PhD Prep Study Groups

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
UniformlyDivergent

PhD Prep Study Groups

Post by UniformlyDivergent » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:57 pm

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about trying to form a couple of small study groups in preparation for the math PhD programs many of us will be starting in Fall (2021). Personally, I'm choosing to focus on Algebra and Geometry/Topology. I'm hoping to get a group of 4-5 individuals together, pick a book we all want to read/review, and work together on the exercises. Below are some suggestions I'm considering:

Topology (Munkres)
Algebraic Topology (Hatcher)
Intro to Algebra (Gallian)
Commutative Algebra (Atiyah/MacDonnald)
Homological Algebra (Rotman)

I'm open to others as well. If anyone is interested, hit me up, or let me know what you think in the thread.

Good luck out there. -UD

DOCTORFM

Re: PhD Prep Study Groups

Post by DOCTORFM » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:05 pm

I think this is a great idea, perhaps we could work through Complex Analysis by Ahlfors for a refresher on complex analysis.

blue_math

Post by blue_math » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:08 pm

UniformlyDivergent wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:57 pm
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about trying to form a couple of small study groups in preparation for the math PhD programs many of us will be starting in Fall (2021). Personally, I'm choosing to focus on Algebra and Geometry/Topology. I'm hoping to get a group of 4-5 individuals together, pick a book we all want to read/review, and work together on the exercises. Below are some suggestions I'm considering:

Topology (Munkres)

I'm open to others as well. If anyone is interested, hit me up, or let me know what you think in the thread.

Good luck out there. -UD
This is a great idea! Of all of those, I've heard that Hatcher tends to be a difficult (but standard) book, and I've heard good things about Munkres as well.

lebesgueboy98

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:48 pm

blue_math wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:08 pm
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:57 pm
Hey guys,

Topology (Munkres)

Good luck out there. -UD
This is a great idea! Of all of those, I've heard that Hatcher tends to be a difficult (but standard) book, and I've heard good things about Munkres as well.
Great idea for sure! Munkres "elements of algebraic topology" is a beast. IMO, Hatcher is more approachable/readable

Catalan

Post by Catalan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:41 pm

This is a great idea! I’m definitely down.

I’m particularly interested in learning complex analysis, algebraic topology, algebra, and differential topology. I just began reading Differential Topology by Guillemin and Pollack if anyone is interested in learning that too.

Would we meet through zoom?

UniformlyDivergent

Post by UniformlyDivergent » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:56 pm

Catalan wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:41 pm

I’m particularly interested in learning complex analysis, algebraic topology, algebra, and differential topology. I just began reading Differential Topology by Guillemin and Pollack if anyone is interested in learning that too.

Discussed this a little with a few others over PM, but what I'm thinking is set up a discord with channels for each of the "groups" (by subject, so one for Top, one for AT, one for Algebra, one for HA, one for CA, etc.) and do weekly or bi-monthly zoom/discord video chats to work on problems together. No pressure on being there all the time, but I really think having the social element will help with self-studying.

I'll post links later when I have it all set up.

blue_math

Post by blue_math » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:29 pm

Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:56 pm
Catalan wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:41 pm

Discussed this a little with a few others over PM, but what I'm thinking is set up a discord with channels for each of the "groups" (by subject, so one for Top, one for AT, one for Algebra, one for HA, one for CA, etc.) and do weekly or bi-monthly zoom/discord video chats to work on problems together. No pressure on being there all the time, but I really think having the social element will help with self-studying.

I'll post links later when I have it all set up.
Amazing! Super excited :) thanks @UniformlyDivergent

UniformlyDivergent

Post by UniformlyDivergent » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:08 am

Discord "Math Grad Study Groups" is up. Link is valid for 7 days, with a hard limit of 25 people. Anyone after that can be invited after the fact. This is just to reduce the risk of potential spam.

Link to a new discord setup: https://discord.gg/P4PKGcgc

2eurokebab

Post by 2eurokebab » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:28 am

Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:08 am
Discord "Math Grad Study Groups" is up. Link is valid for 7 days, with a hard limit of 25 people. Anyone after that can be invited after the fact. This is just to reduce the risk of potential spam.

If any program is dumb enough to accept me I'd love to join!

UniformlyDivergent

Post by UniformlyDivergent » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:30 pm

2eurokebab wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:28 am

If any program is dumb enough to accept me I'd love to join!
Two were dumb enough to accept me, so hop on in!

Meisel

Post by Meisel » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:30 pm

Is this still going on?

paulpn14

Post by paulpn14 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:21 am

Hey there, is this still available?

albynator

Post by albynator » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:07 pm

Seems like the invite is invalid, do you have a new link by any chance?