Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Post Reply
crystal_math
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by crystal_math » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:08 pm

blue_math wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:57 pm
crystal_math wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:15 pm
Ahmadreza wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:45 pm
I got scared after my rejection from UC Berkeley. The rejection email stated that they had so many applications for this year, 800 applicants for a class size of 30. I guess they usually had 490 applicants for a class size of 41. Will this tragedy reoccur for other universities. I really hope to get into Texas at Austin. How competitive is it compared to UC Berkeley?
Yeah this is scary!
Don't worry! I think it won't be quite as hectic for other universities. Because there was no mGRE this year, this encouraged many more people to apply to more competitive universities than otherwise, since the mGRE was the unfortunate determinant of eligibility to apply to many of those sorts of places. I feel like the top 10 schools were overwhelmed with applications this year, but other schools have much more reasonable numbers of applicants.
Yeah, that makes sense and I hope that is the case too

Ahmadreza
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Ahmadreza » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:10 pm

crystal_math wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:08 pm
blue_math wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:57 pm
crystal_math wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:15 pm


Yeah this is scary!
Don't worry! I think it won't be quite as hectic for other universities. Because there was no mGRE this year, this encouraged many more people to apply to more competitive universities than otherwise, since the mGRE was the unfortunate determinant of eligibility to apply to many of those sorts of places. I feel like the top 10 schools were overwhelmed with applications this year, but other schools have much more reasonable numbers of applicants.
Yeah, that makes sense and I hope that is the case too
Such a relief!! :D

bannanagamma
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:54 pm

Re: Georgia Tech

Post by bannanagamma » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:59 pm

sumthin wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:38 pm
Has anyone heard anything from Georgia Tech? From what I have seen they usually send out first round close the January 15, but I haven't seen anything yet.
Also curious about this. And UCSD, tho that was also asked a while ago.

yaskhn3
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:24 am

Does anyone have any idea when UIUC or UCSD might start sending out offers?

pkzrd
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by pkzrd » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:01 pm

I poked Princeton and was informed decisions will start to come out this week - not sure if it means acceptances only or else.

Thought I'll pass it along.

sophus
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:49 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by sophus » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:45 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Stanford?

yaskhn3
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:52 pm

Just received informal acceptance to TAMU (I'm an international) via email

UniformlyDivergent
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:32 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by UniformlyDivergent » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:01 pm

I think UCB was early to the game this year. I have pending apps to several of the UC schools, and UIUC. Still waiting on all of those except Cal Berkeley. Good luck, folks.

Edits: Bad wording/spelling
Last edited by UniformlyDivergent on Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lebesgueboy98
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:15 pm

yaskhn3 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:52 pm
Just received informal acceptance to TAMU (I'm an international) via email
I just heard from them as well! Congrats :D

confused.graduate
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:26 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by confused.graduate » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:27 pm

What's the rule of thumb when it comes to declining offers? Should we wait 3-5 days before doing so or asap when we know for sure we are not going?

I feel like it's awkward to decline an offer from schools (especially where you cannot accept/decline offers on an online portal).

Should I call them or send a long email? My advisor only told me to have at least 2 offers in my hand but never advised me on how to decline offers... :(

blue_math
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by blue_math » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:04 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:27 pm
What's the rule of thumb when it comes to declining offers? Should we wait 3-5 days before doing so or asap when we know for sure we are not going?

I feel like it's awkward to decline an offer from schools (especially where you cannot accept/decline offers on an online portal).

Should I call them or send a long email? My advisor only told me to have at least 2 offers in my hand but never advised me on how to decline offers... :(
I would advise not to rush turning things down. Unless you have more than two *official* offers in hand, you never know what kind of offer you are going to get. Sometimes, people use higher funding offers from schools as leverage, even if they know they won't go to the first school in the first place. Unless you are 100% sure that that's not where you would go, and the funding offer is bad, I'd encourage you not to rush too much.

blue_math
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by blue_math » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:05 pm

blue_math wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:04 pm
confused.graduate wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:27 pm
What's the rule of thumb when it comes to declining offers? Should we wait 3-5 days before doing so or asap when we know for sure we are not going?

I feel like it's awkward to decline an offer from schools (especially where you cannot accept/decline offers on an online portal).

