2021 REU Programs

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
blackboardrules
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:33 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by blackboardrules » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:38 pm

epsilon-delta31 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:13 pm
blackboardrules wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:21 pm
I was just accepted to Cornell SPUR! Will be declining. I meant to withdraw from the program earlier but couldn’t do so on Mathprograms.org because the deadline passed, but I will email them.
Congrats! Which program were you accepted for?
The one on Loop groups and Verlinde algebra :)

giraffe
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:49 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by giraffe » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:11 am

Has anyone done the Cornell REU before? I am a sophomore and this is my first time applying to REUs and I just got accepted to the Cornell Deep Learning REU and don't really know what to expect. Does anyone know if it's more theoretical or if there are applications involved as well? I couldn't find much information online about past programs.

spicyguava
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:24 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by spicyguava » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:28 pm

dmacdon1 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:07 am
spicyguava wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:25 pm
dmacdon1 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:03 pm


Yay! I accepted the offer to that program last week and am so excited to start! Which mentor will you be working with?
I'm waiting on responses from a few more programs before I accept, but assuming I do I'd be working with Jim Sochacki and Roger Thelwell. What about you?
I'm going to be working with Dr. Mike Lam
I ended up accepting a different offer, but good luck this summer at JMU! It sounds like it'll be a great program.

emmonsam
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:15 am

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by emmonsam » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:10 pm

emmonsam wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:29 pm
At what point is it acceptable to email people and ask about your application status?
I've applied to:

UVA topology
Cornell
ASU
HWS
RIT


I haven't received any acceptances nor rejections.
Just got an acceptance email from UVa topology :)

blackboardrules
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:33 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by blackboardrules » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:47 pm

emmonsam wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:10 pm
emmonsam wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:29 pm
At what point is it acceptable to email people and ask about your application status?
I've applied to:

UVA topology
Cornell
ASU
HWS
RIT


I haven't received any acceptances nor rejections.
Just got an acceptance email from UVa topology :)
Congrats! I thought they were done giving out offers, but I guess not. I didn’t apply to that one but the program looks great.

Jmr324
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 11:57 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by Jmr324 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:55 pm

I just received an email from a prof at CMU regarding the SUAMI REU asking if I am interested and to discuss this program.

DIJ
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:24 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by DIJ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:38 pm

Does anyone hear from Uconn Math REU for now?

hu_bryan
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 am

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by hu_bryan » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:05 am

Jmr324 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:55 pm
I just received an email from a prof at CMU regarding the SUAMI REU asking if I am interested and to discuss this program.
May I ask the professor's name just out of curiosity?

ish77
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:07 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by ish77 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:10 pm

Has anyone heard from CSU SB, PROMYS, or MSRI-UP? I'm still waiting on those 3.

AvailableProject4
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:29 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by AvailableProject4 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:31 pm

Just got rejected by MIT SGI :(

bananachboy127
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:42 am

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by bananachboy127 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:02 pm

ish77 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:10 pm
Has anyone heard from CSU SB, PROMYS, or MSRI-UP? I'm still waiting on those 3.
Promys is rolling admissions. A friend of mine got accepted yesterday, but I know of myself and 1 other person still waiting for a response. Hopefully they still have open spots!

MLA
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:57 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by MLA » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:15 am

Anyone heard from Clemson's Pre-REU?

INeedToBurn
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by INeedToBurn » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:13 am

AvailableProject4 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:31 pm
Just got rejected by MIT SGI :(
Me too

LetMeIn2401
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:22 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by LetMeIn2401 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:52 pm

The MIT SGI program is 6 weeks, which feels very short.

Cyclicduck
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by Cyclicduck » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:33 pm

AvailableProject4 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:31 pm
Just got rejected by MIT SGI :(
Rejection is hard, but remember that camels eat onions at MIT :mrgreen:

AvailableProject4
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:29 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by AvailableProject4 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:30 am

Has anyone heard from Fields Institute yet?

blackboardrules
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:33 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by blackboardrules » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:12 pm

AvailableProject4 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:30 am
Has anyone heard from Fields Institute yet?
I did, about almost 2 weeks ago, and I declined the position. They gave people till March 19th to answer though, so maybe the waitlist can come after that.

