Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
woeinorwin
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:05 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by woeinorwin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:14 am

Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:26 am
woeinorwin wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:59 pm
lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:51 pm


Are people really posting "fake" offers? Who the heck are they trying to fool, that'd be strange. I have no idea if U-Chicago has sent any offers, if they have, it probably is unofficial I guess, it seems really early. Not sure though.
Hi! I am the one who posted on GradCafe that I received an offer from University of Chicago on Dec 24. To be honest, I was really surprised how early the decision is released though.
Congrats!!. Just out of curiosity- Did you get an email from Prof. Emerton and the committee asking you to check the portal, or was it a direct acceptance by email? Also, if you don't mind me asking, who is the chair of the admissions committee? I appreciate your help.
Thanks! I got a direct acceptance from Prof. Souganidis via email, and he is a co-chair of the admissions committee.

Dragan
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Dragan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:47 am

Hey there!

Anyone knows if any of the applied math programs at UW, Brown, NYU, Columbia, Princeton, or UChicago require interviews before final decisions or just straight offer?

lebesgueboy98
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:18 pm

Dragan wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:47 am
Hey there!

Anyone knows if any of the applied math programs at UW, Brown, NYU, Columbia, Princeton, or UChicago require interviews before final decisions or just straight offer?
Hey! Not sure about this exactly, but I am pretty sure at Princeton they do not (I have a friend who is there right now and there was no interview for them). I applied to Princeton, and have heard nothing from them thus far. Good luck! But do let me know if you hear anything about interviews.

Schauder
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:40 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Schauder » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:08 pm

lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:18 pm
Dragan wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:47 am
Hey there!

Anyone knows if any of the applied math programs at UW, Brown, NYU, Columbia, Princeton, or UChicago require interviews before final decisions or just straight offer?
Hey! Not sure about this exactly, but I am pretty sure at Princeton they do not (I have a friend who is there right now and there was no interview for them). I applied to Princeton, and have heard nothing from them thus far. Good luck! But do let me know if you hear anything about interviews.
Hi I know a few people who got in last year for Princeton's Applied program. None did an interview.

sean_k
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:06 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by sean_k » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:11 pm

woeinorwin wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:14 am
Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:26 am
woeinorwin wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:59 pm


Hi! I am the one who posted on GradCafe that I received an offer from University of Chicago on Dec 24. To be honest, I was really surprised how early the decision is released though.
Congrats!!. Just out of curiosity- Did you get an email from Prof. Emerton and the committee asking you to check the portal, or was it a direct acceptance by email? Also, if you don't mind me asking, who is the chair of the admissions committee? I appreciate your help.
Thanks! I got a direct acceptance from Prof. Souganidis via email, and he is a co-chair of the admissions committee.
Congrats! Do you mind if I ask what time of the day did you receive the email and also what the email says? Thank you!

kahdk
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:22 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by kahdk » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:22 pm

Is it only me or anyone else feeling really nervous recently? According to history, results are coming out starting this week. And I cannot resist checking Gradcafe all the time these two days. The waiting is so tough. And its really hard for me to focus on research recently.

pkzrd
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by pkzrd » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:38 pm

kahdk wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:22 pm
Is it only me or anyone else feeling really nervous recently? According to history, results are coming out starting this week. And I cannot resist checking Gradcafe all the time these two days. The waiting is so tough. And its really hard for me to focus on research recently.
Just don't think much of it - I personally cope by playing some video games. The more you check the more you get nervous. This year aren't exactly the same as last year so we don't know if the decisions will come out earlier or later; and if the decisions will come out in batches or one at a time.

Just sit back and relax, being worried is not healthy for your immune system. :D

kingcharles
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:28 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by kingcharles » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:28 pm

Has anybody heard from admin/faculty about application volume this year? Application volume typically goes up during downturns (for MBAs, etc.) but not sure if it applies to PhD programs and whether travel restrictions, mGRE cancellations, etc. have had an impact. It looks like postings on this forum have dwindled. Asking bc I know a lot of programs are pulling back on admissions, so wondering if there is a proportionate/corresponding decrease in number of applications or if we are looking at a competitive year.

