Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
blue_math

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by blue_math » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:04 pm

yaskhn3 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:34 pm
2 people waitlisted from MIT on Gradcafe. Guess I'll wait for my rejection this Valentine's then
You never know!! It still isn't over, don't give up :D

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:08 pm

pizzakun wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:18 pm
pkzrd wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:00 am
Schauder wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:05 pm
When I got in last year, I was emailed directly by the graduate chair. It took like a month for my portal to update to admitted status.

Thanks for letting us know!

(and no, I didn't stay up all night hitting F5)
Check your email and spam, portal didn't change at all
EDIT: private message
(cannot delete this post for some reason)
Last edited by pkzrd on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

confused.graduate

Post by confused.graduate » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:13 pm

pizzakun wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:01 pm
pkzrd wrote:
Schauder wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:05 pm
When I got in last year, I was emailed directly by the graduate chair. It took like a month for my portal to update to admitted status.

Mine is showing numbers too now. I wonder if this is an indication our application decisions are being entered/processed.
what numbers? mine still says submitted aka pending

applepi

Post by applepi » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:18 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:13 pm
pizzakun wrote:
pkzrd wrote:

Mine is showing numbers too now. I wonder if this is an indication our application decisions are being entered/processed.
Come on do you honestly expect to get in to UCLA with your stats? I know that "[being] female (under-represented minority) definitely helps [your] application" but this is very above your pay grade don't you think?

Even if you do get in do you honestly think you can survive? The profile of people that have gotten in is like a tier above yours. Be realistic dude

confused.graduate

Post by confused.graduate » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:21 pm

applepi wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:18 pm
confused.graduate wrote:
pizzakun wrote:

Come on do you honestly expect to get in to UCLA with your stats? I know that "[being] female (under-represented minority) definitely helps [your] application" but this is very above your pay grade don't you think?

Even if you do get in do you honestly think you can survive? The profile of people that have gotten in is like a tier above yours. Be realistic dude
That's just rude and sexist. You can't deny my right to at least give it a try can you?

applepi

Post by applepi » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:32 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:21 pm
applepi wrote:
confused.graduate wrote:

That's just rude and sexist. You can't deny my right to at least give it a try can you?
Look, take it anyway you want but the undeniable truth is that your kind have a way easier time with graduate admissions or even future academic employment opportunities. But at the end of the day, you still need to know the material and able to produce research results, and based on your profile, you are nowhere close to being sufficiently prepared for any tier 1 (or even arguable tier 2) programs. Having merely 2 semesters of algebra and analysis in simply insufficient or modest at best.

Catalan

Post by Catalan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:35 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
applepi wrote:
confused.graduate wrote:

@confused.graduate You have every right to apply to UCLA and "stats" aren't necessarily indicative of your actual mathematical ability. General GRE is obviously irrelevant and there are many factors that can influence your GPA. Assholes like applepi are part of the reason so many women drop out of math PhDs. I wish you the best and I hope you get in somewhere good. Try to prove them wrong.

phdapplicant100

Post by phdapplicant100 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:37 pm

luigi2yoshi wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:54 pm
phdapplicant100 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:49 am
Has anyone heard back from Rensselaer yet? I have heard of them sending in admits really early in the past few years.
not yet
Thanks! :)

applepi

Post by applepi » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:41 pm

Catalan wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:35 pm
confused.graduate wrote:
applepi wrote:

@confused.graduate You have every right to apply to UCLA and "stats" aren't necessarily indicative of your actual mathematical ability. General GRE is obviously irrelevant and there are many factors that can influence your GPA. Assholes like applepi are part of the reason so many women drop out of math PhDs. I wish you the best and I hope you get in somewhere good. Try to prove them wrong.
Oh yeah? I won't apologize for speaking the obvious truth or failing to sugarcoat things for you.

Look at the UCLA basic examination syllabus, I doubt confused.graduate can even answer a single question right, or can even recognize any of the concepts. But I am more than willing to bet that most people that got admitted to UCLA can pass the basic exam if not the qualifying exam with ease. Hell, even someone like me from a lesser institution (compared to Ivies) in Canada can answer most questions if not pass the basic exam without much difficulty.

https://www.math.ucla.edu/grad/handbook/quals

Catalan

Post by Catalan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:53 pm

applepi wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:41 pm
Catalan wrote:
confused.graduate wrote:

Oh yeah? I won't apologize for speaking the obvious truth or failing to sugarcoat things for you.