Should I call them or send a long email? My advisor only told me to have at least 2 offers in my hand but never advised me on how to decline offers... :(
I would advise not to rush turning things down. Unless you have more than two *official* offers in hand, you never know what kind of offer you are going to get. Sometimes, people use higher funding offers from schools as leverage, even if they know they won't go to the first school in the first place. Unless you are 100% sure that that's not where you would go, and the funding offer is bad, I'd encourage you not to rush too much.

If you do know that that's 100% not where you're going, turn it down and give someone else the spot :)

Dragan
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Dragan » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:18 pm

pkzrd wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:01 pm
I poked Princeton and was informed decisions will start to come out this week - not sure if it means acceptances only or else.

Thought I'll pass it along.
Is that also for the PACM program?

confused.graduate
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:26 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by confused.graduate » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:05 am

blue_math wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:05 pm
blue_math wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:04 pm
confused.graduate wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:27 pm
What's the rule of thumb when it comes to declining offers? Should we wait 3-5 days before doing so or asap when we know for sure we are not going?

I feel like it's awkward to decline an offer from schools (especially where you cannot accept/decline offers on an online portal).

Should I call them or send a long email? My advisor only told me to have at least 2 offers in my hand but never advised me on how to decline offers... :(
I would advise not to rush turning things down. Unless you have more than two *official* offers in hand, you never know what kind of offer you are going to get. Sometimes, people use higher funding offers from schools as leverage, even if they know they won't go to the first school in the first place. Unless you are 100% sure that that's not where you would go, and the funding offer is bad, I'd encourage you not to rush too much.

If you do know that that's 100% not where you're going, turn it down and give someone else the spot :)
I see thanks

confused.graduate
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:26 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by confused.graduate » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:27 am

Dragan wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:18 pm
pkzrd wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:01 pm
I poked Princeton and was informed decisions will start to come out this week - not sure if it means acceptances only or else.

Thought I'll pass it along.
Is that also for the PACM program?
I don't expect to get in ucla mit or princeton, but can the acceptances/denials/waitlist on this forum and gradcafe be trusted? When are we expecting to hear back from them?

Just deny me already and let me move on with my life. I just want to get my receipts (denial letter). Some schools apparently don't send out rejections until April this is like borderline ethical - if these schools weren't intending to accept us in the first place (i.e. not consider us admissible or among possible second round offers) just send us the denials already and let us know. No one likes to be left hanging.

hormander
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:01 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by hormander » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:13 am

Seeing gradcafe results from UIC and Notre Dame. I wonder if anyone knows when can we expect to hear from them? It bothers me how the results coming out one by one.

bxbdhdj
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:00 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by bxbdhdj » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:22 am

confused.graduate wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:27 am
Dragan wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:18 pm
pkzrd wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:01 pm
I poked Princeton and was informed decisions will start to come out this week - not sure if it means acceptances only or else.

Thought I'll pass it along.
Is that also for the PACM program?
I don't expect to get in ucla mit or princeton, but can the acceptances/denials/waitlist on this forum and gradcafe be trusted? When are we expecting to hear back from them?

Just deny me already and let me move on with my life. I just want to get my receipts (denial letter). Some schools apparently don't send out rejections until April this is like borderline ethical - if these schools weren't intending to accept us in the first place (i.e. not consider us admissible or among possible second round offers) just send us the denials already and let us know. No one likes to be left hanging.
I poked MIT and UCLA. MIT told me the result will be released soon. Though it has been a week since I asked.. UCLA said they are still processing. sounds like they need a while

confused.graduate
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:26 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by confused.graduate » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:45 am

bxbdhdj wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:22 am
confused.graduate wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:27 am
Dragan wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:18 pm


Is that also for the PACM program?
I don't expect to get in ucla mit or princeton, but can the acceptances/denials/waitlist on this forum and gradcafe be trusted? When are we expecting to hear back from them?

Just deny me already and let me move on with my life. I just want to get my receipts (denial letter). Some schools apparently don't send out rejections until April this is like borderline ethical - if these schools weren't intending to accept us in the first place (i.e. not consider us admissible or among possible second round offers) just send us the denials already and let us know. No one likes to be left hanging.
I poked MIT and UCLA. MIT told me the result will be released soon. Though it has been a week since I asked.. UCLA said they are still processing. sounds like they need a while
Every school tells me that my application is "being reviewed", "being processed" or "still working on it", etc. It almost seem like their response is a standard copy and paste customer service reply. It's almost comical and depressing.