bxbdhdj
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:00 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by bxbdhdj » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:52 pm

kingcharles wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:28 pm
Has anybody heard from admin/faculty about application volume this year? Application volume typically goes up during downturns (for MBAs, etc.) but not sure if it applies to PhD programs and whether travel restrictions, mGRE cancellations, etc. have had an impact. It looks like postings on this forum have dwindled. Asking bc I know a lot of programs are pulling back on admissions, so wondering if there is a proportionate/corresponding decrease in number of applications or if we are looking at a competitive year.
IDK about application volume but one professor in my school says they are cutting off the incoming class size by at least a half. Btw, I dont think postings at this site are dwindling. I think it has barely passed the application deadline and many people have not posted in the site yet. If you look at the post last year, the number of postings at this time last year are less than those of the present.

temporaryacct
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:23 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by temporaryacct » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:34 pm

As someone who went through this process last year, try not to be too neurotic about checking this forum or gradcafe. Just because some people have gotten in and you haven't heard anything, it doesn't mean that you didn't get in. Also this year in particular may take longer than usual because everything takes longer online. Departments are still figuring out spring term logistics. Try not to worry about it too much. You've already done all that you can and should be proud of the work you've done to complete the application process. Good luck everyone.

Dragan
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Dragan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:59 am

lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:18 pm
Dragan wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:47 am
Hey there!

Anyone knows if any of the applied math programs at UW, Brown, NYU, Columbia, Princeton, or UChicago require interviews before final decisions or just straight offer?
Hey! Not sure about this exactly, but I am pretty sure at Princeton they do not (I have a friend who is there right now and there was no interview for them). I applied to Princeton, and have heard nothing from them thus far. Good luck! But do let me know if you hear anything about interviews.
just checked gradcafe. It seems neither Princeton, Brown, NYU, nor Chicago asks for interviews. Still wouldn't count on that.

woeinorwin
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:05 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by woeinorwin » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:09 am

sean_k wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:11 pm
woeinorwin wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:14 am
Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:26 am


Congrats!!. Just out of curiosity- Did you get an email from Prof. Emerton and the committee asking you to check the portal, or was it a direct acceptance by email? Also, if you don't mind me asking, who is the chair of the admissions committee? I appreciate your help.
Thanks! I got a direct acceptance from Prof. Souganidis via email, and he is a co-chair of the admissions committee.
Congrats! Do you mind if I ask what time of the day did you receive the email and also what the email says? Thank you!
I got the e-mail on the morning of Dec 23. The email said that "the Committee has recommended you for admission. Due to the upcoming break, the official letter with the details of the offer will come by the middle of January. I wanted, however, to pass the news to you earlier," so I guess other admitted students will receive the official acceptance letter within mid-Jan as well.

soo
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:55 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by soo » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:30 am

woeinorwin wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:09 am
I got the e-mail on the morning of Dec 23. The email said that "the Committee has recommended you for admission. Due to the upcoming break, the official letter with the details of the offer will come by the middle of January. I wanted, however, to pass the news to you earlier," so I guess other admitted students will receive the official acceptance letter within mid-Jan as well.
Would you post basic app stats or in the app thread please?

dharmeshg
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:53 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by dharmeshg » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:27 pm

soo wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:30 am
woeinorwin wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:09 am
I got the e-mail on the morning of Dec 23. The email said that "the Committee has recommended you for admission. Due to the upcoming break, the official letter with the details of the offer will come by the middle of January. I wanted, however, to pass the news to you earlier," so I guess other admitted students will receive the official acceptance letter within mid-Jan as well.
Would you post basic app stats or in the app thread please?
+1...I was trying to search for your app status..thanks,

yaskhn3
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:07 am

Hopefully, UIUC will send out offers today. All the best to everyone.
Last edited by yaskhn3 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kahdk
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:22 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by kahdk » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:19 pm

yaskhn3 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:07 am
Hopefully, UIUC will send out offers today. All the best to everyone. If not, mass rejections on the 10th, just like last year.
If they do there should be at least one or two update on gradcafe or this site. But I've seen none yet. Just chill and wait. Schools may not send out offer at the same time every year.

yaskhn3
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:01 pm

kahdk wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:19 pm
yaskhn3 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:07 am
Hopefully, UIUC will send out offers today. All the best to everyone. If not, mass rejections on the 10th, just like last year.
If they do there should be at least one or two update on gradcafe or this site. But I've seen none yet. Just chill and wait. Schools may not send out offer at the same time every year.
Well, it's just 11AM right now. Let's see.

crystal_math
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by crystal_math » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:07 am

I emailed OSU's grad coordinator about when decisions are released and I was told that I will hear back with decision "most likely mid to late February." Should I conclude that I am probably rejected :oops: or am I reading into this too much?