Look at the UCLA basic examination syllabus, I doubt confused.graduate can even answer a single question right, or can even recognize any of the concepts. But I am more than willing to bet that most people that got admitted to UCLA can pass the basic exam if not the qualifying exam with ease. Hell, even someone like me from a lesser institution (compared to Ivies) in Canada can answer most questions if not pass the basic exam without much difficulty.

No one is expected to be able to pass their quals before they start grad school, thats part of why you take classes.

Does being a rude to women online make you feel good? I don't understand what you gain by discouraging people from applying to places and adding to people's impostor syndrome. You don't know her story, you don't know what opportunities she did or didn't have. Not everyone starts from the same place and you can't judge someone's mathematical ability based on an online post.

I understand you're probably bitter thinking that your spot at schools might be taken by a woman when you're equally qualified, but would you really rather be in grad school with only men? Do you think that would be a good environment? If they didn't accept extra women, it would create an environment so unwelcoming to women that practically NO woman no matter how qualified would want to go to graduate school for math. This would waste nearly half the mathematical potential out there. You have to understand that accepting women who appear to have "worse stats" is the only way to make an environment where qualified women could go to graduate school in a reasonable environment.

applepi

Post by applepi » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:00 am

Catalan wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:53 pm
applepi wrote:
Catalan wrote:

No one is expected to be able to pass their quals before they start grad school, thats part of why you take classes.

Does being a rude to women online make you feel good? I don't understand what you gain by discouraging people from applying to places and adding to people's impostor syndrome. You don't know her story, you don't know what opportunities she did or didn't have. Not everyone starts from the same place and you can't judge someone's mathematical ability based on an online post.

I understand you're probably bitter thinking that your spot at schools might be taken by a woman when you're equally qualified, but would you really rather be in grad school with only men? Do you think that would be a good environment? If they didn't accept extra women, it would create an environment so unwelcoming to women that practically NO woman no matter how qualified would want to go to graduate school for math. This would waste nearly half the mathematical potential out there. You have to understand that accepting women who appear to have "worse stats" is the only way to make an environment where qualified women could go to graduate school in a reasonable environment.
I am not being rude I am simply being blunt and truthful.

I know a good environment is where everyone got where they deserve based on their merits not looks/race/gender/other factors. If the admission standard is different for different groups of people it creates bitterness and stereotyping. Have you ever questioned why guys thinks that women are just not as good scientists/mathematicians as men? Why do people automatically assume that international graduate students are smarter? It's because of the double standard, if everyone is treated equally without consideration of other factors this would never have occured.

And on the "other half of the mathematical potential out there." Okay I acknowledge the fact that the world is composed of roughly 50-50 men and women. But please don't lie right to my face say that out of the entire 100% of population who is interested to become mathematicians or scientists, 50% are women. That's just preposterous. Based on the same logic doesn't that means 50% of nursing students should be male?

lebesgueboy98

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:09 am

applepi wrote:
confused.graduate wrote:
pizzakun wrote:

You’re a ****. **** you.

Catalan

Post by Catalan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:10 am

applepi wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:00 am
Catalan wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:53 pm
applepi wrote:

I am not being rude I am simply being blunt and truthful.

I know a good environment is where everyone got where they deserve based on their merits not looks/race/gender/other factors. If the admission standard is different for different groups of people it creates bitterness and stereotyping. Have you ever questioned why guys thinks that women are just not as good scientists/mathematicians as men? Why do people automatically assume that international graduate students are smarter? It's because of the double standard, if everyone is treated equally without consideration of other factors this would never have occured.

And on the "other half of the mathematical potential out there." Okay I acknowledge the fact that the world is composed of roughly 50-50 men and women. But please don't lie right to my face say that out of the entire 100% of population who is interested to become mathematicians or scientists, 50% are women. That's just preposterous. Based on the same logic doesn't that means 50% of nursing students should be male?
I said "mathematical potential" which refers to people who under the right circumstances could become productive mathematicians. Yes, I believe that if all environmental factors were equal (including subliminal messaging, bias in early schooling) then there would be as many good female mathematicians as male.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:11 am

Please stop arguing - this controversy has been extensively debated among academics, that's why some departments discriminate against non-URM and some don't. You guys are welcome to hold your own opinions but this isn't street fighters forum edition, please just stop and keep the forum clean.