There are schools, where I personally know people that have gotten in (seen official email/letter), told me something like "We are currently processing applications and we expect to release decisions as early as February" (Ohio State), or "The admissions committee is currently working on applications and we plan to send out offers mid-February." (MIT) I don't know if they are trying to make me feel better or they are just clever with words.

Why can't they just be honest with us and say "look ... we send out our first round of offers and you are not good enough, wait patiently for second round for a chance or wait for your denial letter"

Hallauer
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:48 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Hallauer » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:44 am

hormander wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:13 am
Seeing gradcafe results from UIC and Notre Dame. I wonder if anyone knows when can we expect to hear from them? It bothers me how the results coming out one by one.
UIC was me. Do not expect to hear from them for another month. They have sent out only very few unofficial offers so far to people they are nominating for certain fellowships/RAships I think because they have to do that now and wanted to make sure the people were still considering UIC. But their main round of offers will not be for a month or so. Mainly the wait is because they are unsure of how many spots they will be able to offer (they expect fewer than in past years). But they will be sending out a full round of official offers in some number of weeks so you still have a decent chance to be accepted with a TAship. You just have to wait a while to hear sorry. I suspect other schools with some unofficial acceptances have similar situations: those accepted so far have been nominated for fellowships/RAships while they are waiting to send out the full round of offers.

yaskhn3
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:51 am

.
Last edited by yaskhn3 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sean_k
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:06 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by sean_k » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:00 pm

Guys, for those of you who applied to Yale, the portal has now changed. Seems like the decisions are coming soon

Ahmadreza
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Ahmadreza » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:25 pm

Does anyone know when UIUC will release its results?

yhimanshu484
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:20 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by yhimanshu484 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Reply received from University of Virginia when I poked them about my status:

The graduate admissions committee is still reading the many applications.
There was a huge increase in the number of applications this year, and so it is
taking a little longer this year. Some decisions may be announced next week.
However, I have to add that the process will be ongoing through early April.

bxbdhdj
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:00 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by bxbdhdj » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:55 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:45 am
bxbdhdj wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:22 am
confused.graduate wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:27 am


I don't expect to get in ucla mit or princeton, but can the acceptances/denials/waitlist on this forum and gradcafe be trusted? When are we expecting to hear back from them?

Just deny me already and let me move on with my life. I just want to get my receipts (denial letter). Some schools apparently don't send out rejections until April this is like borderline ethical - if these schools weren't intending to accept us in the first place (i.e. not consider us admissible or among possible second round offers) just send us the denials already and let us know. No one likes to be left hanging.
I poked MIT and UCLA. MIT told me the result will be released soon. Though it has been a week since I asked.. UCLA said they are still processing. sounds like they need a while
Every school tells me that my application is "being reviewed", "being processed" or "still working on it", etc. It almost seem like their response is a standard copy and paste customer service reply. It's almost comical and depressing.

There are schools, where I personally know people that have gotten in (seen official email/letter), told me something like "We are currently processing applications and we expect to release decisions as early as February" (Ohio State), or "The admissions committee is currently working on applications and we plan to send out offers mid-February." (MIT) I don't know if they are trying to make me feel better or they are just clever with words.

Why can't they just be honest with us and say "look ... we send out our first round of offers and you are not good enough, wait patiently for second round for a chance or wait for your denial letter"
Yeah that's what I came across as well. I could understand their logic in some sense: If they tell one person their rejection early, that person might go post somewhere online and everyone else will start poking them. The admission procedure might be disrupted then. I think that happened for MIT. Someone on this site said they go unofficial rejection from MIT. Then when I poked them, they just said those standard copied replies. Unless we have personal connection to the school, I think we will not get much information from them before the official results come out.

The only thing bothered me was what took them so long to process this year. And according to what i heard of, it's because many schools are not yet sure how many spots they could offer. The funding is a huge mystery this season. So I guess we can just sit back and be prepared for a loooong wait this year.

lebesgueboy98
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:16 pm

bxbdhdj wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:55 pm
confused.graduate wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:45 am
bxbdhdj wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:22 am


I poked MIT and UCLA. MIT told me the result will be released soon. Though it has been a week since I asked.. UCLA said they are still processing. sounds like they need a while
Every school tells me that my application is "being reviewed", "being processed" or "still working on it", etc. It almost seem like their response is a standard copy and paste customer service reply. It's almost comical and depressing.