nguyen99
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by nguyen99 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 am

crystal_math wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:07 am
I emailed OSU's grad coordinator about when decisions are released and I was told that I will hear back with decision "most likely mid to late February." Should I conclude that I am probably rejected :oops: or am I reading into this too much?
I asked the same question this week and I was told the same. Maybe I'm just overthinking too, but I think either

(a) we didn't get in the first round of offers and the second round is expected around mid to late February
or
(b) they are giving out offers very conservatively to prevent budget overflow and they don't expect people to respond by then

crystal_math
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by crystal_math » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:53 am

nguyen99 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 am
crystal_math wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:07 am
I emailed OSU's grad coordinator about when decisions are released and I was told that I will hear back with decision "most likely mid to late February." Should I conclude that I am probably rejected :oops: or am I reading into this too much?
I asked the same question this week and I was told the same. Maybe I'm just overthinking too, but I think either

(a) we didn't get in the first round of offers and the second round is expected around mid to late February
or
(b) they are giving out offers very conservatively to prevent budget overflow and they don't expect people to respond by then
Does OSU usually finish the first round mid Jan? I am basing this question on my observation on gradcafe and past threads on this forum.

yaskhn3
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:10 am

crystal_math wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:53 am
nguyen99 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 am
crystal_math wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:07 am
I emailed OSU's grad coordinator about when decisions are released and I was told that I will hear back with decision "most likely mid to late February." Should I conclude that I am probably rejected :oops: or am I reading into this too much?
I asked the same question this week and I was told the same. Maybe I'm just overthinking too, but I think either

(a) we didn't get in the first round of offers and the second round is expected around mid to late February
or
(b) they are giving out offers very conservatively to prevent budget overflow and they don't expect people to respond by then
Does OSU usually finish the first round mid Jan? I am basing this question on my observation on gradcafe and past threads on this forum.
I think it's safe to say that any observation from the past is likely not going to hold true due to the unprecedented circumstances. It's best to wait it out rather assuming things and then worrying when things don't happen the way they did past years. See UIUC for example. They are yet to send out offers.

crystal_math
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by crystal_math » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:08 pm

Any suggestions for funded masters programs in pure math (in US)? I found UM Duluth campus. Any other like it?

Dragan
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Dragan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:13 pm

anybody here feels anxious about posts in gradadmission subreddit and gradcafe about ppl getting offers now and I haven't heard back from any of my schools :oops: :oops:

kahdk
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:22 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by kahdk » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:40 pm

Dragan wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:13 pm
anybody here feels anxious about posts in gradadmission subreddit and gradcafe about ppl getting offers now and I haven't heard back from any of my schools :oops: :oops:
Ive never heard of gradadimission subreddit so I guess now I have one more source of anxiety lol. Just kidding, we are on the same boat but I think the majority of schools havent sent out decisions yet. So chill and wait.

crystal_math
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by crystal_math » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:11 am

Will adcoms focus on the prestige of the undergraduate program this year since there is no mGRE?

lebesgueboy98
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:37 am

crystal_math wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:11 am
Will adcoms focus on the prestige of the undergraduate program this year since there is no mGRE?
Highly doubt it. Prestige (alone) of undergraduate program has very little to do with who you are as a person and graduate school ability. I think undergraduate research experience/letters of rec./and high GPA regardless of undergraduate program will help far more than somebody who went to a prestigious institution with little research and a decent GPA. That being said, two candidates both who are equally as good from a prestigious and not so prestigious program... I am not sure about that.

crystal_math
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by crystal_math » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:01 pm

I want to apply to a last minute safety whose deadline is in Jan 15 but they require GRE general. Is it worth applying if I did not take the GRE? Will they look at my application at least? I think if they see what I have done, not taking the GRE will not matter but I am worried they will just toss it out w/o considering it. Thoughts?

confused.graduate
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:26 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by confused.graduate » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:08 pm

crystal_math wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:01 pm
I want to apply to a last minute safety whose deadline is in Jan 15 but they require GRE general. Is it worth applying if I did not take the GRE? Will they look at my application at least? I think if they see what I have done, not taking the GRE will not matter but I am worried they will just toss it out w/o considering it. Thoughts?
Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Hawaii deadlines are February 1st

Nebraska doesn't require GRE general.

crystal_math
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by crystal_math » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:11 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:08 pm
crystal_math wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:01 pm
I want to apply to a last minute safety whose deadline is in Jan 15 but they require GRE general. Is it worth applying if I did not take the GRE? Will they look at my application at least? I think if they see what I have done, not taking the GRE will not matter but I am worried they will just toss it out w/o considering it. Thoughts?
Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Hawaii deadlines are February 1st

Nebraska doesn't require GRE general.