phdapplicant100

Post by phdapplicant100 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:23 am

pkzrd wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:11 am
Please stop arguing - this controversy has been extensively debated among academics, that's why some departments discriminate against non-URM and some don't. You guys are welcome to hold your own opinions but this isn't street fighters forum edition, please just stop and keep the forum clean.
If applepi holds such regressive opinions regarding women and their mathematical skills, it is really unfair to label it just as another "argument". A lot of us plan to join academia, and it is scary that people like him could end up as faculty in a decision-making position. He has made multiple incendiary comments about the same subject so the only person who needs to stop is him.

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:30 pm

Has anyone heard back from Rutgers or UIUC? Gradcafe shows one acceptance at both of them, but that could be dubious.

Catalan

Post by Catalan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:36 pm

yaskhn3 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:30 pm
Has anyone heard back from Rutgers or UIUC? Gradcafe shows one acceptance at both of them, but that could be dubious.
My housemate just got into Rutgers, so I think that one is legit.

Ahmadreza

Post by Ahmadreza » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:22 pm

Did anyone get a rejection from U Chicago so far? :?:

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:33 pm

Did anyone get in UIUC from here? There's just one post on Gradcafe

solmaffs

Post by solmaffs » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:46 am

yaskhn3 wrote:
Accepted on Wed -- the Rutgers post is legit.

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:34 am

I don't know how helpful or relevant this is, but everyone who got into MIT, UCLA, and UIUC is domestic. So, internationals, hang in there. :)

CategorifiedCat

Post by CategorifiedCat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:12 pm

solmaffs wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:46 am
yaskhn3 wrote:
I had a missed transcript in my Rutgers application, and was only informed of this on Jan 20th, so I assume they haven't looked through everything.

solmaffs

Post by solmaffs » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:51 pm

CategorifiedCat wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:12 pm
solmaffs wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:46 am
yaskhn3 wrote:
I had a missed transcript in my Rutgers application, and was only informed of this on Jan 20th, so I assume they haven't looked through everything.
Almost certainly. My (more qualified) peers haven't heard back from them yet either, so I'm assuming they're just starting to look through.

AnatolyBabakov

Post by AnatolyBabakov » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:06 pm

Have any of you heard back from northeastern yet! Their deadline was sometime in December, not a peep since then.

crystal_math

Post by crystal_math » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:09 pm

It seems that Penn State has released decisions, anyone heard back from this forum?

5IsTheLargestInteger

Post by 5IsTheLargestInteger » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:24 pm

crystal_math wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:09 pm
It seems that Penn State has released decisions, anyone heard back from this forum?
I heard back from Penn State. I got a direct email from the two directors of the grad program. If anyone has any questions feel free to dm.

emmynoether126

Post by emmynoether126 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:49 pm

crystal_math wrote:
I heard back from Penn State. I got an email from the two directors of the graduate program and info about the program.

solmaffs

Post by solmaffs » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:49 pm

guess who only had two of the recommenders submit to Penn State :oops:

it's fixed now but hopefully they consider my app... one of my top two schools

jjmb11

Post by jjmb11 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:59 pm

crystal_math wrote:
Do you know if they released any rejections? I haven't heard anything yet, a little nervous

crystal_math

Post by crystal_math » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:24 pm

jjmb11 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:59 pm
crystal_math wrote:
Do you know if they released any rejections? I haven't heard anything yet, a little nervous
My guess from past cycles is that the offers are made in a staggered fashion so hard to say. There's also the possibility of a second round.

crystal_math

Post by crystal_math » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:46 pm

It's weird that everyone posting on gradcafe for Penn is American. Does that mean they are evaluating Internationals separately? I am not aware of schools adopting such practices
Last edited by crystal_math on Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:00 am

crystal_math wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:46 pm
It's weird that everyone posting on gradcafe for Penn is American. Does that they doing Internationals separately? I am not aware of schools adopting such practices
Well, MIT, UCLA, and a couple of universities who have made offers so far have done it to only domestic applicants. So, yes, there's a good chance they will do Internationals later.