There are schools, where I personally know people that have gotten in (seen official email/letter), told me something like "We are currently processing applications and we expect to release decisions as early as February" (Ohio State), or "The admissions committee is currently working on applications and we plan to send out offers mid-February." (MIT) I don't know if they are trying to make me feel better or they are just clever with words.

Why can't they just be honest with us and say "look ... we send out our first round of offers and you are not good enough, wait patiently for second round for a chance or wait for your denial letter"
Yeah that's what I came across as well. I could understand their logic in some sense: If they tell one person their rejection early, that person might go post somewhere online and everyone else will start poking them. The admission procedure might be disrupted then. I think that happened for MIT. Someone on this site said they go unofficial rejection from MIT. Then when I poked them, they just said those standard copied replies. Unless we have personal connection to the school, I think we will not get much information from them before the official results come out.

The only thing bothered me was what took them so long to process this year. And according to what i heard of, it's because many schools are not yet sure how many spots they could offer. The funding is a huge mystery this season. So I guess we can just sit back and be prepared for a loooong wait this year.
For sure. I also think that MANY more people applied to MIT (and other DANG TOP schools) because the situation with lax GRE requirements this year...

bxbdhdj
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:00 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by bxbdhdj » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:27 pm

Just got a rejection from princeton. Not surprised. Good luck everyone.

confused.graduate
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:26 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by confused.graduate » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:46 pm

pkzrd wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:01 pm
I poked Princeton and was informed decisions will start to come out this week - not sure if it means acceptances only or else.

Thought I'll pass it along.
How have you been getting such accurate information? Did you tap into their phones or something?

It seems school do't tell me the truth when I asked.

confused.graduate
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:26 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by confused.graduate » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:51 pm

bxbdhdj wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:55 pm
confused.graduate wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:45 am
bxbdhdj wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:22 am


I poked MIT and UCLA. MIT told me the result will be released soon. Though it has been a week since I asked.. UCLA said they are still processing. sounds like they need a while
Every school tells me that my application is "being reviewed", "being processed" or "still working on it", etc. It almost seem like their response is a standard copy and paste customer service reply. It's almost comical and depressing.

There are schools, where I personally know people that have gotten in (seen official email/letter), told me something like "We are currently processing applications and we expect to release decisions as early as February" (Ohio State), or "The admissions committee is currently working on applications and we plan to send out offers mid-February." (MIT) I don't know if they are trying to make me feel better or they are just clever with words.

Why can't they just be honest with us and say "look ... we send out our first round of offers and you are not good enough, wait patiently for second round for a chance or wait for your denial letter"
Yeah that's what I came across as well. I could understand their logic in some sense: If they tell one person their rejection early, that person might go post somewhere online and everyone else will start poking them. The admission procedure might be disrupted then. I think that happened for MIT. Someone on this site said they go unofficial rejection from MIT. Then when I poked them, they just said those standard copied replies. Unless we have personal connection to the school, I think we will not get much information from them before the official results come out.

The only thing bothered me was what took them so long to process this year. And according to what i heard of, it's because many schools are not yet sure how many spots they could offer. The funding is a huge mystery this season. So I guess we can just sit back and be prepared for a loooong wait this year.
I guess you are right, I do wonder how many emails they receive everyday asking for an application update. These copied and pasted emails really gets to me, not sure if things will be different if I call directly instead

Yeah all we can do is just sit back and wait... :cry:

pkzrd
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by pkzrd » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:50 pm

Dragan wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:18 pm
pkzrd wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:01 pm
I poked Princeton and was informed decisions will start to come out this week - not sure if it means acceptances only or else.

Thought I'll pass it along.
Is that also for the PACM program?
I'm sorry I don't know.

yaskhn3
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 am

Just received an offer from Penn State via email (International student)

pkzrd
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by pkzrd » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:22 am

have anyone tried to poke Harvard?

Catalan
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:44 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Catalan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:12 pm

I did yesterday. I asked the prof I applied to work with. They said they sent out all offers. :(

lebesgueboy98
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:19 pm

Anyone know about Harvard applied math? I haven't heard anything from them since submitting my application. Someone got in, according to gradcafe.

dumbquestionsonly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by dumbquestionsonly » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:22 pm

Just received Harvard rejection.

dumbquestionsonly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by dumbquestionsonly » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:32 pm

Has anyone heard anything about Cornell or Johns Hopkins and their timelines?

lebesgueboy98
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:42 pm

dumbquestionsonly wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:32 pm
Has anyone heard anything about Cornell or Johns Hopkins and their timelines?
Cornell applied math has began sending first rounds last week, not sure about JHU or either for pure math... good luck!