But is it worth applying to a school which requires the GRE?

confused.graduate
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:26 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by confused.graduate » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:14 pm

crystal_math wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:11 pm
confused.graduate wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:08 pm
crystal_math wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:01 pm
I want to apply to a last minute safety whose deadline is in Jan 15 but they require GRE general. Is it worth applying if I did not take the GRE? Will they look at my application at least? I think if they see what I have done, not taking the GRE will not matter but I am worried they will just toss it out w/o considering it. Thoughts?
Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Hawaii deadlines are February 1st

Nebraska doesn't require GRE general.

But is it worth applying to a school which requires the GRE?
This is just my opinion.

I wouldn't apply to a school that REQUIRES general GRE if you don't have one and here's why - It sort of give the impression that you are not prepared for their application ahead of time.

crystal_math
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by crystal_math » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:19 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:14 pm
crystal_math wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:11 pm
confused.graduate wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:08 pm


Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Hawaii deadlines are February 1st

Nebraska doesn't require GRE general.

But is it worth applying to a school which requires the GRE?
This is just my opinion.

I wouldn't apply to a school that REQUIRES general GRE if you don't have one and here's why - It sort of give the impression that you are not prepared for their application ahead of time.
Is that because they might think you won't accept even if they made the offer? or is there more to it?

hctep
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by hctep » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:19 pm

crystal_math wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:11 pm
But is it worth applying to a school which requires the GRE?
Take this with a grain of salt. In my opinion, the general answer is no. Since you don't meet all the requirements, your application may be considered incomplete, and so they may not even read your application. But this year is quite different due to the pandemic, so it is possible that not having the score is still okay. I would suggest you contact the program directly.

crystal_math
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by crystal_math » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:40 pm

Are people more likely to post Major gpa in gradcafe? How is almost everyone from past cycles 3.95 and above? That is ridiculous !

Ahmadreza
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Ahmadreza » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:31 pm

Should we lose hope for the University of Chicago because an applicant got waitlisted? :? :?

kahdk
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:22 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by kahdk » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:37 pm

Ahmadreza wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:31 pm
Should we lose hope for the University of Chicago because an applicant got waitlisted? :? :?
I know one of my friend also getting waitlist email. Plus the tragedy just happened in uchicago yesterday...So I kinda just forget about uchicago :( . But still no rejection means some hope. Who knows what may happen.

Ahmadreza
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Ahmadreza » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Do they send the results of international students later than domestic ones?

Ahmadreza
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Ahmadreza » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:03 pm

kahdk wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:37 pm
Ahmadreza wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:31 pm
Should we lose hope for the University of Chicago because an applicant got waitlisted? :? :?
I know one of my friend also getting waitlist email. Plus the tragedy just happened in uchicago yesterday...So I kinda just forget about uchicago :( . But still no rejection means some hope. Who knows what may happen.
What do you mean by tragedy? Did they reject some applicants yesterday? :( :(

lebesgueboy98
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:37 pm

Ahmadreza wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:03 pm
kahdk wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:37 pm
Ahmadreza wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:31 pm
Should we lose hope for the University of Chicago because an applicant got waitlisted? :? :?
I know one of my friend also getting waitlist email. Plus the tragedy just happened in uchicago yesterday...So I kinda just forget about uchicago :( . But still no rejection means some hope. Who knows what may happen.
What do you mean by tragedy? Did they reject some applicants yesterday? :( :(
I’d assume they’re talking about the PhD student that was shot and killed yesterday in Chicago from some dude who went on a killing spree... not a good situation.

