Admission Chances (International Student)

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Xzcouter

Admission Chances (International Student)

Post by Xzcouter » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:42 pm

I have graduated as a math student over in the UAE, I am worried that since my university isn't really the most prestigious my chances getting into any decent grad school is basically next to 0. I feel l like I am extremely far behind the typical curve. My career aspiration is to be a professor.

GPA: 3.94/4.00

Test Scores: Due to the Pandemic I couldn't take the GRE.

Recommendation Letters: I am able to get good recommendation letters from my professors in my university including the professor I did my research paper under.

Research Experience: I have worked as a research assistant for 6 months and have written 2 papers alone with only some guidance from my supervisor, one of which got published. The thing is its just Chemical Graph Theory and I don't think the research is anything particularly impressive, my paper got published in the journal of Symmetry this year.

Research Interests: My interests lie in Algebraic Combinatorics and Graph Theory and am also open to Algebraic Geometry

Here are the schools I am applying to and would like to know if my expectations are realistic (with the exception of Harvard and MIT for which I know my chances are extremely slim):
  • MIT
  • Harvard
  • Brown University
  • BU
  • Tufts University
  • Brandeis University
  • Northeastern U
  • UMass Amherst
I am worried that I am setting myself up for failure.

HarukiY

Re: Admission Chances (International Student)

Post by HarukiY » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:49 pm

Hello, I think you have the chance to get into some of the programs on your list, but it would help to talk to the professors you are interested in beforehand, in order to figure out if they are open to new team members this year (the class size will be reduced due to the decreased funding :evil: ).
Good luck with everything!