Issue with University of Minnesota PhD recommendations.

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
yhimanshu484

Issue with University of Minnesota PhD recommendations.

Post by yhimanshu484 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:45 am

Dear all,
In the application portal for University of Minnesota, I have requested recommendations for my PhD application. But none of the recommendations request were received by my teachers. They even checked the spam folder. I have not submitted my application yet. I contacted their admission department but have not received any reply yet.

Is anyone facing the same issue?

confused.graduate

Re: Issue with University of Minnesota PhD recommendations.

Post by confused.graduate » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:13 pm

yhimanshu484 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:45 am
Dear all,
In the application portal for University of Minnesota, I have requested recommendations for my PhD application. But none of the recommendations request were received by my teachers. They even checked the spam folder. I have not submitted my application yet. I contacted their admission department but have not received any reply yet.

Is anyone facing the same issue?
Funny you mention that, I am having the same issue with Michigan.

yhimanshu484

Post by yhimanshu484 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:48 pm

I received a reply from the graduate department:

Thank you for your interest in the School of Mathematics PhD Program at the University of Minnesota. Unfortunately, our application system has been experiencing performance issues, which are being resolved. An email reminder was sent to your recommenders on 12/3/20. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best

yhimanshu484

Post by yhimanshu484 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:10 am

The issue with the application portal still persists. The Graduate Program Coordinator of University of Minnesota has asked me to get the recommendations letter mailed directly to him by my recommendation writers.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:29 pm

one of my letter writers had this issue but after I deleted and re-entered it worked. this was about a month ago. probably some glitches

applepi

Post by applepi » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:41 pm

:D
Last edited by applepi on Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:01 pm

applepi wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:41 pm
I'm having the same problem.... kind of regretted applying since my professors doesn't seem to want to mail letters out, it's extra hassle for them.
The deadline of Minnesota is tomorrow, assuming you're in North America.

Although a late lor will likely not hinder your application in a significant way, you should probably still sort it out asap.

applepi

Post by applepi » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:09 pm

I asked my professors to send the letter directly to the grad director instead. I'm in Canada so asking professors to mail the letters to the US will probably annoy them. And yeah I know, my professors do the letters like a day or two before they are due. Weird if you ask me

yhimanshu484

Post by yhimanshu484 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:19 pm

applepi wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:09 pm
I asked my professors to send the letter directly to the grad director instead. I'm in Canada so asking professors to mail the letters to the US will probably annoy them. And yeah I know, my professors do the letters like a day or two before they are due. Weird if you ask me
The professor has to send an email not an actual post. I will give you the details of the Graduate Program Coordinator of University of Minnesota, you can contact him, he will definitely help you sort the issue.

Robin Dixon
Graduate Program Coordinator (GPC)
University of Minnesota
EMail: gradprog@math.umn.edu