Ahmadreza
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by Ahmadreza » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:46 pm

lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:37 pm
Ahmadreza wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:03 pm
kahdk wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:37 pm


I know one of my friend also getting waitlist email. Plus the tragedy just happened in uchicago yesterday...So I kinda just forget about uchicago :( . But still no rejection means some hope. Who knows what may happen.
What do you mean by tragedy? Did they reject some applicants yesterday? :( :(
I’d assume they’re talking about the PhD student that was shot and killed yesterday in Chicago from some dude who went on a killing spree... not a good situation.
Oh, I didn't know. What bad news!

lebesgueboy98
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:55 pm

Ahmadreza wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:46 pm
lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:37 pm
Ahmadreza wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:03 pm

What do you mean by tragedy? Did they reject some applicants yesterday? :( :(
I’d assume they’re talking about the PhD student that was shot and killed yesterday in Chicago from some dude who went on a killing spree... not a good situation.
Oh, I didn't know. What bad news!
Right?! Horrible for sure. I didn't know either until I googled it, but the student wasn't a mathematics PhD student. Still, sad situation. I'd assume you'll hear back from Chicago soon :) good luck!

bxbdhdj
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:00 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by bxbdhdj » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:21 pm

What are those schools doing :twisted: . Still not hearing back anything. The waiting is killing me lol. :shock:

yaskhn3
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:22 pm

Ohio State has sent out second wave of offers. Check your applicant portal. Did anyone else get in? Any word on funding?

crystal_math
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by crystal_math » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:42 pm

nguyen99 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 am
crystal_math wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:07 am
I emailed OSU's grad coordinator about when decisions are released and I was told that I will hear back with decision "most likely mid to late February." Should I conclude that I am probably rejected :oops: or am I reading into this too much?
I asked the same question this week and I was told the same. Maybe I'm just overthinking too, but I think either

(a) we didn't get in the first round of offers and the second round is expected around mid to late February
or
(b) they are giving out offers very conservatively to prevent budget overflow and they don't expect people to respond by then
Alright, I will wait for OSU's rejection mid Feb then :cry: Congrats to everyone who got in!!

confused.graduate
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:26 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by confused.graduate » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:14 pm

crystal_math wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:42 pm
nguyen99 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 am
crystal_math wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:07 am
I emailed OSU's grad coordinator about when decisions are released and I was told that I will hear back with decision "most likely mid to late February." Should I conclude that I am probably rejected :oops: or am I reading into this too much?
I asked the same question this week and I was told the same. Maybe I'm just overthinking too, but I think either

(a) we didn't get in the first round of offers and the second round is expected around mid to late February
or
(b) they are giving out offers very conservatively to prevent budget overflow and they don't expect people to respond by then
Alright, I will wait for OSU's rejection mid Feb then :cry: Congrats to everyone who got in!!
It seems like people that have gotten in are all international, did anyone domestic got in?

bannanagamma
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:54 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by bannanagamma » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:27 pm

Not to be a downer but a couple of domestic students from my university have gotten into OSU. (I just figured y'all would want to know) That being said, I would definitely think it is way too soon to deem OSU's offers being over.

crystal_math
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by crystal_math » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:05 pm

Anyone heard from Stony Brook?

kahdk
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:22 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by kahdk » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:55 pm

bxbdhdj wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:21 pm
What are those schools doing :twisted: . Still not hearing back anything. The waiting is killing me lol. :shock:
Dude I feel you. I think the schools are all sending out decisions later than previous years. There are a bunch of offers/rejections/interviews on gradcafe this time last year. But it's been quiet for this year. Tough time to endure.

applepi
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:37 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by applepi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:49 pm

nguyen99 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:29 am
applepi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:54 pm
nguyen99 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:11 pm


Thanks, it went rather well and took a lot less time than I thought.
Do you mind sharing what was asked of you during the interview? Did they tell you that you got in or should you be expecting an offer?
I remembered that I was asked about the courses that I liked; if I applied for provincial grants; any research that I have done; and what topics that I might like. Nothing super technical, seems more like just a formality. Nothing was said about my decision.
This was extremely helpful for my own toronto interview, thanks so much dude :idea:

lia.lee
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:33 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by lia.lee » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:19 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:14 pm
crystal_math wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:42 pm
nguyen99 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 am


I asked the same question this week and I was told the same. Maybe I'm just overthinking too, but I think either

(a) we didn't get in the first round of offers and the second round is expected around mid to late February
or
(b) they are giving out offers very conservatively to prevent budget overflow and they don't expect people to respond by then
Alright, I will wait for OSU's rejection mid Feb then :cry: Congrats to everyone who got in!!
It seems like people that have gotten in are all international, did anyone domestic got in?
Yes. Domestics have gotten in, a friend of mine has. I have as well, and I am domestic.

yaskhn3
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:59 am

Ohio sent out another wave of offers as per Gradcafe.



Post Reply