INeedToBurn
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by INeedToBurn » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:23 pm

Unfortunately I have been rejected/ghosted by all of the programs. Better luck next year! I will apply to Polymath as well as research at my own university (and other random jobs) in the hope to do something this summer. I'm sure there are many people in my shoes and I'm posting here to let yall know that you are not alone. It's ok to be rejected. I'm sure we can figure something out in the end <3

LetMeIn2401
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:22 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by LetMeIn2401 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:14 pm

Please do not think that REUs are your only chance at research. I had decent luck with REUs last year, but remember that ultimately what you are looking for is research experience not REU experience. Finding a faculty member with whom you have taken a class is often a great way of starting a research project. Personally my research projects with faculty member whom I knew well from classes were of much higher quality than the projects done under the umbrella of a program.

So don't take your rejections too personally, many people involved in the selection process have told me that it is ~extremely~ noisy.

Jmr324
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 11:57 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by Jmr324 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:19 pm

INeedToBurn wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:23 pm
Unfortunately I have been rejected/ghosted by all of the programs. Better luck next year! I will apply to Polymath as well as research at my own university (and other random jobs) in the hope to do something this summer. I'm sure there are many people in my shoes and I'm posting here to let yall know that you are not alone. It's ok to be rejected. I'm sure we can figure something out in the end <3
I wouldn't feel too upset. If I applied last year I wouldn't have had a chance at getting into any REU. Just work hard this summer and take some difficult courses next year.

aeiou12345
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:31 pm

DELETED

Post by aeiou12345 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:36 am

DELETED
Last edited by aeiou12345 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

AvailableProject4
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:29 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by AvailableProject4 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:52 am

Congratulations!!

I still haven't received anything from them and at this point I guess it's fair to assume that I didn't make the cut. Also got an official rejection from UVA today. :/

nonickels
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:23 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by nonickels » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:25 pm

Has anybody heard from Texas a&m or Ohio State? I assume I got ghosted since the deadline was so ling ago

spicyguava
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:24 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by spicyguava » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:54 am

nonickels wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:25 pm
Has anybody heard from Texas a&m or Ohio State? I assume I got ghosted since the deadline was so ling ago
I was accepted to Texas A&M on March 9th, but I declined the offer. It might depend on which project you applied to though, I applied to the Algorithmic Algebraic Geometry project.

nonickels
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:23 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by nonickels » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:11 pm

spicyguava wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:54 am
nonickels wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:25 pm
Has anybody heard from Texas a&m or Ohio State? I assume I got ghosted since the deadline was so ling ago
I was accepted to Texas A&M on March 9th, but I declined the offer. It might depend on which project you applied to though, I applied to the Algorithmic Algebraic Geometry project.
Ah I did as well, so I suppose that is a rejection, thank you for the response and congratulations! Hope wherever you go that it ends up well

MLA
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:57 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by MLA » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:10 am

Has anyone heard from Clemson? I applied for Pre-REU program, but if anyone's heard from their regular REU, that would be helpful information too.

AvailableProject4
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:29 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by AvailableProject4 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:32 pm

Was put on the waiting list for Ross counsellor. Don't know if everyone gets that by default though.

nonickels
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:23 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by nonickels » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:27 pm

Has anybody heard from Portland State?

Fibonacci_topology
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:01 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by Fibonacci_topology » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:49 pm

MLA wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:10 am
Has anyone heard from Clemson? I applied for Pre-REU program, but if anyone's heard from their regular REU, that would be helpful information too.
Clemson just sent out an official rejection claiming that they have filled all positions for the pREU and REU. Has anyone heard from Michigan State-Knot theory or Texas State-Combo?

raremeatsandcheeses
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by raremeatsandcheeses » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:25 pm

CSUSB acceptance letters are apparently going out. I was accepted! I will be going to UChicago though, but good luck to others who applied.

ish77
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:07 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by ish77 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 pm

I just found out I got accepted to the CSU San Bernardino REU and the UChicago REU. Is one of these considered to be better than the other? (I already go to UChicago too so I'm not sure if I should get out and explore)

hu_bryan
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 am

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by hu_bryan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:32 am

ish77 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 pm
I just found out I got accepted to the CSU San Bernardino REU and the UChicago REU. Is one of these considered to be better than the other? (I already go to UChicago too so I'm not sure if I should get out and explore)
By prestige, definitely Chicago.