confused.graduate

Post by confused.graduate » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:38 am

yaskhn3 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:00 am
crystal_math wrote:
It's weird that everyone posting on gradcafe for Penn is American. Does that they doing Internationals separately? I am not aware of schools adopting such practices
Well, MIT, UCLA, and a couple of universities who have made offers so far have done it to only domestic applicants. So, yes, there's a good chance they will do Internationals later.
there are a couple ucla and mit acceptances from international students at gradcafe and this forum

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:15 am

confused.graduate wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:38 am
yaskhn3 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:00 am
crystal_math wrote:
there are a couple ucla and mit acceptances from international students at gradcafe and this forum
Well in all fairness those people are infact Internationals, but they did their undergrad in the US. I'd be surprised if all of these schools didn't accept a single student outside of the US. Maybe I'm just giving myself some hope this way. Let's see

yso6

Post by yso6 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:07 pm

yaskhn3 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:33 pm
I'm a PhD student at UIUC and my advisor is still reviewing application profiles. It's possible (though not likely) that some offers have been sent out but I don't think that's considered the first round of offers. No need to worry for now!

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:23 am

yso6 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:07 pm
yaskhn3 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:33 pm
I'm a PhD student at UIUC and my advisor is still reviewing application profiles. It's possible (though not likely) that some offers have been sent out but I don't think that's considered the first round of offers. No need to worry for now!
That's such a relief. Thank you. :)

blue_math

Post by blue_math » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:05 pm

Someone posted on GradCafe about an unofficial Northwestern rejection -- anyone else know anything about that?

user_4

Post by user_4 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:28 am

Did anyone apply to the Paris Graduate School of Mathematical Sciences Master's Fellowship (commonly known as PGSM Master's Fellowship, offered by Fondation Sciences Mathématiques de Paris) recently? If there is anyone who has applied please let me know.

pietropic

Post by pietropic » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:32 am

user_4 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:28 am
Did anyone apply to the Paris Graduate School of Mathematical Sciences Master's Fellowship (commonly known as PGSM Master's Fellowship, offered by Fondation Sciences Mathématiques de Paris) recently? If there is anyone who has applied please let me know.
Yep

ElGueroJardinero

Post by ElGueroJardinero » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:46 am

d
Last edited by ElGueroJardinero on Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

user_4

Post by user_4 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:05 pm

pietropic wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:32 am
user_4 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:28 am
Yep
I am new to this forum, and I tried to send you a private message. But I am not sure if you have received it. Do you know, if the chosen master program's selection committee has anything to do with selecting the laureates of the Fellowship?

Ahmadreza

Post by Ahmadreza » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:57 pm

My application status for Bonn's master's in mathematics program says that decision made. What does this mean? Am I admitted or rejected?

blue_math

Post by blue_math » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:55 pm

Someone posted on GradCafe about a UW acceptance -- did anyone else hear anything back?

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:00 am

Have anyone or (someone you know) gotten waitlisted by UChicago and accepted later? Their tone sounded like "there's hope for you yet, but just a little and don't count on it"

solmaffs

Post by solmaffs » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:01 am

blue_math wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:55 pm
Someone posted on GradCafe about a UW acceptance -- did anyone else hear anything back?
Nothing here. I'd be hesitant to trust it or consider it as part of a first wave of offers, though. It's been a topic of discussion on that board for a couple days so there's a chance it's just someone posting to be a jerk.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:12 am

blue_math wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:55 pm
I know two people got in since last friday, and I'm almost certain they are both domestic.

AnatolyBabakov

Post by AnatolyBabakov » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:40 am

Someone posted bout UC Davis too recently. Did anyone hear anything from this place?

blue_math

Post by blue_math » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:50 am

AnatolyBabakov wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:40 am
Someone posted bout UC Davis too recently. Did anyone hear anything from this place?
No, but I feel like maybe it's too early? Seems like it was unofficial :)

AnatolyBabakov

Post by AnatolyBabakov » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:06 am

blue_math wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:50 am
AnatolyBabakov wrote:
Might not be actually. Last year all the offers went through by the end of January ( according to gradcafe) hence the cold sweat.

phdapplicant100

Post by phdapplicant100 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:45 am

AnatolyBabakov wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:06 am
blue_math wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:50 am
AnatolyBabakov wrote:
Might not be actually. Last year all the offers went through by the end of January ( according to gradcafe) hence the cold sweat.
One more person has posted and I am also panicking here a little bit. If there are no further rounds of offers, then this might be the end of the lane with this university.