TAs have to pay Income tax

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Post Reply
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:15 pm

TAs have to pay Income tax

Post by karlweierstrass » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:39 pm

(This post is in reference to International students as IRS has different guidelines for domestic students, I suppose?)

Hi all!

I just found out that our TAship is Taxable as per IRS. Cornell puts a 14% tax on their TA fellowship. OSU offers a monthly stipend of ~$2350, but the amount credited is $1800-1900.

Does anyone know more about this? Where can one find the deductions for each University? Finally what sort of fellowships are non-taxable?

PS, please ignore my ignorance as I have never filed a tax return before and didn't know students had to do it too. It may sound obvious to many, but I didn't know about this until today. My apologies for starting a silly thread!

Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Re: TAs have to pay Income tax

Post by Cyclicduck » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:07 pm

You should probably work use the resources that your school provides to find accurate information. My understanding is that most universities do not withhold for domestics, but do withhold for internationals. I think if you're an international, you need an ITIN from a W-7 form (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna ... s-tin#itin) to pay taxes for your stipend. I believe in most cases, taxes are paid using form 1098-T (https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1098-t).

Generally the part of fellowships that cover tuition are not taxable, but the stipend portion is. Again, it would be better to use information from your university or official sources.

Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:28 am

Re: TAs have to pay Income tax

Post by nicole3 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:30 pm

You may have to save some of your paycheck for taxes at the end of the year! Be careful and read up on this

Post Reply