short - yes. There should be plenty of wiggle room assuming your tuition and most fees are waived; and that your health insurances are free or heavily subsidized by the school.
Cyclicduck wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:27 pm
confused.graduate wrote:
pkzrd wrote:

It probably is but you might have to live near undergrads
pizzakun wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:43 pm
confused.graduate wrote:
pkzrd wrote:

I currently live in Boston and my rent plus utilities is roughly 700-800 a month (with 2 other roommates). With 20k a year (assuming 16k after tax and 6k after housing), there should be enough remain for groceries and miscellaneous expenses. Having a car is convenient at times, especially now but I don't think it's necessary.
Thanks. Guess I'll apply to BC and Brandeis.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:13 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:24 am
Does anyone know if Iowa (the Hawkeyes) has a language requirement?

Their website did not state this at all:
https://math.uiowa.edu/graduate-program ... -fall-2020
https://math.uiowa.edu/graduate-program ... 0-or-later
I know someone that went to Iowa and apparently the foreign language requirement is still there. According to your profile you are also a French major so you should probably be fine with most schools that requires this.

sophus

Post by sophus » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:53 am

Do you know whether University of Chicago has sent out any offers? There are two on TheGradCafe who claim to have received one – do you know whether they are fake or not?

lebesgueboy98

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:51 pm

sophus wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:53 am
Do you know whether University of Chicago has sent out any offers? There are two on TheGradCafe who claim to have received one – do you know whether they are fake or not?
Are people really posting "fake" offers? Who the heck are they trying to fool, that'd be strange. I have no idea if U-Chicago has sent any offers, if they have, it probably is unofficial I guess, it seems really early. Not sure though.

kahdk

Post by kahdk » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:35 pm

lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:51 pm
sophus wrote:
Are people really posting "fake" offers? Who the heck are they trying to fool, that'd be strange. I have no idea if U-Chicago has sent any offers, if they have, it probably is unofficial I guess, it seems really early. Not sure though.
UChicago's deadline is Dec.1st, which is pretty early. So i do think those offers are real, but unofficial most probably.

applepi

Post by applepi » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:42 pm

kahdk wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:35 pm
lebesgueboy98 wrote:
sophus wrote:
UChicago's deadline is Dec.1st, which is pretty early. So i do think those offers are real, but unofficial most probably.
Well I know this person is definitely a troll - I know multiple people that are PHD students at Harvard and they said no offers were sent out as of today and the department has yet to evaluate applications.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5454#p24630

This guy literally registered 8 minutes before he or she made the first post. I wonder how many of the posts in this thread are trolls. What the heck is wrong with this people, I guess psychopaths needs to burn time one way or another lol.

kahdk

Post by kahdk » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:09 pm

applepi wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:42 pm
kahdk wrote:
lebesgueboy98 wrote:

Well I know this person is definitely a troll - I know multiple people that are PHD students at Harvard and they said no offers were sent out as of today and the department has yet to evaluate applications.

This guy literally registered 8 minutes before he or she made the first post. I wonder how many of the posts in this thread are trolls. What the heck is wrong with this people, I guess psychopaths needs to burn time one way or another lol.
This one is sus indeed. 8 published papers and Nobel Prize winner Lor for math Ph.D. is really weird.

lebesgueboy98

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:01 am

kahdk wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:09 pm
applepi wrote:
kahdk wrote:

This one is sus indeed. 8 published papers and Nobel Prize winner Lor for math Ph.D. is really weird.
Geez, what the heck. I just don't get what makes people want to spend their time faking a profile like that. Trolls do exist, and I think you're right, that sounds like a fake one. So nobody got into Harvard today? I was wondering about that.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:45 am

lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:01 am
kahdk wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:09 pm
applepi wrote:

Geez, what the heck. I just don't get what makes people want to spend their time faking a profile like that. Trolls do exist, and I think you're right, that sounds like a fake one. So nobody got into Harvard today? I was wondering about that.
I agree - I go to a school close by to Harvard and have friends at their math department. I think I would have heard something by now if acceptances started to roll out.

Some of the entries do indeed look suspicious. Guess we will just have to use common sense to distinguish which ones are real.

Nobel prize did they mean fields medal? lol

pizzakun

Post by pizzakun » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:40 pm

pkzrd wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:45 am
I would say having a letter written by a famous mathematician won't help your application unless it is a good one.

A letter from Carl Gauss himself will not help you get in any school if his letter says "this guy shows up on time for classes and did well."

confused.graduate

Post by confused.graduate » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:34 pm

pizzakun wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:40 pm
pkzrd wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:45 am
I would say having a letter written by a famous mathematician won't help your application unless it is a good one.

A letter from Carl Gauss himself will not help you get in any school if his letter says "this guy shows up on time for classes and did well."
LOL

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:41 am

applepi wrote:
kahdk wrote:
lebesgueboy98 wrote:

Thank you! I knew that guy was a troll. '8 papers in journals across the world' ? Seriously? Its a clear troll attempt.

yyysun

Post by yyysun » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:51 am

Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:41 am
applepi wrote:
kahdk wrote:

Thank you! I knew that guy was a troll. '8 papers in journals across the world' ? Seriously? Its a clear troll attempt.
:? I know Ashwin Sah published 10+ papers (one Inventiones) in his two undergradute years.
http://www.mit.edu/~asah/index.html

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:06 am

yyysun wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:51 am
Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:41 am
applepi wrote:

:? I know Ashwin Sah published 10+ papers (one Inventiones) in his two undergradute years.
http://www.mit.edu/~asah/index.html
Wow!! Just checked this guy out. He's truly a beast! But I still believe that the guy who posted here was a troll. If he did indeed publish 8 papers, with a favorable letter from a Nobel Prize winner/Fields medalist, he would probably receive a direct admit from schools like Harvard and MIT, like Ashwin. He wouldn't be posting here, like normal people.

woeinorwin

Post by woeinorwin » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:59 pm

lebesgueboy98 wrote:
sophus wrote:
Hi! I am the one who posted on GradCafe that I received an offer from University of Chicago on Dec 24. To be honest, I was really surprised how early the decision is released though.

dharmeshg

Post by dharmeshg » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:56 am

what's the thread on gradcafe? thanks,

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:26 am

woeinorwin wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:59 pm
lebesgueboy98 wrote:
sophus wrote:
Hi! I am the one who posted on GradCafe that I received an offer from University of Chicago on Dec 24. To be honest, I was really surprised how early the decision is released though.
Congrats!!. Just out of curiosity- Did you get an email from Prof. Emerton and the committee asking you to check the portal, or was it a direct acceptance by email? Also, if you don't mind me asking, who is the chair of the admissions committee? I appreciate your help.