Poked Northwestern and got rejected, heartbroken, need suggestions

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
hormander

Poked Northwestern and got rejected, heartbroken, need suggestions

Post by hormander » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:49 pm

Hi guys, I just got rejected from Northwestern. FYI, I received formal admission to Rutgers, and unofficial ones to CUNY and Notre Dame. In historical data from this forum, I see that Northwestern is easier to get in than Rutgers. I feel really unfortunate that I am admitted by one and rejected by another. Since my girlfriend is attending school in Chicago, now I have to be in a LDR for at least a two or three years, which stresses me out. I wonder what are some choices for me? Is it even possible to transfer to Northwestern a few semesters later? Or should I consider UIC?

bannanagamma

Re: Poked Northwestern and got rejected, heartbroken, need suggestions

Post by bannanagamma » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:17 pm

If you have already applied to UIC, they won’t have decisions till the end of this month. So there is still hope!!

If you haven’t, then it’s totally possible to get your masters somewhere and transfer. Idk how common it is, but I do know people who plan on doing it.

I wish you and your partner luck :)

bxbdhdj

Re: Poked Northwestern and got rejected, heartbroken, need suggestions

Post by bxbdhdj » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:41 pm

UIC is a very strong and vibrant program, especially if you are intereseted in algebraic geometry. My professor (a pretty well-known algebraic geometer) actually said he thought UIC is in some sense better than UChicago as they are more "vibrant" with a broader reserach interests. There are a lot of math going on there. He worked there and Ian Agol was there. That's also why I applied to UIC as well. So I would say if you can get into UIC, it's in no sense "inferior to" Rutgers, CUNY, ND and even Northwestern! (Those are also great schools of course.) And UIC hasn't released most of their decisions yet.

P.S.: UIC is in Chicago downtown which is much safer and has better views than UChicago.

On the other hand, I understand it really hurts to separate from your gf. But LDR was somehow inevitable if you choose a mathematical career in academia. I think it's inevitable to travel a lot in your future career, for postdoc and so on, at least for the first couple of years. So I guess you need to accept that fact and make the best choice.

Good luck man!