lebesgueboy98
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:47 am

hu_bryan wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:32 am
ish77 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 pm
I just found out I got accepted to the CSU San Bernardino REU and the UChicago REU. Is one of these considered to be better than the other? (I already go to UChicago too so I'm not sure if I should get out and explore)
By prestige, definitely Chicago.
Definitely go out and explore. Doing the REU at your home institution (no matter how prestigious it may be) gives you limited interaction with others in your field, and less potential to get letters of recommendation from outside your home institution. Don’t worry about prestige, that’s honestly a horrible reason to decide something on. Go to wherever gives you the BEST opportunity, and where you’re interested in the research.

iliketopology
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by iliketopology » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:34 am

ish77 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 pm
I just found out I got accepted to the CSU San Bernardino REU and the UChicago REU. Is one of these considered to be better than the other? (I already go to UChicago too so I'm not sure if I should get out and explore)
I did the San Bernardino REU a while back and it was really really good. The leaders were incredibly nice and there was a huge amount of personal attention. It was also led just by the professors, no grad students. There are also only 8 students total.

As far as Chicago goes, yeah it’s got that prestige, but I’ve heard that that is like mostly grad student interaction and not a whole lot of guidance. This is also a much larger program.

I’ll also add that with San Bernardino, you will definitely do original research. With Chicago, you might, but I know some papers that come out of that are more exposition than (which is fine, it’s just different).

Dynamite47
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by Dynamite47 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:32 pm

iliketopology wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:34 am
ish77 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 pm
I just found out I got accepted to the CSU San Bernardino REU and the UChicago REU. Is one of these considered to be better than the other? (I already go to UChicago too so I'm not sure if I should get out and explore)
I did the San Bernardino REU a while back and it was really really good. The leaders were incredibly nice and there was a huge amount of personal attention. It was also led just by the professors, no grad students. There are also only 8 students total.

As far as Chicago goes, yeah it’s got that prestige, but I’ve heard that that is like mostly grad student interaction and not a whole lot of guidance. This is also a much larger program.

I’ll also add that with San Bernardino, you will definitely do original research. With Chicago, you might, but I know some papers that come out of that are more exposition than (which is fine, it’s just different).
I got admitted to the CSUSB REU earlier this week and I believe I’ll accept. The professors seem very nice and a fair few original papers are written every year. I’m excited to get my feet wet. Out of all the programs I applied to, this one had the topics that interest me most, and I know such an experience will be invaluable for grad school applications this Fall. Mind if I private message you a couple of questions regarding the overall structure of the program?

iliketopology
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by iliketopology » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:39 pm

Dynamite47 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:32 pm
iliketopology wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:34 am
ish77 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 pm
I just found out I got accepted to the CSU San Bernardino REU and the UChicago REU. Is one of these considered to be better than the other? (I already go to UChicago too so I'm not sure if I should get out and explore)
I did the San Bernardino REU a while back and it was really really good. The leaders were incredibly nice and there was a huge amount of personal attention. It was also led just by the professors, no grad students. There are also only 8 students total.

As far as Chicago goes, yeah it’s got that prestige, but I’ve heard that that is like mostly grad student interaction and not a whole lot of guidance. This is also a much larger program.

I’ll also add that with San Bernardino, you will definitely do original research. With Chicago, you might, but I know some papers that come out of that are more exposition than (which is fine, it’s just different).
I got admitted to the CSUSB REU earlier this week and I believe I’ll accept. The professors seem very nice and a fair few original papers are written every year. I’m excited to get my feet wet. Out of all the programs I applied to, this one had the topics that interest me most, and I know such an experience will be invaluable for grad school applications this Fall. Mind if I private message you a couple of questions regarding the overall structure of the program?

Oh yeah, please do PM me, I’d me more than happy to share.

Jmr324
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 11:57 pm

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by Jmr324 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:08 pm

Anyone here attending Baruch REU?

abelian.integral
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:42 am

Re: 2021 REU Programs

Post by abelian.integral » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:45 am

I just got an email from UCSB REU saying they're cancelling the program? Does anybody know anything about this? They told me something about the NSF cutting ties with lots of REUs this year and that others may be impacted as well. This really stinks. Please help me as I am very confused! :evil:



Post Reply