UChicago's First Round of Offers

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
SSLyn34

UChicago's First Round of Offers

Post by SSLyn34 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:47 pm

I am an international student and UChicago is really my dream school... Does anyone know whether UChicago has already sent out all of their first round of offers? Any information regarding UChicago's offers can be extremely helpful to me and I really appreciate that.

I guess there is a possibility that they are sending out offers to only Americans and international students with US degrees for now? Has any international student with degrees not in the States received any email or notification or offer from UChicago? Thank you guys for your help and understanding! Good luck to everyone!

kahdk

Re: UChicago's First Round of Offers

Post by kahdk » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:32 pm

SSLyn34 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:47 pm
I am an international student and UChicago is really my dream school... Does anyone know whether UChicago has already sent out all of their first round of offers? Any information regarding UChicago's offers can be extremely helpful to me and I really appreciate that.

I guess there is a possibility that they are sending out offers to only Americans and international students with US degrees for now? Has any international student with degrees not in the States received any email or notification or offer from UChicago? Thank you guys for your help and understanding! Good luck to everyone!
Hate to break it but one of my friends from a top Chinese school got waitlist email. That being said, no rejection means some hope. I also had a friend, who applied two years ago, getting offer from UChicago in March though she did not get any email before that. This year is special, let's just wait and see.

SSLyn34

Post by SSLyn34 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:41 pm

kahdk wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:32 pm
SSLyn34 wrote:

Hate to break it but one of my friends from a top Chinese school got waitlist email. That being said, no rejection means some hope. I also had a friend, who applied two years ago, getting offer from UChicago in March though she did not get any email before that. This year is special, let's just wait and see.

Thanks for sharing! I have also seen several waitlists from gradcafe as well and this gets me a bit confused. Do waitlists normally come along with offers? I thought that offers always come first and after the first round /most offers are released, we have waitlists and rejections. This is just my guess. Please feel free to correct me!

reluctantforumuser

Post by reluctantforumuser » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:47 pm

SSLyn34 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:41 pm
kahdk wrote:
SSLyn34 wrote:

Thanks for sharing! I have also seen several waitlists from gradcafe as well and this gets me a bit confused. Do waitlists normally come along with offers? I thought that offers always come first and after the first round /most offers are released, we have waitlists and rejections. This is just my guess. Please feel free to correct me!
I've heard that some admissions committees separate applications into piles according to factors like research interest and domestic/international status. So, it could be the case that they go through pile by pile, admitting however many and waitlisting others in the same category. I'm not sure if this is what UChicago does, though.

riemmanmath

Post by riemmanmath » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:05 pm

Usually they send mass rejections at the end of january, so hopefully we will know soon enough.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:15 am

kahdk wrote:
I also had a friend, who applied two years ago, getting offer from UChicago in March though she did not get any email before that.
Thanks for sharing that. :)

DOCTORFM

Post by DOCTORFM » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:08 pm

Anyone have an idea when the rejection letters will be sent out?

idmasterz

Post by idmasterz » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:49 pm

Based on some informal information I got from faculty, I'll just say reassuringly that no news is not necessarily bad news in this case. So all we can do is wait it out unfortunately!

SSLyn34

Post by SSLyn34 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:37 pm

idmasterz wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:49 pm
Based on some informal information I got from faculty, I'll just say reassuringly that no news is not necessarily bad news in this case. So all we can do is wait it out unfortunately!
Thank you for sharing!

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:12 am

Hey! Has anyone heard back yet? There seems to be zero transparency as to where Chicago is in the process right now. Sure, the first round of offers went out, but are there acceptances left to be sent out? Will more waitlists be sent out, or are they just going to stall us, and then send out a ton of rejections all on one day? This wait is really making me anxious!!😐

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:24 am

Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:12 am
Hey! Has anyone heard back yet? There seems to be zero transparency as to where Chicago is in the process right now. Sure, the first round of offers went out, but are there acceptances left to be sent out? Will more waitlists be sent out, or are they just going to stall us, and then send out a ton of rejections all on one day? This wait is really making me anxious!!😐
We'll just have to wait. It is only February after all.

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:32 am

pkzrd wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:24 am
Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
True I guess. I’m also in the same boat at UCLA.

crystal_math

Post by crystal_math » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:35 am

pkzrd wrote:
Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Anyone heard about NYU's timeline? I am in a similar boat there :(

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:37 am

crystal_math wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:35 am
pkzrd wrote:
Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Anyone heard about NYU's timeline? I am in a similar boat there :(
I’m actually a student at NYU. Don’t worry till we hit mid March. They send out quite a few offers till then.

idmasterz

Post by idmasterz » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:07 am

Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
From what I understand, there are more acceptances. So yes, unfortunately, we'll just have to wait! The pandemic has affected the decisions process for Chicago quite heavily I think.

kahdk

Post by kahdk » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:00 pm

idmasterz wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:07 am
Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
From what I understand, there are more acceptances. So yes, unfortunately, we'll just have to wait! The pandemic has affected the decisions process for Chicago quite heavily I think.
Hi! I have connections with a professor at Chicago and he helped me inquire the committee. That's exactly what he said. Here's their word "Unfortunately, this is a strange year and we have not made all our decisions yet." I guess we still have some hope, but I am not expecting too much at this point.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:06 pm

kahdk wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:00 pm
idmasterz wrote:
Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Hi! I have connections with a professor at Chicago and he helped me inquire the committee. That's exactly what he said. Here's their word "Unfortunately, this is a strange year and we have not made all our decisions yet." I guess we still have some hope, but I am not expecting too much at this point.
Did they mention anything about number of potential spots left or the cardinality of the waitlist? :(

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:55 am

pkzrd wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:06 pm
kahdk wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:00 pm
idmasterz wrote:

Did they mention anything about number of potential spots left or the cardinality of the waitlist? :(
I'm interested to know the same too! Earlier, I had heard rumors that they were only accepting 7 students this year. But if they are still not done with their decisions, then I could be wrong.

dharmeshg

Post by dharmeshg » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:59 am

how does it work for admissions?

we have seen a few acceptances and I know someone who is waitlisted but most of us have not heard anything? how can we interpret this for folks who have not heard anything yet?

thanks,

idmasterz

Post by idmasterz » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:23 pm

dharmeshg wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:59 am
how does it work for admissions?

we have seen a few acceptances and I know someone who is waitlisted but most of us have not heard anything? how can we interpret this for folks who have not heard anything yet?

thanks,
To be honest, I think it might have something to do with the Professor/subject area that you applied to. That might explain why there are spots left, and why some people got waitlisted quicker.

nth

Post by nth » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 pm

I was invited to Uchicago openhouse next week even though I am only in their waitlist. Anyone waitlisted at Uchicago also being invited to their openhouse? I dont know why they invite waitlisted people to their open house...

quanticbolt

Post by quanticbolt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:46 pm

I poked Chicago: Said they still haven't made any final decisions, so everyone who has not been outright rejected still has a shot. Good luck to everyone.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:36 am

nth wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 pm
I was invited to Uchicago openhouse next week even though I am only in their waitlist. Anyone waitlisted at Uchicago also being invited to their openhouse? I dont know why they invite waitlisted people to their open house...
Don't hold me liable to it but - you're probably high enough on the waitlist that they believe you will get a spot

I didn't get anything so you're definitely ahead of me on the waitlist :lol:

DOCTORFM

Post by DOCTORFM » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:15 pm

Just got a rejection letter from the website

quanticbolt

Post by quanticbolt » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:17 pm

DOCTORFM wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:15 pm
Just got a rejection letter from the website
Me too.