AnatolyBabakov
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:59 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by AnatolyBabakov » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:13 pm

lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:42 pm
dumbquestionsonly wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:32 pm
Has anyone heard anything about Cornell or Johns Hopkins and their timelines?
Cornell applied math has began sending first rounds last week, not sure about JHU or either for pure math... good luck!
any clue bout jhu app math?

hormander
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:01 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by hormander » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:19 pm

Saw a Courant acceptance on gradcafe. feeling increasing anxious that a lot of programs are sending out offers while I haven't heard from any one. Are the top candidates the only ones getting offers right now?

dumbquestionsonly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by dumbquestionsonly » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:46 pm

hormander wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:19 pm
Saw a Courant acceptance on gradcafe. feeling increasing anxious that a lot of programs are sending out offers while I haven't heard from any one. Are the top candidates the only ones getting offers right now?
Maybe. It makes sense that the top candidates are the ones who receive the first offers. On the other hand, I don't think you should trust gradcafe. Lots of potential lying going on over there.

collies20
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by collies20 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:38 pm

I can confirm that the posts about Courant acceptances are real. The offer letters from the department seem to be unofficial acceptances though, because gsas needs to approve the department's recommendation before sending official acceptances in a few weeks.

naruto
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:13 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by naruto » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:45 pm

collies20 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:38 pm
I can confirm that the posts about Courant acceptances are real. The offer letters from the department seem to be unofficial acceptances though, because gsas needs to approve the department's recommendation before sending official acceptances in a few weeks.
Thanks for the info. Anw, do you know if those offers are from applied or pure maths?

collies20
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by collies20 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:49 pm

naruto wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:45 pm
collies20 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:38 pm
I can confirm that the posts about Courant acceptances are real. The offer letters from the department seem to be unofficial acceptances though, because gsas needs to approve the department's recommendation before sending official acceptances in a few weeks.
Thanks for the info. Anw, do you know if those offers are from applied or pure maths?
I'm an applied math applicant, but not sure about the others

iliketopology
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by iliketopology » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:59 pm

I saw one Brown acceptance on gradcafe. Anyone know if that is real or have any information from them?

2eurokebab
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by 2eurokebab » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:59 pm

Just got my rejection from Duke. 0/1 so far
BRING ON THE REST

RunningOutOfHope
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:04 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by RunningOutOfHope » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:05 pm

Has anyone spoke with Columbia on when we can expect offers or if they have already sent them? Similarly with NYU, does anyone know if they are still sending offers or where the ones from today it?

yaskhn3
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:26 pm

Looks like NYU just made offers to Domestic applicants. IDK how hopeful I should be, being an international :/

UniformlyDivergent
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:32 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by UniformlyDivergent » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:36 pm

yaskhn3 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:51 am
Gradcafe shows UC Santa Barbara send out first wave of offers. Anyone from here got accepted?
Uh oh. I've been checking my UCSB app daily, and nothing new. Not exactly good tidings for me! :oops:

reluctantforumuser
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:35 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by reluctantforumuser » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:41 pm

UniformlyDivergent wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:36 pm
yaskhn3 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:51 am
Gradcafe shows UC Santa Barbara send out first wave of offers. Anyone from here got accepted?
Uh oh. I've been checking my UCSB app daily, and nothing new. Not exactly good tidings for me! :oops:
Just keep in mind that day in mid-January when there were 12+ Princeton posts on Gradcafe which were obviously all made up.

pseudorndnbr
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:10 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by pseudorndnbr » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:50 pm

collies20 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:49 pm
naruto wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:45 pm
collies20 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:38 pm
I can confirm that the posts about Courant acceptances are real. The offer letters from the department seem to be unofficial acceptances though, because gsas needs to approve the department's recommendation before sending official acceptances in a few weeks.
Thanks for the info. Anw, do you know if those offers are from applied or pure maths?
I'm an applied math applicant, but not sure about the others
Are you a domestic applicant?

yaskhn3
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:51 pm

.
Last edited by yaskhn3 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Post Reply